If Kansas goes unbeaten?

auburn_eagle34

I was watching sportscenter last night and Kirk Herbstreit was asked what would happen if Kansas went unbeaten but LSU and OSU also won out. Of course he brought up '04 Auburn (He said he would take Mark Mangino down to Auburn and introduce him to CTT and they could have a nice long chat) basically implying that an undefeated Kansas team would be left out in favor of LSU. This kinda pissed me off a bit, the thought of a team getting screwed like we did. I am curious know what you all think as Auburn and SEC fans. Does a one loss LSU team deserve to go to the title over an undefeated Kansas team (who would have wins over Missouri and most likely Oklahoma, 2 top 7 teams.)?

My opinion, we need a plus one system soon.

I was watching sportscenter last night and Kirk Herbstreit was asked what would happen if Kansas went unbeaten but LSU and OSU also won out. Of course he brought up '04 Auburn (He said he would take Mark Mangino down to Auburn and introduce him to CTT and they could have a nice long chat) basically implying that an undefeated Kansas team would be left out in favor of LSU. This kinda pissed me off a bit, the thought of a team getting screwed like we did. I am curious know what you all think as Auburn and SEC fans. Does a one loss LSU team deserve to go to the title over an undefeated Kansas team (who would have wins over Missouri and most likely Oklahoma, 2 top 7 teams.)?

i garuntee if auburn, alabama, or lsu played Kansas' schedule there would be no doubt in my mind all 3 would be undefeated

i garuntee if auburn, alabama, or lsu played Kansas' schedule there would be no doubt in my mind all 3 would be undefeated

i dont think so. If auburn lost early games to MS State and USF..we wouldve lost early games to someone stupid like Texas Tech and Oklahoma State.

The reason 04 was such an injustice for Auburn is because we went undefeated IN THE SEC.

If they go undefated its not that big a deal if you ask me because they did in who knows whatever conference they are in. And they would have wins over Missouri and Oklahoma 2 top 7 teams. Who makes them top 7? Espn and the pollster who have been completely wrong all year. I mean Michigan 12? BC was 2? whatever. Put Kansas in the SEC are they still undefeated no way. In my mind if you don't play in the SEC you are not legit. Even if you beat 1 good SEC team that doesn't make you legit. Playing in the SEC means you have to do it week in and week out. Thats what maks it so tough. Especially like this year when we are gonna have 11 bowl eligible teams and we only have 12 teams in our conference. We though last year was stacked with 9 bowl eligible. 11/12 is pretty darn good. Try going undefeated or even just 1 loss in a conference who weakest opponent are also bowl eligible. Even Ole Miss who won't be bowl eligible plays almost everyone close.

If Kansas wins out, they will have to have beaten a top ten Missouri team, then a top five Oklahoma team in the Big XII title game to have done so. I would have to give them the nod over LSU with one loss. Plus, LSU's competition in the SEC title game will have at least two if not 3 losses when they play them. That's much different than facing a one-loss top five team in your conference title game.

If they were both undefeated, I'd give the nod to LSU, but that loss to Kentucky who might not even be ranked by season's end is a big knock on them.

I was watching sportscenter last night and Kirk Herbstreit was asked what would happen if Kansas went unbeaten but LSU and OSU also won out. Of course he brought up '04 Auburn (He said he would take Mark Mangino down to Auburn and introduce him to CTT and they could have a nice long chat) basically implying that an undefeated Kansas team would be left out in favor of LSU.

I find it odd that jackass brought us up. He pissed me off terribly in 04 saying "when AU defeats UGA, then I'll give them credit". We did. Then he says "when AU defeats rival Alabama, then I'll give them credit". We did. Then he said "when AU defeats Tennessee a second time, then I'll give them credit". We did. His credit never came. I know he's a voter and I feel ESPN sways several voters primarlily coaches (since they don't get to watch all the games). I guess he's getting an early start on painting a hypothetically undefeated Kansas out of the race. However, I do agree they shouldn't go, nor should an undefeated OSU (wonder if that is why he is starting to kick Kansas???). I think it should be LSU vs Oregon, assuming they win out.

