Is Darvin Adams Auburn's Julio Jones

Auburncheese

So now, the merits of a player are ONLY to be derived from stats without any exterior consideration.

You guys would HONESTLY take Darius Hanks over Julio Jones?

No, because I know that Julio's capable of more because of last season. He really should have gone somewhere that would really utilize his talent better though. But THIS year, Darvin's out playing him. So is Zachery. And that really isn't up for debate. No matter how much more talented Julio is, Auburn top 2 WRs are outplaying him. Period.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He really should have gone somewhere that would really utilize his talent better though

You're right. After one season he was recognized as an All SEC WR, an All-American, had nearly 1000 yards (as a Freshman), and was on a team that was 10 mins away from playing for the national championship.

At the end of the season, many pundits said he would be a top 10 draft pick if he were allowed to go after 1 season.

Boy, he sure made a bad decision.

He really should have gone somewhere that would really utilize his talent better though

You're right. After one season he was recognized as an All SEC WR, an All-American, had nearly 1000 yards (as a Freshman), and was on a team that was 10 mins away from playing for the national championship.

At the end of the season, many pundits said he would be a top 10 draft pick if he were allowed to go after 1 season.

Boy, he sure made a bad decision.

And this season, even if you just count the VT and Arky games, he's averaging about 50 something yds a game with one TD. And that's on an offense that is very productive. If those numbers continue for this season and he doesn't have a bounce back season next, you'll see that stock fall a little.

I contend that if he were at school that threw it more and had other WRs that could provide a serious threat opposite him to cut down on double teams, he'd have crazy stats.

I contend that if he were at school that threw it more and had other WRs that could provide a serious threat opposite him to cut down on double teams, he'd have crazy stats.

GMac had 293 yards and 3 TDs yesterday. He threw to 9 different receivers, 11 different ones last week.

I contend, BECAUSE of the emergence of guys like Hanks and Maze, you'll see Julio getting fewer and fewer double teams. Like I said before, we've basically got 6 guys with at least 100 yards this year.

Also, most teams that fling it around for 500 yards a game don't play for championships of any kind. So he may only get 80 yards per game, but he'll be doing so on national TV every week on a winning team.

He only caught 2 balls yesterday, but his skill was undeniable. On the trick play, he tossed the db aside as if he were an 8 year old. On his second catch, he juked a guy and tossed him aside. It then took 10 guys to tackle him.

I think Julio will be just fine. Even if his stats are muted because we run the ball, or because we spread it around, he's gonna be on a big stage.

GMac had 293 yards and 3 TDs yesterday. He threw to 9 different receivers, 11 different ones last week.

I contend, BECAUSE of the emergence of guys like Hanks and Maze, you'll see Julio getting fewer and fewer double teams. Like I said before, we've basically got 6 guys with at least 100 yards this year.

If they continue to step up, that may happen. But these guys aren't scaring people right now.

Also, most teams that fling it around for 500 yards a game don't play for championships of any kind. So he may only get 80 yards per game, but he'll be doing so on national TV every week on a winning team.

Well, you're jumping to an opposite extreme that I wasn't arguing for. I'm just saying, you're a run first, ball control team. There are teams around the country not named Texas Tech that throw more and feature their WRs more without "flinging it around" all the time. I think his talents would be more exploited in such a system.

He only caught 2 balls yesterday, but his skill was undeniable. On the trick play, he tossed the db aside as if he were an 8 year old. On his second catch, he juked a guy and tossed him aside. It then took 10 guys to tackle him.

No one's questioning his talent. We're questioning his production.

I think Julio will be just fine. Even if his stats are muted because we run the ball, or because we spread it around, he's gonna be on a big stage.

That's fine. I think given his talent, the stage could be bigger and the spotlight brighter. To each his own.

Alabama ran the ball last year didn't they???And His stats were great, This year not so much.

If they continue to step up, that may happen. But these guys aren't scaring people right now.

