Northern Iowa not looking like that bad a loss

TitanTiger

I was waiting for somebody to start this thread.

So I guess the loss is more acceptable? That it's OK for Auburn to lose to Mid-Major Conference Champions as long as that team loses in an acceptable fashion. I'll remember that next year when Auburn loses to Mercer or someone alike and I'll state that it's acceptable at the end of the season IF that team makes the NCAA tourny and doesn't get blown out.

BTW, Northern Iowa was down by a good 10-12 points for about 50% of the game. It wasn't THAT close. They had a small run at the game to close it to 4 points and that was it.

Any team that "deserves" an at-large bid in the NCAA tourny does NOT... I repeat does not... lose games to mid-major teams.

Jeff Lebo should have Auburn at the point where we only lose to the better half of teams in the better conferences. If Auburn's football team loses to Southern Miss some year, but USM makes a bowl game and stays close against the likes of an Alabama, it'll all be good, right?

BTW, Purdue, whom I really like, won their conference tournament. So did Mississippi State and Georgia last year. Purdue is not the best team in the Big 10. That would be Michigan State.

I was waiting for somebody to start this thread.

So I guess the loss is more acceptable? That it's OK for Auburn to lose to Mid-Major Conference Champions as long as that team loses in an acceptable fashion.

Had I been making this argument, your post would be a fantastic rebuttal. Since I wasn't, it was about as effective as a fart in a hurricane.

BTW, Northern Iowa was down by a good 10-12 points for about 50% of the game. It wasn't THAT close. They had a small run at the game to close it to 4 points and that was it.

They got down early, but once they settled down, they chipped away at the lead and had a chance of winning it. With over 12 minutes left, it was a 6-point game. And they actually pulled to within two with 17 seconds to go.

Any team that "deserves" an at-large bid in the NCAA tourny does NOT... I repeat does not... lose games to mid-major teams.

Wrong. This isn't football. There are many good basketball teams in mid-major conferences.

BTW, Purdue, whom I really like, won their conference tournament. So did Mississippi State and Georgia last year. Purdue is not the best team in the Big 10. That would be Michigan State.

Which I said. Read more carefully.

Correction, I meant teams in the big six power conferences that are at-large teams don't lose to mid-major teams. I'd be curious to see how many at-large teams from the big six lost to mid-major teams.

And BTW, the thread of the title was "isn't that bad of a loss." I don't see how that is much different from saying the loss was acceptable.

And I'm still pissed we lost to Mercer.

Guess Syracuse, Boston College and Maryland should pack their things and go home, then...the Orange lost to Cleveland State, BC lost to Harvard and Maryland lost to Morgan State earlier this season.

Yes, I'm fully aware that those teams had better seasons than we did, but your assertion as stated is just incorrect. Upsets happen...teams play bad games...we just didn't have any good non-conference wins to offset the multiple games (and one bed-crapper) we lost in November.

Guess Syracuse, Boston College and Maryland should pack their things and go home, then...the Orange lost to Cleveland State, BC lost to Harvard and Maryland lost to Morgan State earlier this season.

Yes, I'm fully aware that those teams had better seasons than we did, but your assertion as stated is just incorrect. Upsets happen...teams play bad games...we just didn't have any good non-conference wins to offset the multiple games (and one bed-crapper) we lost in November.

You didn't get the memo did you? You are never ever supposed to refute PC's gospel with facts or the truth.

Correction, I meant teams in the big six power conferences that are at-large teams don't lose to mid-major teams. I'd be curious to see how many at-large teams from the big six lost to mid-major teams.

Well, I hardly have the time to search that out, but I happened to be looking at Davidson today, marveling that they didn't make the NCAAs. They beat West Virginia, North Carolina St. and South Carolina. They lost by 4 to Oklahoma.

Dayton beat Temple and Auburn. They also beat a Xavier team that was in the Top 10-15 all year.

St. Mary's beat Providence, Oregon and just beat Washington State in the NIT.

Gonzaga beat Tennessee, Maryland, Oklahoma State, Indiana and Washington State.

The six power conferences do not have the vise grip on basketball that they do on football, thus you have a lot of very good mid major teams that would never compete in the same way in football.

I realize not all of those are at large teams and I don't have the time to track down every instance of it. But some of them are and the point is, so-called mid major teams in basketball can be very good. The advantage a traditional power conference has in football in terms of massive size disparities and superior talented depth when you have to field 22 positions in a game is just not there when you're entire team is about 15 players and you only play 5 at a time.

And BTW, the thread of the title was "isn't that bad of a loss." I don't see how that is much different from saying the loss was acceptable.

Only in your head. If I'd meant "I'm ok with that loss," I would have said that. Saying that it's "not that bad" means that in light of the fact that they won their conference tournament and just took a better team than us to the wire, the loss isn't that bad in hindsight. I don't know how it could be any clearer.