Yeah, i dunno though. They beat K State at K State and we damn near lost at home to them. You could also say the same about Ohio state's schedule though (their best win is against Penn St.).

There is no way an undefeated team from a BCS conference should get bypassed by a one-loss team. Period.

I agree. As much as I would like to see an SEC team prevail again, I think integrity demands that an undefeated team from a good conference (Even if it's not the SEC. Are we reading our own press clippings too much?) should always get the nod over a one-loss team. After all, an undefeated team took care of business on the field, not by politicking sportswriters. However, I believe Boise State last year and Hawaii this year simply are not equivalent products of a Kansas, an LSU, or an Ohio State.

Definitely Kansas if they run the table.

And by the way...how are we watching the best team in the SEC head to the national title game again? This is not helping me get over 2004.

I guess I am an SEC Biased person. Definitely LSU gets the nod in my opinion and that is what would happen. LSU played a more difficult schedule and has proven they can defeat the best teams. We all know what happens when an SEC team gets to the Title game - they win.

Kansas doesn't have respect yet (see OU being ranked ahead of them). If they want to get into the NC game, they need to schedule tougher OOC games on the year they don't play anyone in conference. Oooo, 1 win over OU - big deal. Most teams in the country can claim 1 big win a year. Mizzou is not a big win. LSU will have many big wins, regardless of rank. We had the same discussion last year with Rutgers and we all saw what happened to them. Auburn got screwed because two BCS undefeated teams were ahead of them and the media hyped up OU-USC. You take the two best teams. If you guys think Kansas should get in, then they should be ranked #2 RIGHT NOW. Not "if they beat OU."

And for all those who are about the "Plus 1" system - I could be wrong, but I don't think you guys really understand how the Plus 1 works. To my understanding, if it were to exist, we would take the original bowl system and then the top 2 after that play. It is not where LSU would play OSU and the winner plays Kansas. OSU would play Oregon in the Rose and LSU would play whomever in the Sugar (Kansas goes to the Fiesta). So we would probably still have LSU vs OSU. Same thing in '04. Auburn wouldn't play the winner of OU/USC because 1) why would OU and USC play in a bowl game and 2) Why would USC have to play #2 when AU has an easier VT opponent.

Do you think Kansas is better than LSU? That is the real question

And for all those who are about the "Plus 1" system - I could be wrong, but I don't think you guys really understand how the Plus 1 works. To my understanding, if it were to exist, we would take the original bowl system and then the top 2 after that play. It is not where LSU would play OSU and the winner plays Kansas. OSU would play Oregon in the Rose and LSU would play whomever in the Sugar (Kansas goes to the Fiesta). So we would probably still have LSU vs OSU. Same thing in '04. Auburn wouldn't play the winner of OU/USC because 1) why would OU and USC play in a bowl game and 2) Why would USC have to play #2 when AU has an easier VT opponent.

You could be wrong, and you are wrong! There are two plus one systems in theory. One is a mini 4 team tournament, #1vs#4, and #2vs#3 and the winners play. The other is that all the bowl games are played with their traditional matchups (Rose gets Pac-10 Big 10, Sugar gets SEC, etc) and after that a new set of rankings comes out and the top 2 teams play the next week for the championship.

You could be wrong, and you are wrong! There are two plus one systems in theory. One is a mini 4 team tournament, #1vs#4, and #2vs#3 and the winners play. The other is that all the bowl games are played with their traditional matchups (Rose gets Pac-10 Big 10, Sugar gets SEC, etc) and after that a new set of rankings comes out and the top 2 teams play the next week for the championship.

I had only heard of the latter (which is why I mentioned I COULD be wrong - hey it happens. But I gotta save my butt).