I think you're wrong about that. Maze is averaging 24 yards per catch and is one of the fastest guys in the league. Besides that, it's not 2008 where our QB would lock on Julio and it'd be either Jones or nothing.

Julio's numbers will be lower this year. Partly because he missed 2 games, partly because his QB distributes the ball around a little better. But spreading it around will take some of the heat off of Jones.

That's fine. I think given his talent, the stage could be bigger and the spotlight brighter. To each his own.

Interesting comment considering the fact that last year he played in the SEC championship game and a BCS bowl, and this year he's playing on arguably the best team in the nation.

Where's the spotlight brighter?

So now, the merits of a player are ONLY to be derived from stats without any exterior consideration.

BG claimed last year he was all american B/C of his stats right?????? Now this year!!! You want us to throw out his stats and claim stats don't matter but he is still an all american and the best WR in football. WTF BG03

Don't drink Crimson Kool Aid kids!!!! It will make you stupid ! See what it did to BG03

BG claimed last year he was all american B/C of his stats right?????? Now this year!!! You want us to throw out his stats and claim stats don't matter but he is still an all american and the best WR in football. WTF BG03

Don't drink Crimson Kool Aid kids!!!! It will make you stupid ! See what it did to BG03

No, he was All American because he was one of the best WRs in the nation.

Why has nobody answered my question about whether or not you think Hanks is better than Jones?

I think you're wrong about that. Maze is averaging 24 yards per catch and is one of the fastest guys in the league. Besides that, it's not 2008 where our QB would lock on Julio and it'd be either Jones or nothing.

Julio's numbers will be lower this year. Partly because he missed 2 games, partly because his QB distributes the ball around a little better. But spreading it around will take some of the heat off of Jones.

They'll scare people if they can consistently do that, but right now, people are going to focus on Julio because he's the only one of that group with the talent to beat you himself if you let him.

Interesting comment considering the fact that last year he played in the SEC championship game and a BCS bowl, and this year he's playing on arguably the best team in the nation.

Where's the spotlight brighter?

Alabama is getting plenty of spotlight. Julio could be getting more personal spotlight elsewhere. And if his numbers stay down, that spotlight will only get dimmer for him.

Do you honestly think that he couldn't be going nuts and winning in a different system than the run-first, ball control situation at Bama? I contend that were he playing for Oklahoma, Florida, Texas or USC, he'd get just as much if not more team hype and better stats and personal hype to go with it.

[Why has nobody answered my question about whether or not you think Hanks is better than Jones?

Because you keep harping on an angle that no one is arguing. It's not that this or that receiver is better than Julio. We all know he's one of the most talented WRs in the nation. What he is not thus far this season is one of the more PRODUCTIVE ones. So while Hanks is not "better" or "more talented" than Jones, he is so far more productive. As are Darvin and Zachary.

Do you honestly think that he couldn't be going nuts and winning in a different system than the run-first, ball control situation at Bama?

Did he not have a near 1000 yard season last year?

Bottom line, as always you want to suggest the aberration is the norm when it's something bad at Bama. Let's toss out the 1000 yard season last year and focus on his stats this year. But let's ignore the fact that he's missed to games, and compare his stats to guys who've played in 4.

You're reaching in hopes that his stat line says something about him as a receiver.

I guess Terry Grant is a better RB than Michael Smith. After all, TG has better stats.

Because you keep harping on an angle that no one is arguing.

It has been argued in the other thread about Julio that he isn't the best WR on his team. Some went so far as to suggest that he was the 5th best.

Did he not have a near 1000 yard season last year?

Bottom line, as always you want to suggest the aberration is the norm when it's something bad at Bama. Let's toss out the 1000 yard season last year and focus on his stats this year. But let's ignore the fact that he's missed to games, and compare his stats to guys who've played in 4.

No, see that's why I showed things like yards per catch and yards per game. Those things hold up and are comparable even when people haven't played the same number of games. Because they are averages.

I still say if he were playing at Florida, Texas, Oklahoma or USC, the team spotlight would be every bit as bright, the individual spotlight would be even bigger as would his stats. Especially at OU or Texas.

