Since I know it's coming

Birmingham

Just making more room to get those new recruits all on scholarship according to the rules.

Saban can look into the future!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How long until we see a post about how tough Sabear is with discipline. "He kicked Elder and Johns off of the Team!" He is already taking credit for the textbook suspensions (out of his control).

Alabama's football program is a complete joke. Textbook scandals, armed robbery, drunk driving color commentators, coke distribution, fighting with bouncers. Sad.

How long until we see a post about how tough Sabear is with discipline. "He kicked Elder and Johns off of the Team!" He is already taking credit for the textbook suspensions (out of his control).

Alabama's football program is a complete joke. Textbook scandals, armed robbery, drunk driving color commentators, coke distribution, fighting with bouncers. Sad.

Oh, come on. Surely you jest. It's called "tradition" don't you know? The Bear made the alcohol popular. And Namath and Stabler took the paton. JJ maybe just felt that the "tradition" needed modernizing.

OK, whose got the over/under on how long its takes our resident bammers to come on here and spin the crap out of this one.

Outside of Rolando McClain, Bama is terrible at LB. This guy could have been a contributor. Any way you look at it, this hurts.

If you read all the "resident bama fans" responses, you'll see there's no spin.

Jimmy wasn't slated to be a contributor this year, he was slated for a redshirt...having spent his other 3 seasons as a tailback.

Not trying to flame, but according to BOL, he's atop the depth chart at 1 LB slot.

OK, whose got the over/under on how long its takes our resident bammers to come on here and spin the crap out of this one.

Outside of Rolando McClain, Bama is terrible at LB. This guy could have been a contributor. Any way you look at it, this hurts.

Jimmy wasn't slated to be a contributor this year, he was slated for a redshirt...having spent his other 3 seasons as a tailback.

Not trying to flame, but according to BOL, he's atop the depth chart at 1 LB slot.

Don't you know, Bammer's recruiting class rolls 5 deep at SEC starting LB's. Everyone on the current depth chart is a Shula recruit, they were never any good.

With the breaking news that another UA linebacker, Jimmy Johns, has been arrested on drug charges, Hall's return to the squad becomes all the more critical. UA is short on depth at the position, and Johns worked with both the first and second units at linebacker during spring drills after switching from running back. UA has not yet released an official statement on Johns.

And this is a quote from a free Rivals article.

Lots of practice time for a "redshirt candidate".

whats the current Fulmer Cup standings? Looks like that will move them up tied for 7th place with 3 points to give them a total off 11 points in the standings.

Oh no, they're in contention for the lead now. Five counts of a felony charge = 15 points

For anyone who knows Jimmy or knows the circles he runs in, this is no surprise.

Doesn't make it any less sad.

I'd love to say it's a shock.......but it really isn't. I wasn't exactly expecting something of THIS magnitude...some pot maybe. Oh well...a waste of talent for us, a waste of a life for him.

Of course, you guys all knew he was a bad seed. Good riddance. Process. Blah blah blah.

Why didn't any of you make mention of this BEFORE he was arrested? According to you guys you had nothing but saints dubbed by Saban Almighty.

Why don't you tell us which other players won't shock you when something like this comes out?

Jimmy Johns, arrested for selling cocaine to officers 4 times according to the Birmingham news. Geeeeez, it just keeps going on. Why doesn't these parents look at this before a kid commits? :thumbsdown:

Link: http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2008/06/ua_foo...ohns_suspe.html

whats the current Fulmer Cup standings? Looks like that will move them up tied for 7th place with 3 points to give them a total off 11 points in the standings.

Oh no, they're in contention for the lead now. Five counts of a felony charge = 15 points

For anyone who knows Jimmy or knows the circles he runs in, this is no surprise.

Doesn't make it any less sad.

I'd love to say it's a shock.......but it really isn't. I wasn't exactly expecting something of THIS magnitude...some pot maybe. Oh well...a waste of talent for us, a waste of a life for him.

Of course, you guys all knew he was a bad seed. Good riddance. Process. Blah blah blah.

Why didn't any of you make mention of this BEFORE he was arrested? According to you guys you had nothing but saints dubbed by Saban Almighty.

Why don't you tell us which other players won't shock you when something like this comes out?

I was talking for myself. It's no secret that Johns had a bad attitude, and has a lot of off the field issues. I figured that at some point he would be kicked off for something....just not being a cocaine dealer.

really, I hadn't heard that. Thanks for breaking the news.

:big:

On if there were other players involved...

"He was alone," Snyder said. "No other players were involved. Nobody else on the team."

Nick Saban's statement...

"Jimmy Johns has been dismissed from the team," Saban said in a statement. "This type of behavior obviously will not be tolerated and he is no longer a part of our program."

I'm sure that someone will have something derogatory to say about Saban kicking him off the team by lunch time.... whatever... it is what it is, aight.

http://blog.al.com/rapsheet/2008/06/narcot...r_age.html#more

http://blog.al.com/bamabeat/2008/06/saban_...f_alabamas.html

I hate to see anyone throw their life away, but he did it to himself. I don't feel one bit sorry for him. People make decisions, and poor decisions (like dealing drugs - especially to undercover cops on 5 separate occasions) usually result in consequences. That's life.

For the record, I would say the same thing had it been an Auburn player. Thankfully we haven't had problems like this in quite some time.

On if there were other players involved...

"He was alone," Snyder said. "No other players were involved. Nobody else on the team."

Nick Saban's statement...

"Jimmy Johns has been dismissed from the team," Saban said in a statement. "This type of behavior obviously will not be tolerated and he is no longer a part of our program."

