Official Signing Day Commentary Thread

TitanTiger

I thought the Dareus' brothers were a package deal. Did Bama offer them both?

Yes both are going to Bama...But Demerius is suspect on the grades...

I thought both were going JUCO? Oh well, I guess now his grades will automagically get better...

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought both were going JUCO? Oh well, I guess now his grades will automagically get better...

4.0 Overnight

gains 8 points on ACT using the McCants method

Okay, here is some good news. Phillip Marshall reports these guys have signed:

Ken Adams, TE, 6-5, 215, Enterprise High.

Derrick Lykes, DE, 6-4, 276, Chilton County High, Clanton

Reggie Hunt, RB, 5-10, 185, Daphne High

Eric Smith, RB, 5-11, 225, Armwood High, Seffner, Fla.

So far we have not had any major bad surprises. There were guys we thought we would probably get and they haven't panned out, and just a couple who had made a verbal, but we knew those were "soft." Hopefully we can get the rest of the folks who were commits to sign on the line which is dotted and shore this thing up...

4.0 Overnight

gains 8 points on ACT using the McCants method

LOL, look for that to happen to Dareus (the 4 star) & for some reason Demerius (the 1 star) grades didn't make the cut...

So is it fair to say we did not get any signing day surprises or ones we were hoping for and we lost some we thought we had a good shot at? Figure in the late switches, all the chances we are taking with JUCO players and an overall mediocre class.....

Some one cheer me up :)

So is it fair to say we did not get any signing day surprises or ones we were hoping for and we lost some we thought we had a good shot at? Figure in the late switches, all the chances were are taking with JUCO players and an overall mediocre class.....

Some one cheer me up about :)

crickets...crickets...crickets

So is it fair to say we did not get any signing day surprises or ones we were hoping for and we lost some we thought we had a good shot at? Figure in the late switches, all the chances were are taking with JUCO players and an overall mediocre class.....

Some one cheer me up about :)

crickets...crickets...crickets

Bueller...Bueller...Bueller

Not exactly sunshine, but a bit of perspective: the day has been disappointing, no doubt, but I don't think it is the debacle some seem to be making it out to be. We have signed some very good players and have a few more that are expected to come aboard. All of the services had us ranked in the 12-18 range...hopefully we will stay in the top 25, which is not bad at all. Just seems bad b/c we were hoping for better and b/c Bama is bringing in a huge haul...

Some one cheer me up :)

I believe this is still a good/solid class. I think the reason everyone is unhappy, myself included, is all the misses which makes me... :no: .

I remember talking to Coach Gran in his office before practice before the Cotton Bowl and I asked him about the three running backs they were recruiting, Davis, Kalab King and Jonathan Dwyer. He said he liked them all equally, not one any better (talent-wise) than the other. He said they would definitely sign one if not two of them. Oh well, that was then and this is now!

Just seems bad b/c we were hoping for better and b/c Bama is bringing in a huge haul...

You hit the nail right on the head, sir. Any other year this would be considered a good haul.

Some folks (at times, myself included) are letting the State of Bammer media get in your heads. They have been the proverbial 12th man for tha Tahd's 'cruitin efforts since Sabban walked into that big 'ol sloppy kiss on the tarmac, and we should have expected some of this.

The rest of what we are seeing today most likely is a result of the staff turnover and resulting negative recruiting that took place in homes around the South, and could have been avoided IMO.

Either way, one freaking year doesn't make a dynasty. I will reserve my final judgement until I see what happens next year and the years following.

Just my $.02

OK I will try and cheer you up.

1. It is a top 20 class and we average over the CTT reign a #20 class...he has seemed to do just ok with classes like this.

2. Our areas of need were DL, DB, WR and RB. Rivals has us as #6 RB class, #10 DE class, #25 WR + #16 ATH class, and signed a number of 3 * DB's.

3. One recruiting class does not a program make...or a program get damaged by.

4. We got a whole bunch of speed in this class and that ain't coachable.

5. We had a lot of coaching issues/distractions/changes this year that we won't be dealing with next season.

6. After we hang loss #7 on bammer, let's see where things are then...we'll be competing for the SEC-W title and bammer will be hoping for another Shreveport trip.