I guess I am an SEC Biased person. Definitely LSU gets the nod in my opinion and that is what would happen. LSU played a more difficult schedule and has proven they can defeat the best teams. We all know what happens when an SEC team gets to the Title game - they win.

LSU's schedule:

at Miss. St.

Va. Tech

Middle Tennessee St.

S. Carolina

at Tulane

Florida

at Kentucky

Auburn

at Alabama

La. Tech

at Ole Miss

Arkansas

(possible SEC title game) vs Georgia (currently 2 losses) or Tennessee (currently 3 losses)

Kansas' schedule:

Central Michigan

S.E. Louisiana

Toledo

Fla. Intenational

at Kansas St.

Baylor

at Colorado

at Texas A&M

Nebraska

at Okla. St.

Iowa St.

Missouri (currently ranked 7th, 1 loss)

(possible Big XII title game) vs Oklahoma (currently ranked #4, 1 loss)

I'd say by the end of that schedule, if Kansas is undefeated and LSU has one loss, the schedules are comparable, especially at the end and the Jayhawks should get the nod. What SEC teams have done in previous years of the title game isn't relevant.

Kansas doesn't have respect yet (see OU being ranked ahead of them). If they want to get into the NC game, they need to schedule tougher OOC games on the year they don't play anyone in conference. Oooo, 1 win over OU - big deal. Most teams in the country can claim 1 big win a year. Mizzou is not a big win. LSU will have many big wins, regardless of rank. We had the same discussion last year with Rutgers and we all saw what happened to them. Auburn got screwed because two BCS undefeated teams were ahead of them and the media hyped up OU-USC. You take the two best teams. If you guys think Kansas should get in, then they should be ranked #2 RIGHT NOW. Not "if they beat OU."

Sorry, but Missouri is a darn good team this year as is Oklahoma. And your last sentence is nonsense. Thus far in the schedule, LSU's schedule is stronger. But if it plays out like I mentioned above, I think KU's strength of schedule will have improved enough that coupled with an undefeated team vs a 1 loss team (and that one loss being against a possible 4-loss Kentucky), there's no legitimate reason not to give them the nod.

Right now? Not sure. Probably not, though KU's passing offense would match up well with the current weakness of LSU...pass defense. But by season's end if both win out, I'd probably say yes.

LSU's schedule:

at Miss. St.

Va. Tech

Middle Tennessee St.

S. Carolina

at Tulane

Florida

at Kentucky

Auburn

at Alabama

La. Tech

at Ole Miss

Arkansas

(possible SEC title game) vs Georgia (currently 2 losses) or Tennessee (currently 3 losses)

Kansas' schedule:

Central Michigan

S.E. Louisiana

Toledo

Fla. Intenational

at Kansas St.

Baylor

at Colorado

at Texas A&M

Nebraska

at Okla. St.

Iowa St.

Missouri (currently ranked 7th, 1 loss)

(possible Big XII title game) vs Oklahoma (currently ranked #4, 1 loss)

I'd say by the end of that schedule, if Kansas is undefeated and LSU has one loss, the schedules are comparable, especially at the end and the Jayhawks should get the nod. What SEC teams have done in previous years of the title game isn't relevant.

Sorry, but Missouri is a darn good team this year as is Oklahoma. And your last sentence is nonsense. Thus far in the schedule, LSU's schedule is stronger. But if it plays out like I mentioned above, I think KU's strength of schedule will have improved enough that coupled with an undefeated team vs a 1 loss team (and that one loss being against a possible 4-loss Kentucky), there's no legitimate reason not to give them the nod.

Right now? Not sure. Probably not, though KU's passing offense would match up well with the current weakness of LSU...pass defense. But by season's end if both win out, I'd probably say yes.

Titan, you make excellent points and I respect them.