I'm sure that someone will have something derogatory to say about Saban kicking him off the team by lunch time.... whatever... it is what it is, aight.

http://blog.al.com/rapsheet/2008/06/narcot...r_age.html#more

http://blog.al.com/bamabeat/2008/06/saban_...f_alabamas.html

Wow, what a courageous act by Saban. We should all bow at his master disciplinary actions for kicking a player off for 5 COUNTS OF FELONY DRUG CHARGES.

Give me a break. How is it possible for him to be on the team when he's going to be confined to a cell for 15 years?

You're seriously going to give him credit for this? Just like he credited himself for disciplining the textbook 5...Never amazed...

I hate to see anyone throw their life away, but he did it to himself. I don't feel one bit sorry for him. People make decisions, and poor decisions (like dealing drugs - especially to undercover cops on 5 separate occasions) usually result in consequences. That's life.

For the record, I would say the same thing had it been an Auburn player. Thankfully we haven't had problems like this in quite some time.

True. While I feel sorry for his family, I hope he gets what's coming to him. Lives are destroyed all of the time from cocaine and drugs like it. He's a dealer. He fuels a life-altering if not life-ending addiction. He deserves punishment.

ESPN article with a little more discussion of the Bama LB situation:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3458871

Alabama's already thin linebacker corps took another hit Tuesday when senior Jimmy Johns was dismissed from the team following his arrest on multiple drug charges.

Johns, who was moved from running back to linebacker this spring, was arrested Tuesday morning in Tuscaloosa and charged with five felony counts of distributing cocaine.

A sixth charge of possession was also tacked on after police officers searched his off-campus residence and found cocaine and Ecstasy pills, according to Tuscaloosa Police Department Capt. Jeff Snyder, who heads up the West Alabama Narcotics Task Force.

It didn't take Alabama coach Nick Saban long to react; he dismissed Johns immediately.

"This type of behavior obviously will not be tolerated, and he is no longer a part of our program," Saban said in a statement.

Johns is the 10th Alabama football player arrested within the last year.

Snyder said police received information about two months ago that Johns was involved in the selling of drugs.

"Once we were able to get our investigation in place, we were able to buy from him five different times over the last week and a half and were then able to obtain a search warrant for his residence," Snyder said.

Johns is being held in the Tuscaloosa County Jail on $120,000 bond -- $20,000 for each charge.

Snyder said Johns was the only member of the Crimson Tide football program who was a part of the investigation.

"In fact, over the course of our investigation, he indicated that he tried his best not to let anyone else on the team know that he was selling," Snyder said. "As our investigation goes right now, nobody else in the football program is involved."

The Crimson Tide were already without linebacker Prince Hall this spring after Hall was suspended by Saban for disciplinary reasons. Saban said recently, however, that the door was open for Hall to rejoin the team if he met all of the coach's expectations.

Linebacker Ezekiel Knight also remains sidelined because of a heart ailment, and there's concern that he might not be able to play again.

Depending on what happens with Hall, sophomore Rolando McClain is the lone returning linebacker with extensive experience. McClain, a freshman All-America selection last season, manned one of the other two inside spots in the Tide's 3-4 defense this spring along with Johns.

The 6-foot-2, 233-pound Johns was No. 2 on the Tide in rushing in both of his first two years, but he saw reduced playing time last season after missing part of spring practice for academic reasons.

Saban moved Johns to linebacker before last season's bowl game, and he was expected to contribute to a defense already short on experience.

Joking aside, I hate to see a kid throw away his life like this, but he made the choice. . My sympathies to his family.

It's especially sad to see this type of thing (trafficking cocaine) a week after the anniversary of Len Bias' death and the day ESPN.com posts a retrospective on Bias. I'm working in public defense this summer, which makes it even more disppointing to see a black male with a high school diploma and potential for a college degree throw away his advantages and land in a prison system that already has too many young, black men in it. It's nothing I want to gloat over as an Auburn fan. It's just sad. I wish Saban luck in cleaning up the culture in Tuscaloosa.

AUChizad, I wasn't posting for you to bow to Saban, I was posting to answer the response of those thinking he'd only miss a couple of games. Giving information as it becomes available, are you alright with that? As it is, thanks for being the first to write something derogatory about Saban kicking him off the team, as I predicted someone would do.

AUChizad, I wasn't posting for you to bow to Saban, I was posting to answer the response of those thinking he'd only miss a couple of games. Giving information as it becomes available, are you alright with that? As it is, thanks for being the first to write something derogatory about Saban kicking him off the team, as I predicted someone would do.

You keep saying that, like he deserves a medal of honor for kicking a guy who just got 5 6 federal drug charges against him. Again, it's not like he had a choice, when he's going to be in a prison for a long, long time. Sorry, I'm not going to play the sympathy violin for Johns, and I'm certainly not saluting Saban for involuntarily having his player taken from the team (and free society as a whole), making that the 10th arrest under his watch this year, and I don't know the exact number, but probably around the 15th in the last year and a half since he first took the helm.

Example:

The Crimson Tide were already without linebacker Prince Hall this spring after Hall was suspended by Saban for disciplinary reasons. Saban said recently, however, that the door was open for Hall to rejoin the team if he met all of the coach's expectations.

What a true American hero!

I'm sorry Jimmy Johns has thrown away the opportunities the University of Alabama offered him. His family has to be devastated.

Chad, this honestly wasn't a shock. Maybe the fact that it was blow...and that he was dealing. But I would have been shocked if he didn't get into drug related trouble at some point before his career was over. That's all I'm gonna say.

I don't think Chiz was saying anything derogatory, just stating that there's no way Johns could play if he is behind bars. Obviously, any referrence to only missing a couple of games was in jest. There is no way to get around kicking JJ off the team. It is refreshing that CNS managed to take this action without calling the chief of police into his office.

Just posting news as it came available, like I did by starting this thread. Back off Chad, nobody's trying to give Saban 5 mill for this.

Archived