Does that help at all? LOL

What concerns me is Bammer's complete dominance in recruiting this year. Yes.........we got some outstanding players BUT we can't just concede the state to Saban as it appears Tubs and Co have done this year. Something down there has to change! Peolple don't seem to realize how quickly you can establish a "pipeline" to the schools that their signees come from relative to friends, coaches, and parents. This has to be a one time deal or serious questions SHOULD be asked. I remember during the 70's when Bryant and co. got everybody and anybody they wanted....many times just to keep them from signing with us.

Yes - thanks! One word that should concern us a little though is "momentum". Perceptions also often become reality.

AU definitely needs a big year on the field.

Yes - thanks! One word that should concern us a little though is "momentum". Perceptions also often become reality.

AU definitely needs a big year on the field.

AMEN.

OK I will try and cheer you up.

1. It is a top 20 class and we average over the CTT reign a #20 class...he has seemed to do just ok with classes like this.

2. Our areas of need were DL, DB, WR and RB. Rivals has us as #6 RB class, #10 DE class, #25 WR + #16 ATH class, and signed a number of 3 * DB's.

3. One recruiting class does not a program make...or a program get damaged by.

4. We got a whole bunch of speed in this class and that ain't coachable.

5. We had a lot of coaching issues/distractions/changes this year that we won't be dealing with next season.

6. After we hang loss #7 on bammer, let's see where things are then...we'll be competing for the SEC-W title and bammer will be hoping for another Shreveport trip.

Does that help at all? LOL

Bingo!!

This a very good signing class! Not great (i.e Top 10-15) but solid. There is not a position on our team that we are not set at. The guys that didnt sign with us chose other schools because frankly it was in their best interests. ED would have at least 3 solid RBs ahead of him at AU. Quinn would have several to compete with plus two good ones in this class. The reason this class looks so disappointing is because the previous classes have been so good. Say what you will, come game time this team will look as good as any in the country!

What is wrong you delusional Auburn fans. You guys keep saying "well when we get #7..." ... are you that dumb that you don't realize recruiting makes an impact generally in 3-5 years. Some players make a difference in the first year or two, but that is when you really start to see a difference.

Auburn may win #7 and #8. God I hope so. But the effects won't be seen for a few years. If Saban continues with this recruiting dominance over Tuberville, Bama will be the ones winning 7 in a row.

And where is Jermaine Johnson and Harry Adams? Does no one realize these are the two athletes that would make significant contribution in the near future?

What is wrong you delusional Auburn fans. You guys keep saying "well when we get #7..." ... are you that dumb that you don't realize recruiting makes an impact generally in 3-5 years. Some players make a difference in the first year or two, but that is when you really start to see a difference.

Auburn may win #7 and #8. God I hope so. But the effects won't be seen for a few years. If Saban continues with this recruiting dominance over Tuberville, Bama will be the ones winning 7 in a row.

And where is Jermaine Johnson and Harry Adams? Does no one realize these are the two athletes that would make significant contribution in the near future?

The most valid word you have ever spoken. Bama had a lot of spots to fill, we didn't have as many. We have depth, they didn't. Will this "dominance" in recruiting continue? Who knows, but how often does Notre Dame sit in the top 10 of recruiting?

The biggest point is that if you consistently recruit good talent to fill your needs and build depth AS WELL AS coach these players up to their maximum potential, you will win a lot of games.

Will this class help Alabama? Certainly, but will it destroy Auburn...NO! I'm sure at some point (maybe even this fall), they will beat Auburn again in football. Is that the end of the world....NO!

If this is bothering you that much, go buy a houndstooth baseball cap and jump on the wagon. Don't jump off though at the first sign of trouble.

Dude...it's ONE YEAR...take a breath.... :rolleyes:

:au::homer:

They are concerned that if they come here, they will be to blame for the let-down in 2012 largely credited to having only a top 20 recruiting class this ONE year. :rolleyes:

One year is not dominance. If $atan repeats this performance next year, then you can start to worry some. But the proof is in the pudding, not in the opinion of some web site...if all of their kids wind up being studs and all of ours wind up as busts then there is cause for concern....that ain't gonna happen. What is important is how these kids are developed and coached up and CTT, Yox, et al and our staff has demonstrated that we do that as well or better than most, including little $atan.

Archived