INSIGHT

Tigermike

“There is a class of colored people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs—partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs.” — Booker T. Washington

Jackson, Sharpton, Hannity, Limbaugh, Coulter ... Yes. Obama, No.

In fact, a similar anger exists within segments of the white community. Most working- and middle-class white Americans don’t feel that they have been particularly privileged by their race. Their experience is the immigrant experience — as far as they’re concerned, no one’s handed them anything, they’ve built it from scratch. They’ve worked hard all their lives, many times only to see their jobs shipped overseas or their pension dumped after a lifetime of labor. They are anxious about their futures, and feel their dreams slipping away; in an era of stagnant wages and global competition, opportunity comes to be seen as a zero sum game, in which your dreams come at my expense. So when they are told to bus their children to a school across town; when they hear that an African-American is getting an advantage in landing a good job or a spot in a good college because of an injustice that they themselves never committed; when they’re told that their fears about crime in urban neighborhoods are somehow prejudiced, resentment builds over time.

Like the anger within the black community, these resentments aren’t always expressed in polite company. But they have helped shape the political landscape for at least a generation. Anger over welfare and affirmative action helped forge the Reagan Coalition. Politicians routinely exploited fears of crime for their own electoral ends. Talk show hosts and conservative commentators built entire careers unmasking bogus claims of racism while dismissing legitimate discussions of racial injustice and inequality as mere political correctness or reverse racism.

Just as black anger often proved counterproductive, so have these white resentments distracted attention from the real culprits of the middle class squeeze — a corporate culture rife with inside dealing, questionable accounting practices, and short-term greed; a Washington dominated by lobbyists and special interests; economic policies that favor the few over the many. And yet, to wish away the resentments of white Americans, to label them as misguided or even racist, without recognizing they are grounded in legitimate concerns — this too widens the racial divide and blocks the path to understanding.

This is where we are right now.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0308/9100_Page3.html

Jackson, Sharpton, Hannity, Limbaugh, Coulter ... Yes. Obama, No.

My. My. What a blind follower you are. Achmed never tried to discount what was said. He tried to justify it. I guess it's just us typical white people who see through this. But then again, we are all just racists because we don't believe in the black achmed. Because in the end, no matter how you spin it, it will come down to achmed playing the race card. He has already set us up for it.

I just think you have misjudged the silent majority. We don;t dislike achmed because he's black. Or because he has an angry, black, spiteful, full of hatred for the white man mentor. We can't stand him because he is the MOST LEFT-WINGED person running. As much as we hate Hitlary, we see that she is close to the middle than him. The only change he will try to bring is the destruction of morals and personal responsibility within the US.

When you have to turn your head to the right to see Teddy "the killer" Kennedy, you know you are out there. That is your leader and we despise his values.

You don't like him because he's brilliant. You try to tear him down so he won't tear up John McCain and the Republican party in the process. The status quo is on it's way out the door...and nothing you can do is going to stop it. Pithy enough for you?

You don't like him because he's brilliant. You try to tear him down so he won't tear up John McCain and the Republican party in the process. The status quo is on it's way out the door...and nothing you can do is going to stop it. Pithy enough for you?

You really can't get past the fact that someone may not like Obama b/c of his liberal voting record and that we might believe that as president that we will still continue to be just as liberal can you? Are you serious? We don't like him b/c he is brilliant? Please tell me you are joking.

You really can't get past the fact that someone may not like Obama b/c of his liberal voting record and that we might believe that as president that we will still continue to be just as liberal can you? Are you serious? We don't like him b/c he is brilliant? Please tell me you are joking.

No he wasn't joking. He really thinks that way.

I'll give Obama this...he is a very intelligent, well spoken individual. When I first starting looking at candidates, he stood out and got my attention. After that, I read what he is about and looked at his voting record which made me not like the guy.

Because of that intelligence, he would be a fool not to play the race card. If he can garner enough of the black vote to come in to heavier black populations that would typically vote Republican (the south), he stands a good chance in the fall. I think you are already seeing and will see an increase in the "get out and vote" movement targeted at the black community.

I'm not exactly crazy about McCain, but when it comes down to McCain or Obama, I'll take a few reservations with McCain over a baby killing, military reducing, Robin Hood wannabe liberal like Obama.

I'll give Obama this...he is a very intelligent, well spoken individual. When I first starting looking at candidates, he stood out and got my attention. After that, I read what he is about and looked at his voting record which made me not like the guy.

Because of that intelligence, he would be a fool not to play the race card. If he can garner enough of the black vote to come in to heavier black populations that would typically vote Republican (the south), he stands a good chance in the fall. I think you are already seeing and will see an increase in the "get out and vote" movement targeted at the black community.

I'm not exactly crazy about McCain, but when it comes down to McCain or Obama, I'll take a few reservations with McCain over a baby killing, military reducing, Robin Hood wannabe liberal like Obama.

In the words of Ron Stoppable..."BOOYAH!!!"

Archived