PF: Tide's ugly loss cause for concern

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/sports/press-register/pf...&thispage=1

Tide's ugly loss cause for concern

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

That sound you heard late Saturday afternoon was Bear Bryant rolling over in his grave. Nearly a quarter century after his death, his beloved football program has seemingly fallen and it can't get up.

On Saturday, against a directional school from northeast Louisiana, one who plays in a league whose champion earns an automatic berth into something called the New Orleans Bowl, the Tide(tanic) :lol: hit another iceberg, shredding this season into four million pieces and raising questions for the first time whether Nick Saban has a solid handle on his job as head football coach at Alabama.

The loss was shockingly bad. However, considering the depths of despair this program has reached over the last few years, it probably shouldn't have been surprising.

The good news for Alabama is there is one last shot at deliverance -- the Iron Bowl Saturday at Jordan-Hare Stadium. The bad news is that a loss, whether it's a blowout or a last-second field goal, will be the sixth straight to a rival it used to own and has always looked down on. Guess who will be looking down on whom Saturday night if the streak goes to a second hand?

And while there is reason for optimism about the future because of the bountiful number of high school commitments Saban has picked up leading into February's national signing date, will any of them possibly reconsider should they take a closer look at the events of Saturday's nightmare at Bryant-Denny Stadium?

Do you think when Saban makes the in-house visits to the top blue-chippers in the next few weeks, he'll have a ready explanation for why the Alabama fans roundly booed his team on Senior Day with their families looking on in the stands with horrified expressions?

Saban warned the Alabama faithful in the offseason that booing is bad for business. He repeated that admonition at every stop on the rubber-chicken circuit. However, based on Saturday's embarrassing scene, it appears the fans now pay about as much attention to him as his Alabama players.

Do you think Saban will be able to go into the home of top recruits and make a case that Alabama is a program built on class, integrity and discipline?

Saban also appeared to be throwing his senior class under the bus in his post-game comments by saying part of the problem could be a "pattern of personality." He said the problems now seem to be the same ones that cropped up in the past.

Translation: This is Mike Shula's fault.

Well, no it isn't, Nick. This has happened on your $32 million watch.

Saturday marked the 11th game of the season under Saban. In most years, that's an entire regular season. And if this team, particularly the upperclassmen, were so bad (as you thinly insinuated), then how did they manage a lead against LSU late in that contest? How were they able to beat Tennessee a month ago and take Georgia into overtime back in September?

Alabama was a 25-point favorite against ULM Saturday -- the same school that Shula beat last year, 41-7. ULM entered the game with a 4-6 record, which included a 24-7 loss to Troy, a 31-21 defeat to North Texas, a 43-40 loss to Middle Tennessee State and a 54-14 loss to Texas A&M. In case you haven't heard, the Aggies are about to make a coaching change.

So what's the problem here?

Saban said he stressed all week that you can't take a team like this lightly. Well, apparently, they didn't listen. Why not?

Could it be the team has tuned out the master of the process? Could it be they don't care what he has to say any more? Or perhaps, they simply can't relate to a coach who makes so much money and who has crisscrossed the nation the last few years like an Amway salesman.

One could assume that's the case with DJ Hall, the team's most talented offensive weapon. Hall didn't play in the first half (Saban said he violated team rules), but with Alabama struggling at halftime, Saban suddenly decided that Hall's suspension was over.

Asked for an explanation afterward, Saban said: "It was what it was?"

Huh?

When a reporter challenged him, Saban silenced him like a stern father talking to a teenager asking for his car keys a second time.

At least Saban could been honest and said, "Hey man, I'm trying to win the stupid football game. Aight! That's what you people are paying me $4 mil to do."

Instead, he offered a lame and disingenuous retort that seems to confirm Saban is no different than most head coaches: He employs discipline whenever it's convenient.

So now, the Auburn game.

Will Alabama salvage what is left of this season with a win against Auburn? Or will the Tide sink deeper into the abyss with its fourth straight loss and a 6-6 record?

A few weeks ago, in the wake of the Tennessee game, Saban's success seemed certain. However, the loss Saturday has left some people shaken and wondering how in the world this once promising season (6-2 at one point) has become a cataclysm.

It is the guess of most experts that Saban can maneuver the Tide out of this pit and right this ship. A win against Auburn would be nice for him. But Saturday brought one reality home.

Simply paying someone $4 million a year doesn't guarantee victory, even against the dregs of college football. Saban was beaten by a head coach at ULM whose annual salary is less than what Saban makes for a single game.

It wasn't the loss that should bother Alabama fans so much. Instead, it was the fact that Saban seemingly sold out his principles by letting Hall come back in the second half :yes:to try to reverse the scoreboard.

Most fans thought that kind of nonsense had ended when Alabama replaced Mike Shula with Nick Saban. Last Saturday, it was difficult to see the difference.

