South Alabama to start D-1A football Program

WarTiger

Linky Dinky

South Alabama to start 1A football team

Posted by News sports staff December 06, 2007 11:31 AM

The University of South Alabama's board of trustees this morning unanimously approved starting a Division I-A football team for the Jaguars with plans to put a team on the field in 2009.

The Mobile school is already a member of the Sun Belt Conference with 14 NCAA-sanctioned sports.

USA President Gordon Moulton told the board he was persuaded to recommend the move to add football because of the support from students - 2,500 signed a petition for football and to offer to pay added student fees for the program - and from the school's alumni. The national alumni association has pledged $50,000 over the next five years for the start-up costs of the program.

Moulton and Athletics Director Joe Gottfried now will begin a search for a head coach and a couple of assistants to begin building the program, possibly as early as January or February 2008.

Mike Perrin

Look for more on this story in Friday's Birmingham News.

No team to D-1A wow...

No team to D-1A wow...

In two years! WOW!!

How the heck do they field a team in two years? They can't recruit 85 players the first year? They do not have a team now (I don't think). How do they ramp up in that short of time?

+++++++++++++++++++ EDIT ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

OK, read some about it now and they will start a team in 2009 and move to D1A in 2013. That makes MUCH more sense than starting as a D1A team. Wonder if AU will schedule them in 2013?

Does this mean that Alabama will become the 4th or 5th best team in the state?

Well, let's see?

1) Auburn

2) Troy

3) UAB

4) USA

5) UNA (DII)

6) Samford (DIAA)

7) UAT???

I believe they would be approaching 7th, but I might be slightly biased against Univ of West Alabama. ;)

Well, let's see?

1) Auburn

2) Troy

3) UAB

4) USA

5) UNA (DII)

6) Samford (DIAA)

7) UAT???

I believe they would be approaching 7th, but I might be slightly biased against Univ of West Alabama. ;)

I'd have to say...

1) Auburn

2) Troy

3) UNA

4) UAB

5) Samford

6) UAT

7) USA

UNA plays some good ball. I think they'd take UAB easily.

Wow, I just looked at UAB's schedule (2-10). They only lost to 2 non-bowl teams - Michigan St. by a lot and Marshall by 7 points. I knew they had a tough year, but I didnt realize they played that many good opponents.

But please..UAB would definitely not lose to UNA.

Who the heck is USF?

Who the heck is USF?

He just copied me - I accidently put USF instead of USA. Corrected in mine now.

I think the UNA vs UAB would be a tight game. UNA is a DII team, but solid. The primary difference would be if they would be worn down by the size difference between D1A (Conf USA) and DII. I think UAB would win, but I think many would be surprised at how close it would be.

Well, let's see?

1) Auburn

2) Troy

3) UAB

4) USA

5) UNA (DII)

6) Samford (DIAA)

7) UAT???

Don't forget Tuskegee

1) Auburn

2) Troy

3) UAB

4) USA

5) UNA

6) Samford

7) Tuskegee

8) Prattville High School

9) Alabama School for the Deaf and Blind

10) UAT

Well, let's see?

1) Auburn

2) Troy

3) UAB

4) USA

5) UNA (DII)

6) Samford (DIAA)

7) UAT???

Don't forget Tuskegee

1) Auburn

2) Troy

3) UAB

4) USA

5) UNA

6) Samford

7) Tuskegee

10) UAT

Tuskegee went 12-0 this year with Dameyune Craig as their QB coach.

Well, let's see?

1) Auburn

2) Troy

3) UAB

4) USA

5) UNA (DII)

6) Samford (DIAA)

7) UAT???

Don't forget, Birmingham-Southern now has a team (DIII) as well. Move UAT down another notch.

$50K over five years for startup costs? Are you kidding me?

It helps when you pay 0$ for a stadium. The city of Mobile threw in Ladd Stadium for free for 5 years. All that includes is unis, coaches etc. I believe the alumni association donated some extra money to supplement what the students were giving. Still not a huge budget, but I would be curious what Bham Southern, Huntingdon, and other ne start up schools spent initially and are spending now.

Former UGA coach Jim Donnan is rumored to be on the short list for the job.

Would be an EXCELLENT hire to start a program.....

I like Jim

Great recruiter that could build a solid foundation at USA and then move into an associate AD position. It makes perfect sense....

Would be an EXCELLENT hire to start a program.....

I like Jim

Great recruiter that could build a solid foundation at USA and then move into an associate AD position. It makes perfect sense....

In hindsight, UGA certainly made a good decision to trade Donnan in for Richt, but at the time I thought it was sort of a head scratcher. I couldn't figure out why they got rid of him.

I always liked Donnan. he would be great for USA.

BTW, its about time they got a football team.

Will they sell beer at the games?? If they do, count me in. The last CFB game I went to was at Ladd Stadium, Tulane v. Marshall, after that hurricane who's name I refuse to mention, they sold the hell out of some beer at that one.

Well, let's see?

1) Auburn

2) Troy

3) UAB

4) USA

5) UNA (DII)

6) Samford (DIAA)

7) UAT???

Don't forget Tuskegee

1) Auburn

2) Troy

3) UAB

4) USA

5) UNA

6) Samford

7) Tuskegee

10) UAT

And Alabama State. Their halftime show alone is far superior to any product Saban has put on the field thus far.

Donnan was one heck of a recruiter. He had sick talent levels at UGA his entire tenure. I am not worried about him being there initially, but over the long term Donnan could be thorn in the side of many programs in the area (moreso, Troy, UAB, and USM; less so, MSU, OM, UAT, LSU, and AU).

Who the heck is USF?

He just copied me - I accidently put USF instead of USA. Corrected in mine now.

I think the UNA vs UAB would be a tight game. UNA is a DII team, but solid. The primary difference would be if they would be worn down by the size difference between D1A (Conf USA) and DII. I think UAB would win, but I think many would be surprised at how close it would be.

Has anybody in this thread seen UNA this year?

I went to several UNA games and caught the UAB/UCF game. IMO, UAB doesn't have the speed in the defensive backfield and outside backer to run with UNA. UAB would hang some points on the undersized UNA defense. It would be an shootout. But, I would give it to UAB on one or two big special teams plays (UAB has got a solid return game and UNA crapped away their last playoff game with some huge punt returns by Valdosta).

90% of the time the glaring difference between big time D1 programs and D2 (even some struggling D1 programs) is the punting game. Watching D1 on TV, fans take for granted the punters booming a punt 40-50 yards as high as the upperdeck. You rarely see those big high punts at the D2 level.

As a South alum, this is naturally thrilling news to hear! I'll definitely pick up the season tickets. I'd love to see them sign on for some big school homecoming games and get those paydays. As much as it'd hurt, I'd have to root for USA in an AU/USA matchup, though we all know how it'd go.

Donnan for HC? That would be awesome! Frankly, I was just hoping they could pick up somebody like Bower to build the team.

As a South alum, this is naturally thrilling news to hear! I'll definitely pick up the season tickets. I'd love to see them sign on for some big school homecoming games and get those paydays. As much as it'd hurt, I'd have to root for USA in an AU/USA matchup, though we all know how it'd go.

Donnan for HC? That would be awesome! Frankly, I was just hoping they could pick up somebody like Bower to build the team.

A lot of folks keep throwing Bill Clark's name around for this also. He is the HC at Prattville.

Archived