Lou Dobbs' 'Independents Day'

DKW 86

http://i.abcnews.com/GMA/Books/Story?id=3887795&page=1

I never really liked Dobbs until just recently. He expresses my feelings better the more I see and read of him.

lou_dobbs_071119_ms.jpg

Excerpt: Lou Dobbs' 'Independents Day'

Outspoken CNN Anchor's Book Talks About What's Wrong With America and How to Fix It

(amazon.com) Nov. 20, 2007

Share CNN anchor Lou Dobbs, a self-described "advocacy journalist" and "independent populist," has a new book out called "Independents Day: Awakening the American Spirit."

In the book, Dobbs, who has become known for his anti-immigration stance, talks about the failure of America's political system and how the arrogance of "the elites" threatens the future of the nation. One solution to the problem, he says, is a viable third party candidate.

Excerpt: 'Independents Day'

The 2008 presidential campaign is upon us, and there should be no doubt that we are at a critical historic juncture, and the very survival of our nation may well depend on the electoral choices we make. When one scans the number of candidates seeking their party's nomination for the highest office in the U.S. government, what has seemed an interminably long campaign seems too brief and inadequate a period in which to choose a leader of great quality and character to successfully lead us in the twenty-first century.

America is a great nation whose leaders have become intoxicated with the idea that the accomplishments and achievements of preceding generations assure them not only of success, but of only limited consequences for their failures of judgment and infidelity to traditional American values. Nearly all of our political leaders seem to believe that America's wealth is so great that it cannot be exhausted; the elites of politics and business seem to believe that their power flows from a superior DNA structure that confers upon them an omniscience in economic and geopolitical affairs that three hundred million citizens cannot hope to comprehend. Their arrogance now threatens the future of our nation, and their elitist sense of entitlement has reached such heights that our leaders are now openly dismissive of the will of the people. They no longer honor our fundamental national values but instead attach themselves to the interests of multinational corporations and political parties, and recognize no duty to the nation in which they prosper. Many of our political leaders rationalize their careless exercise of power and their disregard for the consequences of their decisions with their religiosity; that is, God's providence has guided and favored America throughout its history and therefore favors the faithful, if incompetent, leaders in all walks of American life. Let us pray.

Many of our corporate leaders are even more disdainful of our national values and interests than our politicians. Business leaders, if anything, seem more committed to their personal belief systems, which have been elevated to religiosity, the foundation of which is a blind faith in what they perceive to be the higher perfect power of economics and markets. "Mr. Market" knows all and knows best for these corporate masters of the universe.

These lofty elites wield their awesome social, economic, and political powers without apparent regard for the common good, the national interest, or the traditional values that have historically informed and guided America's leaders. These elitists have abandoned American ideals for self- interest, and are ignoring ordinary citizens as unworthy of their concern, obligation, and duty.

For too long the American people have deluded themselves that failures of leadership will in the fullness of time resolve themselves in our great republic, because our history has given us the assurance that partisanship is an acceptable substitute for citizenship. We've accepted our own apathy and tolerated what has become a frontal assault by the establishment elites on our national sovereignty, the welfare of our people, and our future as a nation. But there are now promising signs that the American people will soon be ready to reclaim this nation.

As I write these words, the U.S. Senate has just rejected a cloture vote on so- called comprehensive immigration reform legislation by a vote of 53 to 46. The defeat of President Bush and the Democratic Senate leadership all but ends the efforts in this session of Congress to grant amnesty to twelve million to twenty million illegal aliens and to keep our borders wide open.

For four years I have fought almost daily the advocates of open borders and amnesty, and despite this Senate victory, I know that the fight will go on. That fight will likely intensify, because the political, social, and economic interests driving open borders and amnesty are powerful, the stakes could hardly be larger, and American citizens are only slowly awakening to the threat to our nation that emanates from both the left and the right, the establishment and the radical. But the American spirit is no longer slumbering. On my broadcast we have reported the facts that should form the parameters and foundation of what has at long last become a national dialogue, even if now only incipient, on our illegal immigration and border-security crisis. I have put representatives of all sides of the debate and discussion on the broadcast in an effort to examine the facts, to put the facts as we know them in perspective from the points of view of the advocates, to debate the merits and failings of those views, and to expose the varied agendas and interests of the elites who have tried to ram their positions through Congress and down the throats of American citizens who were just a few years ago unaware of the nature and extent of the threat to the American way of life.

The political contest that has resulted from our immigration and border crisis produces great passions and every bit as much heat as light. Unfortunately, the facts and the independent, nonpartisan reality that my colleagues and I try to report to our audience each night are inconvenient obstacles for the ideological orthodoxies and conflicting partisan, establishment, ethnocentric, and even radical agendas that motivate most of our national dialogue and debate on so many critical issues, and nowhere more powerfully than on the illegal immigration and border-

Excerpt: Lou Dobbs' 'Independents Day'

I agree with Lou. The political parties do not represent us anymore. They are completely bought and paid for and ran by graduates of the Kennedy School of Govt. They run roughshod over the American people to propel their agendas down our collective throats.

Maybe not this election, but soon, 6-8 years maybe, the real revolution will come to America and then we will see the entire country turn away from both parties.

I apologize to my Liberal Brothers here. I have in the past defended what I now see as indefensible, the actions of a dunce in the White House. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. We true conservatives should not have done so. Bush43 is as incompetent as we ever thought he was. I found from the earliest debates against Gore that I could not watch him speak without dying from embarassment. I have never voted for Bush 41 and more than anything in the last two presidential elections voted AGAINST Gore and Kerry.

Where in the world did we get this silly idea that Harvard is the only proving ground for Presidential mettle? We have had 20 years of Harvard Grad incompetence in the White House. Moderates with no rudder and others whose libido would effectively bring the govt to a complete halt, and come before Mid-East Peace Negotiations.

What we need is a common sense common man that can look the American People in the eye and tell us that we must get off the Mid-East Oil addiction. We must cleanly drill off our own coasts and in ANWR. We must revitalize the Nuclear Power Industry, and at the same time search for every scrap of alternative energy to be found. We must SEAL the borders. We must stop the hiring of illegals. We must punish, with real cosequences, those who rob the American investors, ie over paid and corrupt CEOs. We must quit spending money on every stupid program that gets proposed in Congress. We must balance the budget. We must win the War on Terrorism/Islamo-fascism while not getting dragged into 20 year commitments around the world. We should insure that SS will be there in the end. That we dont have a looming SS crisis coming that will indeed wreck the economy.

Having said all that, I dont think there is one candidate running that will do even one of those things. Not one...for NOW.

Can we wait 6-8 years to begin fixing the problems we have now? We should have started fixing these problems long ago. Instead, we just kept making gas guzzlers and so forth. Behaving as though we have an inexhaustible source of energy in oil. I'll say it again, someone better start pooping out some really good short term energy ideas or who knows. Diesel is already hitting $4 a gallon.

Is this fixable? I think so but it will take some revolutionary thinking.

Well, here's the thing. If you walk into the voting booth and pull the lever for either the Democrats or the Republicans, then you live in either denial or you have a cynical self-interest involved. I'm always interested how people will back their party to the hilt, no matter what, when really you're simply throwing your lot in with either one band of self-serving thugs or another. Neither party represents either the short-term or long-term interests of the American people. Back either one of them is simply an invitation to economic ruin.

That's why I'm voting for the half white,half black guy.Before you jump I know he went to Harvard.Hell, if I would have had the brains,money and drive when I was that age I would have loved to gone to.

Thank you DKW it is always good when you can have an awakining.Now just waiting on TIGERMIKES

Archived