Barack Obama, Serial Flip-Flopper

Tigermike

June 23, 2008 09:29 AM ET |

Bonnie Erbe

Both presidential candidates spent the weekend trying to explain away recent policy reversals. The predominant question for voters this November may well become: Whose list of flip-flops is longer and more egregious?

From CNN.com:

Days after both men reversed course on major issues, the presidential campaigns of Sen. Barack Obama and Sen. John McCain spent much of Sunday's talk-show circuit working to ensure accusations of "flip-flopping" don't stick.

From where I sit, flip-flopping is an unbeatable addiction for Obama. For McCain, by comparison, it's an occasional foible.

The flip-flops preoccupying them right now are on acceptance of public financing for Obama and on offshore oil drilling for McCain.

McCain's policy change makes sense given changed circumstances. Obama's is based purely on greed. McCain opposed offshore oil drilling before but now says it should be pursued off the Florida coast. I don't support his new position. America should be promoting alternative energy sources, not drilling for more oil. But given the run-up in oil prices, one can understand McCain's change of heart.

Obama's flip-flop, on the other hand, is purely about self-interest. He promised to accept public financing before he knew he could raise more money from donors. Now that he can raise twice as much from donors as Uncle Sam would give him if he forswore private donations, of course he's pursuing the bigger bucks. What's more troubling is Obama's list of flip-flops is so limitless, he's beginning to sound like he tailors his position to whichever audience he's addressing at the moment. When he spoke to an AIPAC meeting a couple of weeks back, he said he supports Israeli control of Jerusalem. The next day, trying to placate angry Arab supporters, Obama said "negotiators" should work out the contentious Jerusalem issue.

As a New York Post editorial observed:

• He [Obama] ripped Hillary Clinton for months for voting to list Iran's Revolutionary Guard as a terrorist organization. Days after Clinton conceded, Obama flipped and said he supported the definition.

• Obama repeatedly vowed to meet with various heads of terror states—most notably Ahmadinejad of Iran—"without preconditions." Then, with the nomination in sight, he zigzagged: "There's no reason why we would necessarily meet with Ahmadinejad. He's not the most powerful person in Iran."

• In October, he supported NAFTA expansion. In March, campaigning in the Ohio primary, he called for a "reopening" of the trade pact's terms. This week, he called his own primary rhetoric "overheated" and said NAFTA has had a positive effect on the US economy.

• Yesterday, after signaling opposition to nuclear power, he told Democratic governors he's open to expanding it."

There are many, many other examples, some of which I've noted in prior posts. Change we can believe in? No, change we can count on, because as soon as he takes a position, we can count on the fact he's going to change it in front of the next audience.

link

Duck, Tigermike......I can hear the Obamaniacs coming to his aid......

Duck, Tigermike......I can hear the Obamaniacs coming to his aid......

No more than likely they will put their heads in the sand and hope it goes away. Because they know he will chage his mind again 10 to 15 more times before the November elections.

Now we are learning what he really meat when he was speaking of hope and chage!

I tell you what...you tell us why McCain has flip flopped on the following:

Immigration,

Taxes,

Social Security, and

Offshore Oil Drilling

And then we might be able to take this thread seriously. Post all sides of the debate or don't bother.

I tell you what...you tell us why McCain has flip flopped on the following:

Immigration,

Taxes,

Social Security, and

Offshore Oil Drilling

And then we might be able to take this thread seriously. Post all sides of the debate or don't bother. (Who the hell died and made you king?)

I'll tell you what. You start a thread on that and I will decide yea or nea to (a) read, or (B) reply.

Just like arnold, you need to stay on topic.

If you can't follow and participate in a discussion then you are the one who should not bother.

Start the thread, any thread you like. But if you can't stay on topic then you should STFU. It's really simple. Threads are started and you either join in or you don't.

As for now,,,,, this thread is titled

Barack Obama, Serial Flip-Flopper and the subject is Obama's increasing use of the flip flop to say what he is for on any particular day and in from of what ever audience.

If it is too hard for you to follow along and participate in the conversation, don't. That would be your choice.

I challenge your post with facts that McCain has been quite the flip-flopper himself on a myriad of issues and then you choose to exercise your democratic powers by deleting my posts - and then you call me childish? RIIIGHT.

I challenge your post with facts that McCain has been quite the flip-flopper himself on a myriad of issues and then you choose to exercise your democratic powers by deleting my posts - and then you call me childish? RIIIGHT.

Get over it. You were warned and yet you still want to bitch and moan like a 6 year old. Stick to the topic or don't. But if you don't your replies will be moderated the same way Arnolds have been in the past.

Now if you can't or won't stay on topic, then STFU.

And then we might be able to take this thread seriously. Post all sides of the debate or don't bother.

Are you freakin' kidding me? You just did not say that did you? You are the king of posting only one side of a debate. You are the king of totally hijacking and then putting a spin on it.

