Favre leaves Lambeau before Practice

BZ770

I thought that they had reached a compromise, but it looks to be over. Hate it is ending this way. Maybe he still has a little left in the tank, but it will be for another team. I have always been a fan of his, I first saw him play in 1990 at the All American Bowl in Bham. Southern Miss v NC State.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/foot...ex.html?cnn=yes

i am so freaking ready for this Favre drama to be over with. its like dumping your girlfriend, then a few months later deciding you shouldn't have left her and then stomping your feet and going nuts when she won't come running back to you. he made a decision, and i'm sure they sat him down when he decided that and said "look, are you POSITIVE you want this?". he wants to have his starting position handed back to him, and apparently a ticker tape parade to welcome him back. since its not happening, he's going to throw a temper tantrum and cause a distraction for the whole team. way to support your team! :thumbsup:

i am so freaking ready for this Favre drama to be over with. its like dumping your girlfriend, then a few months later deciding you shouldn't have left her and then stomping your feet and going nuts when she won't come running back to you. he made a decision, and i'm sure they sat him down when he decided that and said "look, are you POSITIVE you want this?". he wants to have his starting position handed back to him, and apparently a ticker tape parade to welcome him back. since its not happening, he's going to throw a temper tantrum and cause a distraction for the whole team. way to support your team! :thumbsup:

It's not about the team.

I think the issue now is that Favre was under the impression that the starting QB role was going to be open. When he was reinstated, they changed their minds.

I don't blame Favre for not wanting to settle on being a backup. He is better than Aaron Rogers right now. He will be better than Aaron Rogers in January. The situation sucks, but logically, you want to win as soon as possible. That only happens if Favre is their QB. Maybe Aaron Rogers has shown signs of greatness in practice, I don't know. But I do know that a healthy Brett Favre will pass for 4,000 yards. An unproven QB might make you miss the playoffs.

You take Favre back with open arms.

... You take Favre back with open arms.

After a 17-year career, yes you take him back -- as a mentor to Aaron Rodgers and as an insurance policy backup. Starting QB? No way. Pinning hopes on past glory to get through a full NFL season is not smart and can only end badly for him if when he gets injured. Then the Packers are worse off in terms of ever developing a replacement for Favre. Favre's greatest value is his experience and being able to pass that accumulated experience on to a protege. I can absolutely see Green Bay's side in this too.

... You take Favre back with open arms.

After a 17-year career, yes you take him back -- as a mentor to Aaron Rodgers and as an insurance policy backup. Starting QB? No way. Pinning hopes on past glory to get through a full NFL season is not smart and can only end badly for him if when he gets injured. Then the Packers are worse off in terms of ever developing a replacement for Favre. Favre's greatest value is his experience and being able to pass that accumulated experience on to a protege. I can absolutely see Green Bay's side in this too.

How many games has he not started in his career? ZERO.

I'm gonna laugh my a** off when Green Bay and Rogers fall flat on their a**es.

The freakin' drama needs to be over. I was always okay with Favre. Not a huge fan or Packer hater either way. But, this is 3 off-seasons in a row he's pulled this crap. No, he didn't retire before but he sure kept everyone in suspense the entire two prior off-seasons. When is Brett going to decide? I'll give you my decision on June 15th. No, I need more time, I just don't know. I'll tell you a week before training camp.

Now, you can't turn on the TV without the same obligatory Brett Favre daily updates that DOMINATE every sports show. "Brett Favre dropped a growler after breakfast this morning and it was green. He immediately called the Packers front office to advise this is a sign and he may be back...or not." I've seen the same hilight reel of the same 6 passes 4000 times in the last two weeks.

So, he plays one more season....what happens after that? Will he...or won't he?

The Packers have to think about this long-term as well...Aaron Rodgers' contract will be up at the end of this year.

He was drafted to be Favre's successor. If the Packers had welcomed Favre back and said "you're the man", then they've essentially told Rodgers "thanks for caddying, hope it works out elsewhere." There would be almost no way in hell Rodgers re-ups with Green Bay and if Favre decides to take his ball and go home...again...then the Packers are staring at being completely empty at the most important position on the field.

I keep thinking about the movie "Cast Away", except on a smaller time line...when Favre retired and cried at the press conference, the Packers had no choice but to move ahead. In football terms, he was essentially the equivalent of dead...now he's un-retired and he has put the Packers in one hell of a bad spot.

Neither side is completely blameless, but I put more of it on Favre, and I hate to say that because I've always respected the guy's approach to the game...but he needs to either s*** or get off the pot.

Favre is a douche for pulling this crap every year and even in a worse manner this year.

However, the packers have handled it horribly. If the niners traded joe montana then I'd say it's fair that the packers can trade favre and should have immediately upon his urge to come out of "retirement". They seem to have some horrible fear of him playing for a rival. Get over it. Give him a shot or trade him. It has been that simple from the start.

I am loving this. I always hated Favre and couldn't be happier about how this is turning out.

That's right, I hate Favre - you got a problem with that?!? ;)

It's not about the team.

I think the issue now is that Favre was under the impression that the starting QB role was going to be open. When he was reinstated, they changed their minds.

I don't blame Favre for not wanting to settle on being a backup. He is better than Aaron Rogers right now. He will be better than Aaron Rogers in January. The situation sucks, but logically, you want to win as soon as possible. That only happens if Favre is their QB. Maybe Aaron Rogers has shown signs of greatness in practice, I don't know. But I do know that a healthy Brett Favre will pass for 4,000 yards. An unproven QB might make you miss the playoffs.

You take Favre back with open arms.

Not true. The coach said early on that he had his starting QB and if Favre came back he wouldn't be it.

I like Favre but I think he is blowing it all now. He has retired twice now, the last time in tears. Pro FB is big business. How many sports businesses do you know that will take you back after you have retired twice..

In 1990 I sat in the East stands on a hot Nov. afternoon, staring into the sun and watched him bring So Miss back and beat us 13-12.

Green Bay has a business to run and at some point GB has to stop the loyalty and move on. Yes their season may be worse without him, but they can't move on if they let him back in. He's been one of the best, but he ain't good enough to win it all anymore. He needs to retire gracefully.....oh wait .....he already did that.......Has Bret been in the spotlight too long?

Archived