"This community needs to get behind

kingfish

Tennessee Coach Pat Summitt had the following to say about our Lady Tigers:

"It's about time these Auburn fans got to the gym to watch their women play basketball," Tennessee coach Pat Summitt said. "This community needs to get behind their team -- not just when they're winning, but every time they play. They have a special team."

There was a constant flow of electricity throughout the crowd, and our Lady Tigers feeding off of it performed at an unbelievable level. I wish those of you who weren't there could have been, but wait there were no more seats.

Try to attend one of these games this year ... you will not be sorry.

Yeah, but she's right. This team deserves it. Now, they are getting it. WAR EAGLE!

As an un-apolgetic fair-weather fan of women's basketball, I can't help but bristle up a bit about Pat Summitt telling Auburn people what to do.

As proven yesterday:

1. If the product is good, people will come. Auburn people are willing to drive 2 hours to watch a team REALLY compete and have some success. Men's or women's.

2. Our women's team is da bomb. If only Fortner could coach the men's team....

So, if 1 is true, and 2 is true then ABSOLUTELY, these girls have earned your respect. They deserve for fans to throw their respective $5/ticket toward a winning program.

With a 6 month old at home, I've missed my share of men's games this year (where normally I'd be there for EVERY game). I made a special effort to make it out to the game yesterday, and it won't be my last. They might even pull me in OVER the men's team now.

I agree on Summit and her remark. Pat Summit at her errrr best ;)

As an un-apolgetic fair-weather fan of women's basketball, I can't help but bristle up a bit about Pat Summitt telling Auburn people what to do.

As proven yesterday:

1. If the product is good, people will come. Auburn people are willing to drive 2 hours to watch a team REALLY compete and have some success. Men's or women's.

2. Our women's team is da bomb. If only Fortner could coach the men's team....

So, if 1 is true, and 2 is true then ABSOLUTELY, these girls have earned your respect. They deserve for fans to throw their respective $5/ticket toward a winning program.

With a 6 month old at home, I've missed my share of men's games this year (where normally I'd be there for EVERY game). I made a special effort to make it out to the game yesterday, and it won't be my last. They might even pull me in OVER the men's team now.

I honestly fully agree with this, I'm not really into basketball, it's just not a sport I've ever been interested in. Call me a fair weather fan when it comes to Basketball if you wish, but I'm not going to apologize for not being interested in something.

AURainman is stating what I've always said, but I'll say it again:

Beard Eaves didn't need a new Arena in order for the teams to win. A team can win regardless of where they play. Sure, it may help recruiting, but I think that's a bunch of hoop-lah for the most part.

Beard Eaves is not the reason the fans haven't shown up in the past.

If you win, the fans will come. The game could've been played outside in the cold and fans would've showed up because they are a winning team.

Beard Eaves didn't need a new Arena in order for the teams to win. A team can win regardless of where they play. Sure, it may help recruiting, but I think that's a bunch of hoop-lah for the most part.

If you win, the fans will come. The game could've been played outside in the cold and fans would've showed up because they are a winning team.

Beard-Eaves is a dark, drafty, leaky, out of date facility and has been that way for a while now. This is a huge disadvantage in recruiting. Even worse, Beard-Eaves doesn't have a practice facility attached like the new Auburn Arena does. Players notice these things, you know.

If you don't recruit well, chances are you won't be much better than mediocre. Beard- Eaves has played a big part in our basketball mediocrity (men and women's) over the last 20 years, more than most people realize or want to admit.

Even though you used me to support your argument, I disagree with you. We NEED the new arena to compete in basketball year-in-year out. The new arena isn't about fan support. It's about much more.

I agree with Coach Summit. I think her remark was complimentary. She said "they have a special team." What's wrong with that?She is a great coach and no one can refute that. I wish she was coaching our men's team.

I agree a new arena is going to be nice and helpful. But coach Fortner has proven that it doesn't mean nearly as much as you guys think it does. She has recruited and coached better than any coach out there this year and has done it with Beard Eaves.

And if our mens team had the ability to make FT's, perhaps Lebo would've proven that as well.

I agree with Coach Summit. I think her remark was complimentary. She said "they have a special team."

I took Summit's remarks as complimentary also, otherwise I would not have posted same.

They have a special team.
I also appreciated the compliment.

But, this part could've been left unsaid.

"It's about time these Auburn fans got to the gym to watch their women play basketball,"

I just don't care for rival coaches telling us what we should do, especially when it's something we obviously know needs improvement.

It would be no different than coach satan saying, "I noticed a lot of empty seats in Jordan-Hare last Saturday... those Auburn fans need to get out and support their team more".

"It's about time these Auburn fans got to the gym to watch their women play basketball,"

I just don't care for rival coaches telling us what we should do, especially when it's something we obviously know needs improvement.

It would be no different than coach satan saying, "I noticed a lot of empty seats in Jordan-Hare last Saturday... those Auburn fans need to get out and support their team more".

it wasn't said in the condescending manner in which saban says everything. She meant that she loved the atmosphere and they get it every night in knoxville and our team deserves it every night out in auburn. she wasn't "telling us what to do" but merely suggesting that these ladies deserve a crowd llike that night in and night out. Pat Summitt is a classy lady and not someone like ....Houston Nutt that never gives the other team credit it was always his team gave it away.

it wasn't said in the condescending manner in which saban says everything. She meant that she loved the atmosphere and they get it every night in knoxville and our team deserves it every night out in auburn. she wasn't "telling us what to do" but merely suggesting that these ladies deserve a crowd llike that night in and night out. Pat Summitt is a classy lady and not someone like ....Houston Nutt that never gives the other team credit it was always his team gave it away.

Okay I'll call off the hit man. :shoot: It's probably one of those quotes that if you heard it said, instead of seen it in print, the intention would be more clear.

Arrogant move on her part to diss the Auburn "community" vs. just basketball fans for not showing up as much as I guess Vols did for her perennial champions.

Archived