Dims draft 2nd stimulus package.

CCTAU

If this is not just blowing with the political winds, what is?

Dems draft second stimulus package

By Manu Raju

Posted: 06/11/08 12:47 PM [ET]

Senate Democrats are planning a new economic stimulus package that could come to the floor as soon as July — in the heat of the general-election season.

Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) said Wednesday that the “broad outlines” of a proposal are now being developed. The legislation could contain measures beyond further rebate checks for taxpayers, such as funding for infrastructure projects, an extension of unemployment insurance and assistance to the states.

“But depending on the state of the economy, we would certainly entertain rebates as well,” said Schumer, the vice chairman of the Senate Democratic Conference. “I’m speaking for myself, but I think I mirror the leadership here. To just do rebate checks again without some more serious structural issues ... would not have the kind of punch it needs.”

Schumer later said the package would not be considered until after Congress returns in July from its Independence Day recess.

“The checks are just coming out now, and we don’t know how much punch it’s giving the economy,” he said of the first round of rebate checks that were approved by Congress and President Bush in February.

The latest move could create an election-year skirmish between the two parties and their presidential candidates, Sens. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) and John McCain (R-Ariz.). The two have spent the week sparring over the economy, and Obama has called for a second stimulus package that includes another rebate check and tax breaks for seniors and the middle class. McCain says his opponent's plan would lead to a tax hike across the economy.

LINK

The second stimulus package will be mostly food stamps. If you could ever be sure about money getting sent back into the economy, it would be food stamps. Its not like you can invest them, and the people who get them are the ones most in need.

I dont see how you could oppose that, but I'm sure you will come up with something.

Only if it came with a no tax increase clause.

Fix the oil issue, and the rest will follow suit!

Only if it came with a no tax increase clause.

Fix the oil issue, and the rest will follow suit!

That will never float with the dims. :no::no::no:

The second stimulus package will be mostly food stamps. If you could ever be sure about money getting sent back into the economy, it would be food stamps. Its not like you can invest them, and the people who get them are the ones most in need.

I dont see how you could oppose that, but I'm sure you will come up with something.

Food stamps is the most abused program in the nation. I can go cash out as much as I want right now at .50 on the dollar. Why can't dims ever come up with something new that doesn't cost me more in taxes?

Food stamps is the most abused program in the nation.

In high school, I worked as a bag-boy at a grocery store. We were the old type that carried your loaf of bread out to your car unless asked not too. I saw sooooo many people dressed in their new top name clothes get angry b/c their food stamps wouldn't pay for their high end HBA items or cigarettes. I just thought that pissed me off until I carried their stuff out to a new Cadillac. No exaggerations.

Sure some of the people with the cards really needed them and seemed to be appreciative and make their "dollar" go further.

Others came through and from an outsider's view, you would think they could use them. Scraping together enough nickels and pennies to pay for a gallon of milk and bag of lunch meat seemed to be the norm. Some were too proud to apply, some thought they were in better shape than ones who really were in need, and others were declined.

Though a lot are helped it seems very abused. Good idea on paper. Add the human greed element and it sours.

Regardless if it is abused or not, it is the most effective stimulus program anyone can come up with. That is the point.

Regardless if it is abused or not, it is the most effective stimulus program anyone can come up with. That is the point.

And that is what makes it even sadder.

And that is what makes it even sadder.

Amen CCTAU! :thumbsup:

Most of Congress sucks, that goes for Democrats and Republicans both! There needs to be a mass overhaul in DC.

Archived