And I'm still pissed we lost to Mercer.

Then start your own thread about Mercer.

Nice post. That is actually what I was looking for. I appreciate the stats.

So yes - some upsets do appear. I agree Titan, basketball isn't football when it comes to upsets. But in my opinion, Auburn should be at the point where it shouldn't lose these games. Or should at the minimum lose but one, maybe two. Auburn lost 4 of them. 3 of them were against NCAA teams and 1 not. It did not defeat one NCAA or NIT team. I think Auburn should be a better program than that.

So yes - some upsets do appear. I agree Titan, basketball isn't football when it comes to upsets. But in my opinion, Auburn should be at the point where it shouldn't lose these games. Or should at the minimum lose but one, maybe two. Auburn lost 4 of them. 3 of them were against NCAA teams and 1 not. It did not defeat one NCAA or NIT team. I think Auburn should be a better program than that.

We didn't? Did they scratch Florida, LSU, Mississippi State, Alabama State and Tennessee from their respective NCAA and NIT bids?

We didn't? Did they scratch Florida, LSU, Mississippi State, Alabama State and Tennessee from their respective NCAA and NIT bids?

I was referring to out-of-conference and mid-major games. I missed Alabama State, so I will give you that. But they weren't even in the field of 64.

And we didn't scratch those teams from the NCAA / NIT, so I'm not sure what you are asking.

My point is, if we had an exact same schedule next year (out-of-conference that is), I would expect Auburn to lose but maybe 1 game. Maybe two. This program should be at the point where it can expect to win games other than going up against the UNCs of the world. They should be in the NCAA tournament. Getting to the NCAA tourny shouldn't be much more difficult than a bowl game. Well isn't that statement ironic.

I was referring to out-of-conference and mid-major games. I missed Alabama State, so I will give you that. But they weren't even in the field of 64.

And we didn't scratch those teams from the NCAA / NIT, so I'm not sure what you are asking.

I got that from your remark that we didn't defeat one NCAA or NIT team. Being that I swore I saw at least a couple of them play the last two days, I wondered if they'd retroactively been expunged from the field. Point is, we've won seven games against teams in the NCAA or NIT field (six of those in the NCAA field).

Look, I think Auburn is on it's way to not losing those kinds of games (though I still don't think it's exactly something to be embarrassed over). In fact, I think had we encountered those teams toward the end of the season when we were playing so well, we might not have lost any of them. It just took us a while to get going, but I'm encouraged by the way we finished the year.

When I was at Auburn, we lost to Southern Miss in football. I was livid, I wanted everyones head.

Then it turns out that So. Miss was QBd by a kid named Favre, and had a slick WR named Michael Jackson.

So, in hindsight, losing to So Miss that year wasnt the abomination I thought it was.

That's my story.

PC, just shut up. I usually don't get into it with you and let the others handle that. You may have gotten your degree at AU, but when it comes to AU athletics, you are about as much of a supporter as Bamagrad is of AU athletics. At least we know where Bamagrad stands and expects him to take any chance he can to talk crap about Auburn. What is your excuse?

You are one of those people that keeps pissing everybody off, but denies that you are the problem, but instead you think everybody else is the problem. I am tired of trying to play nice with you. You are a tool. You are an arrogant prick and you need to quit pretending like you give a crap about AU athletics.

PC, just shut up. I usually don't get into it with you and let the others handle that. You may have gotten your degree at AU, but when it comes to AU athletics, you are about as much of a supporter as Bamagrad is of AU athletics. At least we know where Bamagrad stands and expects him to take any chance he can to talk crap about Auburn. What is your excuse?

You are one of those people that keeps pissing everybody off, but denies that you are the problem, but instead you think everybody else is the problem. I am tired of trying to play nice with you. You are a tool. You are an arrogant prick and you need to quit pretending like you give a crap about AU athletics.

He simply is a miserable soul. He may not know it yet, but it is very deep rooted. I do not block his posts, because reading each thread is like watching a train wreck. It is the same ole stuff everytime. Negative Nelly, whatever you want to call it. I can assure you no one at his office ever invites him to lunch a second time. And if he ever marries, I suggest no keeping guns in the house. Bitch may kill him one day!

He simply is a miserable soul. He may not know it yet, but it is very deep rooted. I do not block his posts, because reading each thread is like watching a train wreck. It is the same ole stuff everytime. Negative Nelly, whatever you want to call it. I can assure you no one at his office ever invites him to lunch a second time. And if he ever marries, I suggest no keeping guns in the house. Bitch may kill him one day!

Yeah, it's almost comical reading some of his posts. I now have him blocked but I still see his quotes in other people's posts.

To approach everything with that much negativity, it amazes me that he hasn't jumped off a building yet.

my favorite 9 words on this website...."You have chosen to ignore all posts from: PChamp119. "

ditto

Archived