Say what you will, but ******** may have just seen the light. The discipline problems for bama continue. The morale problems continue. has Saban lost this team? Can he get it back?

once again the most common words written about uat in the last 25 years.

"That sound you heard late Saturday afternoon was Bear Bryant rolling over in his grave. Nearly a quarter century after his death, his beloved football program has seemingly fallen and it can't get up. "

ole bryant has become the ferris wheel in this county fair.

If Auburn somehow lets uat win. the ULM loss will have NEVER happened.

So Auburn it's up to you to finish the job.

OMG! OMG! OMG!

Finebaum compared Alabama's loss to the death of 1,500 people!!!!!!!!! CALL MSNBC!!!!

See the hypocrisy here? If Saban makes a reference to a catastrophic event, he gets slammed on ESPN. If radio talk show host does it, it's all cool. The same applies to Chadd Scott's "tornado bait" reference to our state two weeks before 8 kids died at Enterprise High School.

I had no idea you guys would be so hypocritical. I know you hate Nick Saban and all things Alabama, but at least make some effort to show a little objectivity. Whoa.

OMG! OMG! OMG!

Finebaum compared Alabama's loss to the death of 1,500 people!!!!!!!!! CALL MSNBC!!!!

See the hypocrisy here? If Saban makes a reference to a catastrophic event, he gets slammed on ESPN. If radio talk show host does it, it's all cool. The same applies to Chadd Scott's "tornado bait" reference to our state two weeks before 8 kids died at Enterprise High School.

I had no idea you guys would be so hypocritical. I know you hate Nick Saban and all things Alabama, but at least make some effort to show a little objectivity. Whoa.

If you can't tell the difference in what is appropriate for a college head football coach to say at a press conference, and what an inflammatory shock-jock says AS A SATIRICAL COMMENTARY ON WHAT SABAN SAID THAT WAS INAPPROPRIATE, then you sir are the one that is ignorant.

The Titanic is a symbol of arrogance and overconfidence. The sinking of the Titanic humbled many people and made them realize the folley of excess and ego.

Yes people died, but the Titanic isn't remebered as a tradgedy in a death perspective as much as its failure to live up to its expectations as an unsinkable ship.

Much like the Alabama football program and the unrealistc egotistical expectations of its fans. The tide has sunk and it may have its first year without a bowl game that wasn't forced by sanctions in a long time.

Totally worth the 4 Million right?

Two wrongs don't make a right.

I don't have a problem with either statement. What I do have a problem with, however, is inconsistency and hypocrisy.

Saban said nothing that was inappropriate. If you can't see this, then we don't need to have this conversation.

There are some guys that you would take into battle with you (can I say that, Michael Wilbon?) and some that don't even deserve to be a member of the scout team. I have mucho respect for Rashad Johnson, Rolando McClain, Darren Mustin, Javier Arenas, Ali Sharrief... and a couple of others. There are some serious, serious cancers on this team. Wave goodbye to them when they visit you Saturday.

I've said this before, but you can expect A LOT of attrition over the next couple of months. Many of our seniors would not be back if they were eligible, either. You have no idea what kind of hand Saban was dealt.

I don't have a problem with either statement. What I do have a problem with, however, is inconsistency and hypocrisy.

Saban said nothing that was inappropriate. If you can't see this, then we don't need to have this conversation.

You really are stretching.

Pearl Harbor would have been a very solid metaphor alone. 911 was a horrible thing to tie to a football game.

The guy is a professional and he can't get past himself. Making 911 comments, coon@$$ jokes, throwing the players under the bus left and right, acting as though he can change an environment of fanhood that has been abysmal for decades.

Alabama fans are a bunch of spoiled brats who lost their fortunes. Saban isn't your savior. He is another coach in a long line of Alabama coaches that got in over his head. Hell, you fired the one guy who loved the school enough to put up with your antics and he beat ULM 41-7.

What has Saban done for your program.

1. Lost more games to date than Shula including a loss to ULM and he still lost to the team that got Shula fired.

2. Taken the school for money and is in the position to lose them more with a possible Bowl Absence.

3. Put the National media into a watch and laugh position as he keeps up with his antics and comments.

4. Recruited "lights Out" this year. AKA: exactly like Shula has been built up to have recruited for a while.

5. Shown obvious wear and tear. He made comments in his presser saying that he and his wife are having issues.

I give him another year or two and you will see him making his way somewhere else or retire.

You have no idea what's going on. I'm not trying to talk down to you or berate you, but that's just the facts.

This team is in total disarray and the only person they have to blame can be found in the mirror.

I'm not going into details or naming names, but know that our team is a bunch of druggies and quitters. He could have tossed them all in January, but gave them an opportunity to turn their lives around through the game of football. They turned him down on that offer based on their performance on and off the field and will be turning in their stuff in the very near future. He tried to play "dad" with them and it didn't work. Period.

What would your reaction be if you found out that many players were partying on the Strip just hours after losing to UL-Monroe?

What would your reaction be if you found out that many players were partying on the Strip just hours after losing to UL-Monroe?

