Auburn Women draw a 2 seed

WarTiger

They are a #2, but they play in New Jersey. They will probably have to face Rutgers. Then if they get past Rutgers they will most likely see Oklahoma in Oklahoma City. They did not get a very favorable draw.

It is a crappy draw while three of the 1 seeds are playing in their backyards so to speak. Nice to see the SEC get 7 teams, I doubt Mike Slive had any hand in that. I just don't think it is right to basically say to Auburn that you are going to have to play teams on their home court.

The #1 seeds usually end up near their own backyard. It's not uncommon.

They have ONE game "on the road." Big deal. I'd rather see Auburn play OU than UConn or Duke. I personally would rather have had them in the Maryland / Raleigh bracket, but so what.

Get this through your minds - it's all about ticket sales. For the first round: UConn is in Storrs, Connecticut. Maryland is in College Park, Maryland. Not to mention Maryland is not far from Raleigh, NC; nor is UConn to Trenton, NJ. Then the committee saw a choice between Oklahoma, Duke, and Auburn. They saw one location in Oklahoma City - bam, pick Oklahoma. Makes the most sales. For the 1 seed they had to choose between Duke and Auburn and I guess they went with Duke (I disagree, but that's just me). Seeing that Duke didn't win their tournament and had a worse record, it must have been a popularity contest.

Personally I would've sent Duke as the #2 seed in the Maryland bracket, but that would have ACC matchups and Auburn as the #1 seed in California. That really would be the only possibility. But then you guys would complain about having to face Stanford in California and that it wouldn't be fair.

And for the #2 seeds - you got Baylor in Texas for the first 2 rounds and Stanford in California for all four rounds, so those two spots were basically locks. So you had your choice of #2 seed in Indiana or Washington for the first round. Seeing that the Indiana one is the UConn bracket, I'm much happier going to Washington for two rounds to eventually face Oklahoma, even if it is in Oklahoma City.

At least our women are in the tournament. Let's see how they do. It'd be sweet if they got to the Final Four.

And btw, the bracket I saw says they play in Washington, not NJ.

Just looking at where some teams were placed, there were some matchups set where the lower seed could potentially play a home game in round 2.

* #1 seed Duke could play #9 Michigan State in East Lansing.

* #1 seed Oklahoma could play #8 Iowa in Iowa City

* #2 seed Auburn could potentially play #7 seed Rutgers in Piscataway.

* #2 seed Texas A&M could play #7 seed Notre Dame in South Bend

* #3 seed Louisville could play #6 seed LSU in Baton Rouge

I know the women's game is still not to the point of being as popular as the men's game (but it has come a loooooong way from what it was) and still needs some local rooting interest to generate ticket sales, but there seems to be an imbalance.

Bottom line, though, is that if you're good enough, you'll win regardless of location.

I don't think it is about playing a "lower seeded" team in the second round near their location. I believe they just attempted to put as many teams near their respective locations as possible.

Good one RIR!!!!! Absolutely AUsome.

The ladies get punked just like the men this season. If we were UT, we would be a #1 Seed and hosting in ATL. Instead, we are the #2 Seed in a Region that allows the #7 Seed a chance to host the first and second round. Typical.

PCChamp.....please, for your love of Bammer.....

Archived