IT IS CALLED THE POLITICAL FORUM FOR A REASON. If you can't handle debate, then maybe you should not bother. You can't go posting all sorts of stuff about McCain, then get your panties in a wad when somebody posts something about Obama.

FYI...Show me a politician that has never changed their mind about a piece of legislation and I will show you a Utopian society. It happens, so I really have no problem if somebody changes their mind about a piece of legislation they may have supported or not supported in the past. However, when a politician starts telling lies about their past opinion on legislation, then I have an issue with that.

Give me a politician that will at least tell me what his plan is over one that only says he has a plan. At least then I can try to decipher the bs from the possible.

Bonnie Erbe

Both presidential candidates spent the weekend trying to explain away recent policy reversals. The predominant question for voters this November may well become: Whose list of flip-flops is longer and more egregious?

From CNN.com:

Days after both men reversed course on major issues, the presidential campaigns of Sen. Barack Obama and Sen. John McCain spent much of Sunday's talk-show circuit working to ensure accusations of "flip-flopping" don't stick.

From where I sit, flip-flopping is an unbeatable addiction for Obama. For McCain, by comparison, it's an occasional foible.

The flip-flops preoccupying them right now are on acceptance of public financing for Obama and on offshore oil drilling for McCain.

McCain's policy change makes sense given changed circumstances. Obama's is based purely on greed. McCain opposed offshore oil drilling before but now says it should be pursued off the Florida coast. I don't support his new position. America should be promoting alternative energy sources, not drilling for more oil. But given the run-up in oil prices, one can understand McCain's change of heart.

Obama's flip-flop, on the other hand, is purely about self-interest. He promised to accept public financing before he knew he could raise more money from donors. Now that he can raise twice as much from donors as Uncle Sam would give him if he forswore private donations, of course he's pursuing the bigger bucks.

Utter BS. St. John would have opted out, too, if he thought he could raise the funds. In fact, he promised to do so, but flipflopped on that, too: :roflol::roflol::roflol:

updated 8:20 a.m. CT, Fri., March. 2, 2007

WASHINGTON - Republican presidential candidate John McCain, a longtime advocate of limiting the influence of money in political campaigns, will opt out of the post-Watergate presidential public financing system unless the Democratic nominee agrees to campaign under the same financial restrictions, his campaign said Thursday.

The McCain camp's decision came after the Federal Election Commission eased some political fundraising rules in hopes of salvaging the tattered presidential financing system in the 2008 campaign.

By a 5-0 vote, the commission said presidential candidates may solicit private contributions for the general election now and still be eligible for public financing if they become their party's nominee.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17417007/

Spin that one, McCainbots. :poke:

Obama is also a cereal flip flopper. He'll drop his lucky charms like a bad habit if someone waves some fruity pebbles under his nose. What a loser.

Don't worry RIR, they usually can't follow the bouncing ball, so it makes their face contort, then they delete your post and accuse you off being of topic.

Don't worry RIR, they usually can't follow the bouncing ball, so it makes their face contort, then they delete your post and accuse you off being of topic.

Like you he never lets facts get in the way of the talking points provided him by the Obama campaign.

And for the record "I challenge your post with facts" is an out and out lie.

So you two little girls go back to the corner and talk all you want.

Bonnie Erbe

From CNN.com:

Obama's flip-flop, on the other hand, is purely about self-interest. He promised to accept public financing before he knew he could raise more money from donors. Now that he can raise twice as much from donors as Uncle Sam would give him if he forswore private donations, of course he's pursuing the bigger bucks.

Utter BS. St. John would have opted out, too, if he thought he could raise the funds. In fact, he promised to do so, but flipflopped on that, too: :roflol::roflol::roflol:

updated 8:20 a.m. CT, Fri., March. 2, 2007

WASHINGTON - Republican presidential candidate John McCain, a longtime advocate of limiting the influence of money in political campaigns, will opt out of the post-Watergate presidential public financing system unless the Democratic nominee agrees to campaign under the same financial restrictions, his campaign said Thursday.

The McCain camp's decision came after the Federal Election Commission eased some political fundraising rules in hopes of salvaging the tattered presidential financing system in the 2008 campaign.

By a 5-0 vote, the commission said presidential candidates may solicit private contributions for the general election now and still be eligible for public financing if they become their party's nominee.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17417007/

Spin that one, McCainbots. :poke:

Still no takers? TigerMike? Defend your boy!

THEY BOTH FLIP FLOP......At least McCain can give a REAL reason as to why, and not come up with some fantasy movement to create a bait and switch.

McCain should have changed his mind on some of these issues, because he was able to actually SEE the reasons for a position change and BACK IT UP with personal facts and solutions. Obama.......well, we have to wait, and wait, and wait.....until his next CD rolls out, or the next vo doo doll shows up with pins in it.

That's why he won't debate McCain in the open more than once. He'd get killed. McCain can't "speak" like Obama, but he can roll up his sleeves and counter ten times better than ole Barrack. And Obama can bumble with the best of them.

Archived