75k in Portland

RunInRed

Good thing they didn't choose "too large" of a venue...

For hours now, we've been seeing stories about the huge lines for today's outdoor rally at Waterfront Park in Portland, Oregon. It's now been confirmed that the actual crowd on hand topped 75,000 people (60,000 inside the gates of Waterfront Park, with another 15,000 outside). Here is what the largest crowd yet of this Presidential campaign looks like:

Portland75K.jpeg

Portland75K02.jpg

Portland75K04.jpg

2503438705_c22cf79b6b_o.jpg

2504271714_d92a62633c_o.jpg

gall.obama.portland.cnn.jpg

Under skies that obligingly turned from habitual gray to clear blue, Democratic presidential front-runner Barack Obama on Sunday drew the largest crowd of his 15-month marathon campaign for the presidency.

Sixty-thousand people packed into a park alongside the banks of the Willamette River to listen to Obama, with another 15,000 left standing outside the gates, according to city fire officials. Hundreds more anchored their motorboats, or floated in kayaks and canoes.

... Even after months on the trail, Obama seemed slightly stunned by the size of the crowd, saying "Wow, wow, wow" as he surveyed the audience.

"We have had a lot of rallies," he said. "This is the most spectacular setting, the most spectacular crowd we have had this entire campaign."

In August of 2004, then-Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry held a large rally in the same location, drawing about 45,000 people.

But on Sunday, Obama topped that without even being the official nominee, speaking to a crowd filled with sunscreen-smeared babies in sun hats, union members in matching T-shirts, elderly ladies fanning themselves under the hot sun and twenty-somethings dancing to his opening act, the Portland-based band The Decemberists.

Some voters lined up before dawn to see him, including Michelle Kay.

"We are all so sick of Bush, his lies, the war," she said. "When Obama came out he was so honest, so refreshing."

Others arrived at the last minute, such as Afang Tang-Christianson of Beaverton and her husband Daniel. She is due to give birth to twins in the next week or two, and the two had spent the morning at the hospital when she began feeling early contractions.

But after leaving, she said they came straight to the rally, adding, "It's all about a new beginning, a new start. We are really hoping for change in Washington."

http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/p...eupdates/gGBfJH

Good thing they didn't choose "too large" of a venue...

For hours now, we've been seeing stories about the huge lines for today's outdoor rally at Waterfront Park in Portland, Oregon. It's now been confirmed that the actual crowd on hand topped 75,000 people (60,000 inside the gates of Waterfront Park, with another 15,000 outside). Here is what the largest crowd yet of this Presidential campaign looks like:

Portland75K.jpeg

gall.obama.portland.cnn.jpg

Thousands and thousands on land and water attend an Obama rally In Portland Oregon Sunday. Pleasure boats and kayaks along the Willamette River and Obama supporters in Waterfront Park. According to the Obama campaign, the rally is his largest gathering to date.

http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/p...eupdates/gGBfgK

It was all done by camera angles and mirrors.

Nice crowd for 2nd place. But much like bammer having 90k + at their spring game, it won't amount to much in the fall.

Too bad they only have 7 electoral college votes

;)

We're still in the primaries, though. 52 delegates at stake.

;)

"We are all so sick of Bush, his lies, the war," she said. "When Obama came out he was so honest, so refreshing."

puuhleease...He is/has/was just telling them what they think they want to hear. At heart I bet her only problem has been displeasure in the U.S. going to war in Iraq. Get over it...no sense in America waiting around for them to bring their terror down on us again! She probably is only knowledgeable in things that the dems have force fed as being a lie.

puuhleease...He is/has/was just telling them what they think they want to hear. At heart I bet her only problem has been displeasure in the U.S. going to war in Iraq. Get over it...no sense in America waiting around for them to bring their terror down on us again! She probably is only knowledgeable in things that the dems have force fed as being a lie.

The Iraqi's brought their terror down on us?

No, the scattershot, disorganized few Al Qaeda members that were wandering around in Iraq under Saddam's watch brought their terror down on us. That's why we had to suck up to countries like Saudi Arabia and ignore ones like Iran, both of which fund far more terror groups than Saddam ever thought of doing and neglect Afghanistan and pussyfoot around with Pakistan that actually house the vast majority of AQ members, but bomb the hell out of Iraq and invade.

You need to think more presidential.

Nice crowd for 2nd place. But much like bammer having 90k + at their spring game, it won't amount to much in the fall.

