Birmingham politics,,,, follow the money,,, the SEC is looking

Tigermike

Politics, cash link Birmingham Mayor Larry Langford, lawyer Andy Campbell

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

The first I heard of Andy Campbell, he was in the paper defending Bill Blount from a wrist-slapping by the National Association of Securities Dealers.

That was back in 1997. Blount had already become Larry Langford's VisionLand bond bombshell, but Blount was being censured for something else. Things had gone screwy with a bond deal at the Birmingham Industrial Development Board.

Turns out Blount's firm had left an important page out of bond documents - the page that would have told buyers the bonds could be paid off early. That's information that could affect bond prices.

Campbell, Blount's lawyer, was there to say it was all an accident. "There was no allegation this was willful or intentional," he said.

Blount's firm, then called Blount Parrish & Roton, admitted no wrongdoing, but agreed to pay a $55,000 fine. I bring it up only because what comes next is so ironic.

In response to another allegation, Blount agreed to stop contributing money to political action committees.

Oh how things change.

And how politics doesn't.

Eleven years have passed and Langford is in charge. Blount is back in the news, and Campbell is still defending him. Only this time, Campbell is in the news, too.

At Langford's request, the Birmingham City Council last month agreed to pay Campbell's law firm up to $150,000 to represent the city. That was before council members knew Campbell represented Blount in a U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission probe of Jefferson County bond and swap deals conducted while Langford ran the Commission

Council members were a little miffed to learn they voted on his contract without knowing the Blount connection, but Councilwoman Miriam Witherspoon shrugged it off. She said it's natural for officials to pick lawyers with whom they have relationships.

I guess so. But there's more to it. There's the money.

Campbell, you see, gave extensively to PACs that gave to Langford's campaign. Track the money - which isn't so easy - and he is arguably one of Langford's biggest donors. Nothing illegal, of course. But it is interesting, especially given the history.

Between Aug. 2 and Aug. 14 of last year, Campbell gave $25,000 to four PACs that turned around and made sizable contributions to Langford, according to the campaign disclosure forms released so far.

Campbell on Aug. 3 gave $5,000 to Race PAC. On Aug. 15 Race PAC gave $5,000 to Langford.

Campbell on Aug. 14 gave $7,500 to Ecodev PAC. Ecodev PAC on the same day gave Langford $2,000, and later gave another $1,000.

Also on Aug. 14, Campbell gave Jefferson PAC $7,500. Jefferson PAC gave $5,000 to Langford, including $1,500 that same day.

Campbell on Aug. 2 gave Massey PAC $5,000. Massey PAC gave Langford seven contributions totaling $21,000 during the campaign.

Race PAC, Ecodev PAC and Massey PAC also gave $4,000 to the campaign of Council President Carole Smitherman.

It's just politics, right? Just money?

These days, it's the same thing. John Archibald's column appears Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. Write him at jarchibald@bhamnews.com.

Birmingham News

Smoke or worse wafts from SEC

link

I've met the new Federal prosecutor in Birmingham a few times. I asked him why he was sent here from Atlanta. "Oh, I've got enough work here to keep me busy until retirement," he said.

Here's how it turns out, I bet. The SEC indicts LaLa. LaLa has a protest march. The Federal DA prosecutes him in a different venue. LaLa goes to jail, and starts a bridge club with Siegelman and Scrushy in Federal Prison. William Bell becomes mayor. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I've met the new Federal prosecutor in Birmingham a few times. I asked him why he was sent here from Atlanta. "Oh, I've got enough work here to keep me busy until retirement," he said.

Here's how it turns out, I bet. The SEC indicts LaLa. LaLa has a protest march. The Federal DA prosecutes him in a different venue. LaLa goes to jail, and starts a bridge club with Siegelman and Scrushy in Federal Prison. William Bell becomes mayor. Lather, rinse, repeat.

You think Bell would beat out Cooper?

You think Bell would beat out Cooper?

I don't think there's an election if the Mayor vacates office. I think it falls on the shoulders of the City Council head.

Try this one. Clinton wins election, fires procecuters, and LaLa walks free. Oh wait a minute, that happened with Arrington......

Archived