2008 Projected Recruiting Class

metafour

I mentioned about a week ago that I would be doing one of these, so here it is. This "mock class" has been made using everything I've been told or have heard up to this point, I've refrained from using any personal bias and have settled for what appears to be most likely at this point (although there are a few on here which are being backed by intelligent "hope" if you will). The biggest flaw regarding these projections is that they'll obviously change on a near weekly (if not daily) basis, so take that into account when signing day rolls around and this thing looks totally different. If you want an example, had I posted this yesterday Courtney Upshaw would not have been on the list. Likewise, if I had posted this a week ago I would have been tempted to put Travis Howard on here (he has since then committed to OSU). If anything, it'tl give you something to look at and put some perspective on where we are currently at. The number of guys taken at each position will be one thing that will change - for instance - I have 5 DB's listed but I could easily see (or even expect) one or two more at that position. Also, some of the positional listings could go multiple ways (ie: Fortson as a WR/LB and Upshaw as a LB/DE). Having said all that, heres the list:

OFFENSE

QUARTERBACK (2)

Barrett Trotter

Birmingham, AL

6'2 195lbs

Deron Furr

Columbus, GA

6'3 220lbs

RUNNINGBACK (2)

Enrique Davis

Chatham, VA (PREP)

5'11 220lbs

Reggie Hunt

Daphne, AL

5'10 185lbs

FULLBACK/F-BACK (1)

Eric Smith

Seffner, FL

5'10 235lbs

WIDE RECEIVER (3-4)

Darvin Adams

6'3 185lbs

Kennesaw, GA

Harry Adams

Ft. Lauderdale, FL

6'0 180lbs

Jarmon Fortson

Columbus, GA

6'3 225lbs

Note: Could be listed as an ATH, could play defense (LB)

TIGHT END (1)

Vance Smith

Pace, FL

6'4 235lbs

OFFENSIVE LINE (3-4)

Jarien Moreland

Belle Glade, FL

6'4 320lbs

Antoine McClain

Anniston, AL

6'6 320lbs

Jermaine Johnson

Chatham, VA (PREP)

6'6 330lbs

Note: Should know his status in about a week or so. Not a lock to sign by any means.

DEFENSE

DEFENSIVE END (2-3)

Raven Gray

Wesson, MS (JUCO)

6'4 265lbs

Cameron Henderson

Birmingham, AL

6'5 245lbs

DEFENSIVE TACKLE (2-3)

Charles Deas

New Berlin, NY (JUCO)

6'4 315lbs

Jomarcus Savage

Huntsville, AL

6'2 260lbs

LINEBACKER (3-4)

Deshaun Barnes

Tallahassee, FL

6'3 200lbs

Note: Has apparently qualified and will enroll at Auburn. Could also play Safety.

Jerrell Harris

Gadsden, AL

6'3 220lbs

Chase Thomas

Marietta, GA

6'4 210lbs

Courtney Upshaw

Eufaula, AL

6'3 220lbs

Note: The biggest stretch on the list but is on here because of "news" I received today from someone who I usually trust when it comes to this sort of stuff. Upshaw is a current Alabama commit.

DEFENSIVE BACK (5-7)

Blair Irvin

Coffeyville, MS

5'11 185lbs

George Baker

Miami, FL

5'11 170lbs

Drew Cole

Picayune, MS

6'0 180lbs

T'Sharvan Bell

Seminole, FL

6'0 175lbs

Marcus Jemison

McAffey, AL

6'2 190lbs

Others To Watch

WR/ATH - DJ Woods

*Will take an official (probably the Iron Bowl week) and there is interest both ways.

DE/DL - Tevita Finau

*Will visit Iron Bowl week. I almost put him up on the actual list above, we have a good shot if he visits.

DE/OLB - William Green

*We are closing HARD on Green. Before the Ole Miss game I would have told you we had no chance but we now appear to at least be back in the hunt.

WR/S - Dekendrick Moncrief

*Will commit if he receives an offer. I've actually been told that there is a real chance that he ends up in this class (so look out for that), but by my own personal preference I didn't include him above.

S/LB - Dee Finley

*Right now, he's committed to Florida. We have backed off him but are expected to make one last push late in the game. I could easily see him switching commitments, but as of right now the answer is no.

LB - Patrick Trahan

*We want him back but it appears that he would rather go to Ole Miss where he will face no competition for a starting position.