But do you honestly feel KU's SOS is equal to that of LSUs? LSU by season's end will have played six Top 25 teams compared to Kansas' two? USC is no longer ranked, so I guess you could say five for LSU if you use today's rankings. UK will probably fall out as well, dropping it to four. But USC and UK are probably more respected this year than what Kansas has played up to this year.

IMO, it's all gonna work out - Kansas will lose to Mizzou or Oklahoma

That is a tough one. There is no doubt that LSU has played a much tougher schedule. Is LSU better? To be honest, I have not watched Kansas this year, so I don't really have enough info to make an informed decision.

I'm just hoping that whatever happens in the BCS is a train wreck that has people up in arms and that we get another step closer to a four or eight team playoff.

Kansas would deserve to go, if you were to compare their schedule now to our schedule in 04 you can't really say that ours is that much tougher, the Big 12 is still a good football conference. Missouri, Texas Tech, Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Texas A&M, and Colorado are all teams that can beat you any week IMO, some maybe requiring more luck than others, but coming from what we went through, I just can't say that they wouldn't deserve to go. If any unbeaten team gets held out it should be Ohio State for doing it against a terrible conference and their recent failure in the championship game, not Kansas.

Kansas would deserve to go, if you were to compare their schedule now to our schedule in 04 you can't really say that ours is that much tougher,

Did I miss something?

Kansas hasn't played a Top 25 team yet. This point in '04 Auburn had beaten Top 10 teams in LSU and Tennessee. With this upcoming week being a win over like 6th ranked Georgia! There was also a victory over Arkansas, which was decently looked upon at the time. That makes three top 10 victories. What has Kansas accomplished that is similar?

Does anyone seem to remember that Ohio St. is not that great of a team even though they are currently undefeated. And I am basing my opinion on the fact that their schedule is not exactly a brutal one. But never the less, they have to play Michigan and I firmly believe that they are going to lose that one so you maybe looking at a LSU-KU championship game.

Hey, watch out - I graduated from KU!

Go Hawks!

Rock Chalk, Jay Hawk, KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

When I was at school there, we got free tickets to the season opener football game with proof of purchase of a package of lunch meat! (This is true - no joking.)

Now since we are out of it, I'd love for the Jay Hawks to go to the BCS Championship Game with a pointy ended ball!

KU Law '90

Does anyone seem to remember that Ohio St. is not that great of a team even though they are currently undefeated. And I am basing my opinion on the fact that their schedule is not exactly a brutal one. But never the less, they have to play Michigan and I firmly believe that they are going to lose that one so you maybe looking at a LSU-KU championship game.

Excellent point. Based on schedules alone, OSU hasn't played competition any different from Kansas. Unfortunately for KU, OSU has that Media respect thing going for them.

This is why the national championship race is so stupid. Do you think LSU is better than Kansas?

People actually get to make this decision. People who don't play football. People who have opinions. People who write newspaper articles. People who coach football and maybe watch sportscenter to see what other teams won. People who gamble. People who have predispositions about certain teams. People who believe the number of stars a high school athlete has determines a college football team's ranking. People who have an affinity for certain coaches. People who rank teams' schedules based off of other peoples' team rankings.

It's never played on the field. '04 Auburn taught me to forget about the BCS championship unless it's an obvious #1 vs #2 (2005). I enjoy watching the SEC look good in the bowl games. However, please spare me the BCS nonsense unless it means a trip for me to watch Auburn play in the Sugar Bowl.

Just to play the versus game, straight up schedule week to week, LSU's SOS is MUCH greater than Kansas'.

Schedule (LSU) vs. Schedule (Kansas)Miss. St. > Central Michigan

Va. Tech > S.E. Louisiana

Middle Tennessee St. = Toledo

S. Carolina > Fla. International

Tulane < Kansas St

Florida > Baylor

Kentucky > Colorado

Auburn > Texas A&M

Alabama > Nebraska (maybe)

La. Tech < Okla. St

Ole Miss > Iowa St

Arkansas = Missouri