The team bus would be leaving T-Town without them on Friday night.

You have no idea what's going on. I'm not trying to talk down to you or berate you, but that's just the facts.

This team is in total disarray and the only person they have to blame can be found in the mirror.

I'm not going into details or naming names, but know that our team is a bunch of druggies and quitters. He could have tossed them all in January, but gave them an opportunity to turn their lives around through the game of football. They turned him down on that offer based on their performance on and off the field and will be turning in their stuff in the very near future. He tried to play "dad" with them and it didn't work. Period.

He is an ego-maniac that couldn't handle sacrificing a year to turn the team around. CTT got roasted for getting rid of a lot of talented players that were Bowden guys and bad seeds.

So once again CTT does what's right and Sabahr takes the easy way out.

As long as you guys defend him, your fan base deserves everything it gets with this prick in charge.

He is an ego-maniac that couldn't handle sacrificing a year to turn the team around. CTT got roasted for getting rid of a lot of talented players that were Bowden guys and bad seeds.

So once again CTT does what's right and Sabahr takes the easy way out.

As long as you guys defend him, your fan base deserves everything it gets with this prick in charge.

He made an honest effort to help them out. Say what you want to, but I thought it was pretty classy of him to keep them. Thanks to this, some of them have straightened their life around and they have only him to thank. Trust me on this one.

Keep in mind, some of these guys that I keep referring to have never touched the field under Shula or Saban. Not because of their addiction, but because of lack of talent. I would see your point if he had kept the starters and told the third stringers to take a hike.

If he had thrown off who he wanted to, we wouldn't have nearly enough to field a team. I kid you not.

Now after 3 consecutive loses and a major embarassment by ULM, the bammer nation is blaming the problems on players and former coaching standards. This is the same group of fans that only 4 or so weeks ago, after the UT victory, were invisioning senarios where uat would be in the mnc game. What a joke for a fan base !!!!!!!!!!! I guess saint nick can still do no wrong. His salary per victory this year will probably come close to Weis at ND which will both be close to records.

What I do have a problem with, however, is inconsistency and hypocrisy.

:roflol:

poor saban...with all he's been through i don't see how he's got enough sense to walk and talk at the same time...bless his heart.

All I hear is bammers trumpeting the same tired excuses.

Beginning of season.

Shula was a bad couach but good recruiter so the shelves are stocked with talent and he should be able to coach em up.

Shula had a lack of discipline and Saban is a disciplinarian.

Shula had optional S&C programs, our talent will get much healthier with Saban.

Shula couldn't win close games, Saban will get us past that.

JPW is one of the best QB's in the SEC.

Now

Shula was a horrible recruiter and left Saban with nothing.

Saban has to deal with all of Shula's dead weight so he can get HIS team on the field.

Saban is not disciplining the kids so he can help them out.

Saban can't make the kids win close games, they have to do that for themselves.

Seriously, which is it.

I say you have a piss poor program and a coach that is more hype than substance. Look at all the coaches that have won a NC and how their careers change. Fulmer won an NC. You consider him a nutjob.

We see a bad coach with ego issues and a program suffering from years of bad fanbase problems and unrealistic expectations.

My opinion is you picked the worst coach for that program. You needed a guy with character and honesty that would infuse a much needed sense of morals into your program. Build a good foundation. I just think your boosters and fanbase are enablers for this programs woes and this coach isn't going to fix what is wrong.

If this is the way you feel, well, you may want to NEVER listen to one of little nicky's pressers again!

All I hear is bammers trumpeting the same tired excuses.

Beginning of season.

Shula was a bad couach but good recruiter so the shelves are stocked with talent and he should be able to coach em up.

Shula had a lack of discipline and Saban is a disciplinarian.

Shula had optional S&C programs, our talent will get much healthier with Saban.

Shula couldn't win close games, Saban will get us past that.

JPW is one of the best QB's in the SEC.

Now

Shula was a horrible recruiter and left Saban with nothing.

Saban has to deal with all of Shula's dead weight so he can get HIS team on the field.

Saban is not disciplining the kids so he can help them out.

Saban can't make the kids win close games, they have to do that for themselves.

Seriously, which is it.

I say you have a piss poor program and a coach that is more hype than substance. Look at all the coaches that have won a NC and how their careers change. Fulmer won an NC. You consider him a nutjob.

We see a bad coach with ego issues and a program suffering from years of bad fanbase problems and unrealistic expectations.

My opinion is you picked the worst coach for that program. You needed a guy with character and honesty that would infuse a much needed sense of morals into your program. Build a good foundation. I just think your boosters and fanbase are enablers for this programs woes and this coach isn't going to fix what is wrong.

To a bammer they are both right. lol. That's just the way they do things over there at that lesser school. Excuses came built in to the program.

The team bus would be leaving T-Town without them on Friday night.

I thought Mike Price started that tradition. Oh wait, that was in Pensacola.

Archived