Johnson Makes Plea Deal

Proud Tiger

who paid Rashad's Lawyer's fees?

Red Elephants don't always charge for their services.

Unless they were going around offering pro-bono work for all UA students, thats improper benefits.

Unless they were going around offering pro-bono work for all UA students, thats improper benefits.

That's my thoughts Exactly. If it was me or anyone else here....we'd have had to pay a lawyers fee ($50 - $100+ per hour).

http://blog.al.com/bamabeat/2008/03/johnso...d_on_agree.html

Johnson's case settled on agreement to drop charge

Posted by Gentry Estes March 06, 2008 11:54 PM

Categories: Football

As expected, the legal ordeal for Rashad Johnson has been ended short of a lengthy court case. Both sides appear happy to have the mess behind them.

His disorderly conduct charge has not yet been dropped, but will be assuming he completes 40 hours of community service and issues a public statement, (which he did -- see below), according to Tuscaloosa city attorney Robert Ennis.

Interestingly enough, former UA player turned Tuscaloosa attorney Josh Swords was no longer representing Johnson for the proceedings. Scott Hickman, another staff member from Swords' law firm, ironed out the final details. An agreement was reached around 5:30 p.m.

Here's my story running in Friday's Press-Register ...

TUSCALOOSA -- Alabama defensive back Rashad Johnson's misdemeanor disorderly conduct charge is set for dismissal, per a deal reached Thursday afternoon between prosecutors and Johnson's attorney Scott Hickman.

"He's very happy to get this over with," Hickman said of Johnson. "It was in his best interest as well as the court."

Johnson will be charged no fine or court costs as a result of his Feb. 23 arrest at The Legacy bar on University Boulevard near campus. City attorney Robert Ennis said the offer of dismissal is pending a public statement and 40 hours of community service Johnson has agreed to perform with the Police Athletic League by June 4.

"If that is satisfactorily done, then charges will be dismissed," Ennis said. "This is not an unusual settlement with a first-time offense and disorderly conduct charge."

Tuscaloosa Police officer Derek Kilgore wrote in the arrest report that Johnson knocked over a bar security officer and was detained after a "short struggle" near the door of the club.

Attorney Josh Swords previously represented Johnson, but was not involved in Thursday's discussions. Swords cited "great discrepancies" between the TPD's account of the incident and surveillance video shot from four different angles at the club.

In a brief statement released Thursday, Johnson regretted his actions and added, "I support the Tuscaloosa Police Department and their attempts to maintain public safety."

sweep%20under%20rug.gif

SSDD In Thugscaloosa. Guys, The REC is back in business full swing now. I doubt we hear anything going on with any :ua: Football Player ever again.

• 3 weeks later...

That's my thoughts Exactly. If it was me or anyone else here....we'd have had to pay a lawyers fee ($50 - $100+ per hour).

I'm not sure who your lawyer is, the *nominal fees* are slightly higher than that; especially for those crack UAT LS grads. <_<

Archived