Jim Webb Says He Will Not Be Obama's VP Candidate

Tigermike

Jim Webb announced today that he does not want to be Barack Obama’s running mate in the 2008 election. In a statement released by his office, Webb said he told Obama last week not to select him as he wants to remain in the Senate for longer than a third of a single term:

Senator Jim Webb Says He Will Not Be A VP Candidate

Posted: 2:38 PM Jul 7, 2008

Last Updated: 4:15 PM Jul 7, 2008

Senator Jim Webb has taken himself out of the running for the Democratic Vice Presidential candidacy.

In a press release issued Monday, Webb said that he expressed to Senator Obama and Obama's presidential campaign his intent to stay in the U.S. Senate.

Webb has represented Virginia in the U.S. Senate as a Democrat for one-and-a-half years.

Webb said, "Last week I communicated to Senator Obama and his presidential campaign my firm intention to remain in the United States Senate, where I believe I am best equipped to serve the people of Virginia and this country. Under no circumstances will I be a candidate for Vice President."

Webb also remarked that, "I entered elective politics because of my commitment to strengthen America's national security posture, to promote economic fairness, and to increase government accountability. I have worked hard to deliver upon that commitment, and I am convinced that my efforts and talents toward those ends are best served in the Senate."

Governor Tim Kaine released the following statement on Senator Jim Webb's decision to remove himself from consideration for Vice President, saying "While I believe that Senator Jim Webb would have made a great Vice President, it is good news for Virginia that he will continue to represent the Commonwealth in the U.S. Senate. In a very short period of time, Jim has made us proud to call him our Senator."

Senator Webb is still a strong supporter of Obama, however. He said that he will renew his commitment to work hard to make sure Obama wins Virginia and the Presidency. Webb also said he would continue to campaign for the presumptive Democratic nominee.

http://www.charlottesvillenewsplex.tv/home...s/24035499.html

The only thing this changes is the speculation before the convention. I really doubt that Obama was likely to choose Webb. Webb has even less experience in national office than Obama, and only slightly more executive experience. Webb could have helped carry Virginia, which would have really hurt the GOP. Webb might have given Obama a little more credibility with gun owners, but he can do both as a surrogate just as well, while Obama finds a running mate that addresses his serious inadequacies as a presidential candidate.

Archived