How is "2nd place" applicable to Barack Obama in Oregon? In the primary or the general election?

he'll more than likely win Oregon, but Hillary is somehow stealing some of his lead. And she's cutting into his lead despite her still being in Kentucky.

http://www.usaelectionpolls.com/2008/oregon.html

Delegates At Stake: 65. Awarded Proportionally

American Research Group

Date: 5/14-16

Oregon

Barack Obama 50%

Hillary Clinton 45%

Unsure 5%

Public Policy Polling

Date: 5/10-11

Oregon

Barack Obama 53%

Hillary Clinton 39%

Unsure 7%

Survey USA

Date: 5/9-11

Oregon

Barack Obama 54%

Hillary Clinton 43%

Unsure 2%

Other 2%

so Obama can go ahead and declare his majority, but a majority isn't 2025. I don't get it, he's still going to win.

How is "2nd place" applicable to Barack Obama in Oregon? In the primary or the general election?

Oregon is a gimmie for the Dems. Much like the Northwest has been for years. Obama is their next "God" to worship. It was Clinton in the 90's, Kerry a couple of years ago, and now Obama. Nothing note worthy about that.

Obama will be 2nd place to McCain in the General as bama is 2nd to AU in the state of AL.

:roflol:

Oh yeah, and why, you ask, the large crowd ? The Decemberists, a favorite local band, happened to open up the festivities , playing a full set before Obama took the stage. Nothing draws a crowd like a crowd.

From Wikipedia ...

The Decemberists are a rock band from Portland, Oregon, fronted by singer/songwriter Colin Meloy. Their debut EP, 5 Songs, was self-released in 2001. Their fourth full-length album, The Crane Wife, was released on 3 October 2006 by Capitol Records, and is the band's first appearance on a major label.

The band is named in reference to an 1825 revolt over the Imperial Russian succession (Decembrist revolt), and is not related to the Bolshevik Revolution of 1917. [2] Their name is also a reference to the atmosphere associated with the month of December.

Obama will be 2nd place to McCain in the General as bama is 2nd to AU in the state of AL.

You heard it here first, AURaptor thinks Auburn is 2nd to bama.

Well, we can agree on one thing, obviously: the latter half of your final statement about bama.

Now, I have no idea who will win this fall. I know who I want, but I'm not going to go ahead and claim victory. Why do you feel the need to do so?

I also fail to see how Obama drawing such an enormous crowd to an event during the primary season (the primary season, folks, not even the general election yet!), especially when the Democratic party is still relatively divided between Obama and Clinton, can bode well for the Republicans in the fall. Sure, Oregon is not really in question in November, but if John McCain were to draw a crowd of similar proportions during a visit to, say, Birmingham, would you dismiss it so wantonly?

For reference, (and I do not have exact numbers here), in Birmingham, Barack Obama drew about 9,000 people to his rally; Mike Huckabee drew about 2,000.

Been away from the world in the past 6 yrs, have ya? Still having problems w/ reading comprehension , after all these years ? Good grief... you got issues, boy.

Been away from the world in the past 6 yrs, have ya? Still having problems w/ reading comprehension , after all these years ? Good grief... you got issues, boy.

Without using insults, I will say read your statement again. When you use words like AS you are creating a relation of the words. Saying Obama will be 2nd AS bama is 2nd implies you think Obama will lose. Since I believe strongly he will win, your words would mean that AU is 2nd in the state. Still having problems w/ reading comprehension , after all these years ? Good grief... you got issues, boy.

Good grief... you got issues, boy.

Said the guy with the Adam Baldwin shrine in his sig!!!

I could be wrong, but I think he was ironically pointing out that Obama will not be second place to McCain, and therefore to qualify your statement, bama would not be second to Auburn.

Luckily, they are not related, so we can have the best of both worlds. War Eagle to that.

EDIT: Oh good, I was right.

Well, we can agree on one thing, obviously: the latter half of your final statement about bama.

Now, I have no idea who will win this fall. I know who I want, but I'm not going to go ahead and claim victory. Why do you feel the need to do so?

Why do I feel the 'need' ? Because I can. Because it's fun. Because it pisses off Obama supporters. Why do I even NEED a reason ? Think my 'brash' prediction will turn some folks off from voting for McCain and turn them to vote for Obama ? Hell, anyone that fickle doesn't deserve to vote ! And even if you say they do deserve to vote, then our country is in far worse shape than even i imagined.

I also fail to see how Obama drawing such an enormous crowd to an event during the primary season (the primary season, folks, not even the general election yet!), especially when the Democratic party is still relatively divided between Obama and Clinton, can bode well for the Republicans in the fall. Sure, Oregon is not really in question in November, but if John McCain were to draw a crowd of similar proportions during a visit to, say, Birmingham, would you dismiss it so wantonly?