S/DB - Johnnie Dixon

*Apparently he's back on the radar and could very easily be resigned if he makes the grade, although I dont see that as being very likely as of right now.

CB - TJ Bryant

*We're creeping back up the list for Bryant who will probably visit later this year. We've got the firepower to draw Bryant but like most of the guys above, Its not a very big possibility at the moment.

OL - Freddie Smooth

*Oklahoma apparently leads because they're recruiting him as a DT. Not sure how hard we're actually recruiting him, but look for him to visit in the near future.

S - Karnell Hatcher

*I believe that he's going to be visiting us, right now this one is a long shot .

WR - DeAndre Brown

*We probably wont get him but he's freaking awesome so I put him on here. From what I've heard he's not likely to qualify.

Do you think that Deas will be eligible? I have been told that this is unlikley, but that he is a beast , and really loves AUBURN.

Do you think that Deas will be eligible? I have been told that this is unlikley, but that he is a beast , and really loves AUBURN.

As of right now Deas looks to be eligible. He should have taken the ACT this past Saturday. As with all of the JUCO/Prep kids, none of them are really guarantees until they actually get into school.

I thought Auburn was going to have a "limited" class this year. You have 27 potential signees with 12 who to watch for. What gives? How many do you think Auburn will sign this year? If we can sign all 27 of these guys, are there some upper classmen that are about to lose their scholly?

I thought Auburn was going to have a "limited" class this year. You have 27 potential signees with 12 who to watch for. What gives? How many do you think Auburn will sign this year? If we can sign all 27 of these guys, are there some upper classmen that are about to lose their scholly?

We have room for about 23-24 with the possibility of signing another few who may not qualify. I only have 25 actual "commits" listed. The "Watch for" guys would obviously replace/take spots of others (if needed, that is).

The talk of a limited class was before half of last year's class failed to qualify, several players flunked out, others transferred, and one left due to injury.

Great info...will you keep it updated?

I might as well update it every once in a while...

That would be great, maybe you could sticky it.

Wow. Best post I've read yet on this board....for a second there, I thought it was a hi-jacked version of the Hot Board or War Room. But then under further investigation, I realized this was much better. Barner and Jerk ought to take notes - this is better than anything of the "premium" sort they put out and it is FREE. Everyone owes you a big attaboy for putting this together.

If we land Upshaw, Harris and McClain that would be HUGE. Especially if we get full qualifiers and we pick up as expected in JUCO/PREP.

An Upshaw switch alone would put the bammers in meltdown mode.

I think Harris is the must have out of the whole group.

• 1 month later...

Since we now have CTF's offense, would that change the commits from the FB and the TE?

Like I said in the Eric Smith thread; the change in offensive philosophy could indeed impact his recruitment heavily. As far as the TE (Vance Smith), I have been told that he should be considered more of an ATH. Franklin's offense does use TE's but Vance Smith isn't the type of TE that is utilized in this offense. I've been told by one person that he is a likely candidate for a position change...possibly to the OL.

• 3 weeks later...

Great info...will you keep it updated?

I might as well update it every once in a while...

Could you do that now that it's been a few weeks? Thanks

I'll get on it but I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to post a full update. I've been out of the loop a bit recently (holiday season and such) and at times my "work" is the equivalent of pulling teeth :D. Some of the guys I talk to like to reveal as little as possible, or give out little "hints" without going to detail. I can tell you all that the last thing I heard was that there could/should be two recruits who haven't been talked about who could/should "pop up" and end up signing with us. Thats all I got so far so I'm as stumped as any of you would be seeing as how I've got a few in mind who I think could be the "mystery recruits", but I have no confirmation.

I'll get on it but I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to post a full update. I've been out of the loop a bit recently (holiday season and such) and at times my "work" is the equivalent of pulling teeth :D. Some of the guys I talk to like to reveal as little as possible, or give out little "hints" without going to detail. I can tell you all that the last thing I heard was that there could/should be two recruits who haven't been talked about who could/should "pop up" and end up signing with us. Thats all I got so far so I'm as stumped as any of you would be seeing as how I've got a few in mind who I think could be the "mystery recruits", but I have no confirmation.

I have noticed Mr. Upshaw is visiting on the 11th...hmmmmmmmm...maybe a suprise?

Would be great to see.

• 1 month later...

coley white who goes to school with reggie hunt just commited to wvu. reggie was with coley when he visited wvu this last weekend. something to watch out for... reggie may not be a lock...

Archived