In or Out

Justin5

Do we get in?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. In or Out?

• In
    • Out

I'm definitely thinking we are out, but a UT win today at least gives us a chance. I'll say out though.

Same here...I think we're getting caught in a little bit of a numbers game ("not enough rooms at the inn", so to speak) and, to be balanced, our non-conference resume is very poor. One hell of a run at the end, but I think we're outside looking in.

I say in. At the end of the day, 11 conference wins and 9 of our last 11 will be too much to ignore.

Jerry Palm, the "expert" of bracketology, is pretty brutal on the SEC in his final release.

The only teams he has dancing are LSU and Tennessee and both are 8 seeds -- meaning that even if they win the 8-9 matchup, a #1 seed is waiting in the next round.

UT is a lot better team then people are giving them credit for...can't believe what I saw when looking at their SOS/Quality wins...3rd ranked strength of schedule and 11 quality wins? Guys we actually played a good game yesterday, and they shot I believe 57% from the floor? Whoever has to play UT in the NCAAT I'm pretty sure it's going to be a one and done for them, I wouldn't be surprised to see UT as a final four team.

I think too many people who voted yes are thinking with their heart and not their head. I want auburn in just as much as everyone else here but the main problem isnt our resume, its all the bid stealing thats been going on in these conference tournaments. Most outlets have around 7-13 "bubble teams" fighting for 3 spots and that could be reduced to 2 spots if Miss State wins today. In a typical year where teams are winning these conf tournies who would get in anyway, Auburn would get in but this year there are more than likely not gonna be enough chairs left when the music stops.

But if you want to evaluate our resume I just feel along with others our Non-Conference schedule is what will seperate us from other teams in a negative way. We made a schedule built to get this team to the NIT, not the NCAA Tournament and unfortunetly we may get what we built for.

But if you want to evaluate our resume I just feel along with others our Non-Conference schedule is what will seperate us from other teams in a negative way. We made a schedule built to get this team to the NIT, not the NCAA Tournament and unfortunetly we may get what we built for.

Jimmy Dykes alluded to this yesterday during our game...he mentioned that many SEC teams were young this year (we were not one of them, fwiw) and scheduled in the non-conference accordingly, which is part of the reason our conference RPI is so low.

Two things stand out:

1. The league losing too many of those "gimme" games to teams we shouldn't have lost to.

* Kentucky losing to VMI (RPI 128)

* Alabama and Auburn both losing to Mercer (RPI 181)

* Ole Miss losing to Southern Miss (RPI 167)

* South Carolina losing to College of Charleston (RPI 103)

* Arkansas losing to Missouri State (RPI 211)

* Vanderbilt losing to Illinois-Chicago (RPI 167)

* Mississippi State losing to Charlotte (RPI 209) and San Diego (RPI 194).

2. Overall lack of results against quality non-conference opposition... As a league, we have a combined total of 8 wins against decent major/"mid-major" conference teams that will make the NCAA field...and our worst team, Arkansas had two of them (Oklahoma, Texas).

To make an analogy, it's kind of like a kid that makes his bed and the room looks nice and neat, but there's some stuff sticking out from under the bed and when you look, there's all sorts of crap shoved underneath it.

I voted 'in' assuming/hoping they won't leave one the hottest teams in a BCS conference out, and won't leave the SEC with only 2 or 3 teams. It is not in the NCAA's interest to leave one of their biggest money-maker conferences so short; and a year with only 2 tournament teams could have an impact on all of the SEC team's recruiting and long term success. I don't have stats in front of me but I am sure the NCAA tournament viewership is much higher when the SEC has 4-6 teams in a year.

True...and this discussion just became moot.

I'm going to say we still get in. They end up taking 4 SEC teams...LSU, UT, Auburn and MSU. I certainly think we deserve it. Hell, we split with UT and swept MSU (stomping them both times).

I'm going to say we still get in. They end up taking 4 SEC teams...LSU, UT, Auburn and MSU. I certainly think we deserve it. Hell, we split with UT and swept MSU (stomping them both times).

If they take 4 teams,the fourth team SHOULD be Auburn. But I'm willing to bet it won't be - even if we deserve it. I still think they'll come up with some way to get Kentucky in there. Even though that makes absolutely NO sense.

Do they tell us who got in on ESPN at 6:00? Women, too?

We have a patsy for SEC Commissioner and the SEC only gets three in.......MSU, Tenn. and LSU. Hope I'm wrong but I haven't seen any evidence of lobbying the SEC cause by Mike Slive. The SEC is too interested in the FB dollars to risk POing anybody over basketball.

My vote for Auburn making it was contingent on a UT win today. Less than 25% chance of us making it now, and that's only if Slive campaigns hard and the selection committee decides they like our conference record and last 12.

If they take 4 teams,the fourth team SHOULD be Auburn. But I'm willing to bet it won't be - even if we deserve it. I still think they'll come up with some way to get Kentucky in there. Even though that makes absolutely NO sense.

Do they tell us who got in on ESPN at 6:00? Women, too?

selection show on CBS at 5:00 central...and I think on ESPN same time. Women's bracket is announced tomorrow night at 6:00 I believe on ESPN..

Now that Miss St has won the SECC it may be hard if not impossible for AU to get in. It's a shame because they could beat quite a few teams that will make it.

Oh well start wining earlier next year and play a few more teams to help out the RPI.

i don't like our chances... had Tennessee won, maybe, but now, I believe a 4th SEC team will be USC, not us. that's a shame.

if I could think of a plausible argument for putting us ahead of USC, then maybe, but I can't. Well, they finished 5-5, we finished 10-2 or something like that... similar conference records...but USC has the head-to-head.

I voted out but I would be bouncing off the walls if Auburn got in. I don't understand why St. Marys is even on the bubble, their sos is in the 160s and Maryland finished below .500 but they are in the ACC where even GaTech deserves because it is THE ACC. Dicky V was hammering Auburn's ooc and he has a point, beef it up Lebo.

Archived