For reference, (and I do not have exact numbers here), in Birmingham, Barack Obama drew about 9,000 people to his rally; Mike Huckabee drew about 2,000.

What's so unique about Mike Huckabee ? A Governor from Arkansas, running for President ? Wow, we've never seen THAT before!! :poke: Spare me the comparisons. We've got 2 different parties which are running their own array of candidates. Barack is new, shiny , a " clean and articulate " candidate, as Joe Biden called him.

“I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy,” he said. “I mean, that’s a storybook, man.”

Oh yeah, and why, you ask, the large crowd ? The Decemberists, a favorite local band, happened to open up the festivities , playing a full set before Obama took the stage. Nothing draws a crowd like a crowd.

From Wikipedia ...

The Decemberists are a rock band from Portland, Oregon, fronted by singer/songwriter Colin Meloy. Their debut EP, 5 Songs, was self-released in 2001. Their fourth full-length album, The Crane Wife, was released on 3 October 2006 by Capitol Records, and is the band's first appearance on a major label.

The band is named in reference to an 1825 revolt over the Imperial Russian succession (Decembrist revolt), and is not related to the Bolshevik Revolution of 1917. [2] Their name is also a reference to the atmosphere associated with the month of December.

So this was a communist loving band?

Par for the course.

SO THERE WAS A CONCERT TOO

Okay, we get it. At first we were a it amazed that 75,000 people would show up in Portland, Oregon to see the Obamessiah. Turns out that there were some other acts on the schedule. It wasn't all for Barack.

It turns out, you see, that many (perhaps a majority) of these people didn't come to see the stud, they came to see a rock concert. Not just any concert either. This particular band likes to play the Soviet national anthem.

So let me ask you this ... which one is worse: The fact that 75,000 people showed up to hear a presidential candidate make a speech or the fact that 75,000 showed up to hear some longhairs who see something glam in the old Soviet Union? Oh .. and by the way, considering Barack's past self-admitted affinity for Marxism, isn't this choice of rock bands and their music somewhat perplexing?

LINK

Obama’s Huge Portland Crowd Was Because Of A Free Rock Concert By Communist-Sympathizing Musicians

And not really just his speech. So all you liberals can stop wetting your pants now

The thing is, it gets worse for Obama. Not only was this big crowd hyped by the media with no mention of the fact that it was a crowd for a rock concert and not just Obama, the rock band in question calls themselves the Decemberists after the Russian Decembrist Revolt. The band is fond of playing the Soviet national anthem at the beginning of shows, and has popular songs like “Sixteen Military Wives” which depicts America as an international bully declaring war on innocent nations

Just what Obama needs while suffering from criticism about his connections to Rev. Jeremiah “damn America” Wright and William “Bomb ‘Em All” Ayers

LINK

From Wikipedia ...

So this was a communist loving band?

Par for the course.

SO THERE WAS A CONCERT TOO

Okay, we get it. At first we were a it amazed that 75,000 people would show up in Portland, Oregon to see the Obamessiah. Turns out that there were some other acts on the schedule. It wasn't all for Barack.

It turns out, you see, that many (perhaps a majority) of these people didn't come to see the stud, they came to see a rock concert. Not just any concert either. This particular band likes to play the Soviet national anthem.

So let me ask you this ... which one is worse: The fact that 75,000 people showed up to hear a presidential candidate make a speech or the fact that 75,000 showed up to hear some longhairs who see something glam in the old Soviet Union? Oh .. and by the way, considering Barack's past self-admitted affinity for Marxism, isn't this choice of rock bands and their music somewhat perplexing?

LINK

Obama’s Huge Portland Crowd Was Because Of A Free Rock Concert By Communist-Sympathizing Musicians

And not really just his speech. So all you liberals can stop wetting your pants now

The thing is, it gets worse for Obama. Not only was this big crowd hyped by the media with no mention of the fact that it was a crowd for a rock concert and not just Obama, the rock band in question calls themselves the Decemberists after the Russian Decembrist Revolt. The band is fond of playing the Soviet national anthem at the beginning of shows, and has popular songs like “Sixteen Military Wives” which depicts America as an international bully declaring war on innocent nations

Just what Obama needs while suffering from criticism about his connections to Rev. Jeremiah “damn America” Wright and William “Bomb ‘Em All” Ayers

LINK

I just laughed out loud at all of that. Thought I'd share.

Yeah. a free concert in Portland by one of their own bands. Laugh all you want.

Archived