What is Rodriguez doing in Ann Arbor?

AU_tiger_2000

Link

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) -- Offensive lineman Justin Boren says he's left the Michigan football team because the program's "family values have eroded."

The 6-foot-3, 310-pound Boren would have been one of two returning starters on the offensive line next season and the Wolverines' most experienced lineman. The junior-to-be started every game last season, either at center or left guard.

ADVERTISEMENT

Boren left the team Monday. On Wednesday he released a statement saying in part: "Michigan football was a family, built on mutual respect and support for each other from (former) Coach (Lloyd) Carr on down. We knew it took the entire family, a team effort, and we all worked together.

"I have great trouble accepting that those family values have eroded in just a few months. " ... That I am unable to perform under these circumstances at the level I expect of myself, and my teammates and Michigan fans deserve, is why I have made the decision to leave."

Boren told reporters after Michigan's first spring practice 10 days ago that adapting to new coach Rich Rodriguez's no-huddle spread offense was physically challenging. He mentioned the difficulty the offensive linemen had constantly running to the line of scrimmage.

In comments reported by The Detroit News, Detroit Free Press and The Ann Arbor News, Rodriguez said Tuesday that he would not discuss Boren's decision.

"I don't know if we'll have any more (attrition), but we're forging ahead with guys that play for Michigan," the coach said.

Link

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) -- Offensive lineman Justin Boren says he's left the Michigan football team because the program's "family values have eroded."

The 6-foot-3, 310-pound Boren would have been one of two returning starters on the offensive line next season and the Wolverines' most experienced lineman. The junior-to-be started every game last season, either at center or left guard.

ADVERTISEMENT

Boren left the team Monday. On Wednesday he released a statement saying in part: "Michigan football was a family, built on mutual respect and support for each other from (former) Coach (Lloyd) Carr on down. We knew it took the entire family, a team effort, and we all worked together.

"I have great trouble accepting that those family values have eroded in just a few months. " ... That I am unable to perform under these circumstances at the level I expect of myself, and my teammates and Michigan fans deserve, is why I have made the decision to leave."

Boren told reporters after Michigan's first spring practice 10 days ago that adapting to new coach Rich Rodriguez's no-huddle spread offense was physically challenging. He mentioned the difficulty the offensive linemen had constantly running to the line of scrimmage.

In comments reported by The Detroit News, Detroit Free Press and The Ann Arbor News, Rodriguez said Tuesday that he would not discuss Boren's decision.

"I don't know if we'll have any more (attrition), but we're forging ahead with guys that play for Michigan," the coach said.

Particularly one paragraph jumped out at me.

"Boren told reporters after Michigan's first spring practice 10 days ago that adapting to new coach Rich Rodriguez's no-huddle spread offense was physically challenging. He mentioned the difficulty the offensive linemen had constantly running to the line of scrimmage."

He must be big-time out of shape. That is what we switched to, isn't it, and I don't see our OL griping about it being too hard on them.

AU Alum,

I thought the same thing and I think I agree with you. But is it possible that RR's spread is a little faster than ours? I'm not sure. Could just be the way they practice (different philosophies). Are all no-huddle spread offenses alike in terms of how hard the OL has to work? I would assume so, but not sure. I don't know if he is referring to the conditioning or not.

That line jumped out at me too. From what I understand Rich Rod is a hardcore kinda guy and I don't think that Carr was the disciplinarian that Rich Rod is. That could be a factor in him leaving. Kinda hard to go from an easy going coach to one that screams and yells all the time.

I think this is normal. To be honest, this guy sounds like a big crybaby....quitting the team because you have to run too much? That could be why you lost to Appalachian State, son.

Rich Rodriguez always has been and always will be one of the biggest scumbags in college sports

His short time at Tulane produced some memorable off-the-field incidents which rarely went reported and when he left WVU and people started speaking out on the message boards about sleeping with a cheerleader & office woman....didn't shock me. I heard the same things in just 2 years at Tulane

I agree that Rich Rod may be one of the biggest scumbag coaches, but this player does sound like he is soft. The fact that he mentions the change in the offense and the extra work makes me thing that is the real issue for him leaving. Like somebody said, that type of work ethic may be way Appy State beat them.

Archived