You're reaching in hopes that his stat line says something about him as a receiver.

Right now it says he hasn't figured out how to deal with the added attention since his great freshman year. Call it the sophomore slump or whatever you want, but the numbers are what they are.

I guess Terry Grant is a better RB than Michael Smith. After all, TG has better stats.

As long as you talk to me about this, drop "better" because I'm talking about productivity. Everytime you do that, you tell me you either aren't paying attention or you just can't resist moving the goalposts to make your point look better.

It has been argued in the other thread about Julio that he isn't the best WR on his team. Some went so far as to suggest that he was the 5th best.

Mostly to get a rise out of you, which has worked perfectly. But I'm not saying that. I'm saying Julio isn't very productive this year. And he isn't. Last year is last year.

Right now it says he hasn't figured out how to deal with the added attention since his great freshman year

...or he's missed 2 games due to injury.

Or, since I'm talking about averages and not just raw numbers, he actually hasn't adjusted to the added attention.

Right now it says he hasn't figured out how to deal with the added attention since his great freshman year

Or, since I'm talking about averages and not just raw numbers, he actually hasn't adjusted to the added attention.

So he wasn't getting extra attention last year? Like when he had 124 yards against UF?

Do ANY college WRs have a ton of production against double teams?

Bottom line, I'm not really concerned. We're winning. The ball is being distributed. Everybody's happy.

"everyone is happy"...except little old bg. You can't be very happy that the BEST offense in America wears Orange and Blue. (And it ain't even Florida!) :moon::roflol:

"everyone is happy"...except little old bg. You can't be very happy that the BEST offense in America wears Orange and Blue. (And it ain't even Florida!) :moon::roflol:

I'm happy that my team didn't give up 30 to the worst football team in America.

How are you exactly backing this up??? last time i checked Texas A&M does not wear orange or blue..

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2009&rpt=IA_teamtotoff&site=org&div=IA&dest=O

We won!!! And our best WR managed two touchdowns and our second best WR did too!!!!!!

And you can argue all you want But facts are facts Julio Jones is rated the #284Th best WR in the country,

he has 7 receptions for 120 yards and 1 TD.Cry pi** moan do whatever you want Those are the facts.

Hes not #1 or #2 or #3 He is # 284 get over it.

And how does Ball State scoring 30 Pt's on Auburn make J.J the best WR in the Nation?

You argue like freaking woman BG if you cant get your way, You change the subject,

We won!!! And our best WR managed two touchdowns and our second best WR did too!!!!!!

And you can argue all you want But facts are facts Julio Jones is rated the #284Th best WR in the country,

he has 7 receptions for 120 yards and 1 TD.Cry pi** moan do whatever you want Those are the facts.

And how does Ball State scoring 30 Pt's on Auburn make J.J the best WR in the Nation?

You argue like freaking woman BG if you cant get your way, You change the subject,

Well, since you think they're better, how about putting money on who will be drafted higher.. Julio in a couple of years of any of your two best receivers whenever they graduate.. your odds are better than mine two to one but I am soooo willing to take that bet any day.. any time..

Well, since you think they're better, how about putting money on who will be drafted higher.. Julio in a couple of years of any of your two best receivers whenever they graduate.. your odds are better than mine two to one but I am soooo willing to take that bet any day.. any time..

Ah yes, another Bammer wanting to bet...I believe we've been down this path before...Bammers never pay up BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

Is this how all arguments end up with y'all...when all else fails, prpose a bet. I love it.

I will put money on it.

If J,J keeps playing like he has so far this year!!! :blink: Hell he wont even get drafted!!!! :roflol::roflol:

So he wasn't getting extra attention last year? Like when he had 124 yards against UF?

Not to the degree he is this year.

Yeah. Josh Reed. Calvin Johnson. AJ Greene. Elite receivers figure it out.

Bottom line, I'm not really concerned. We're winning. The ball is being distributed. Everybody's happy.

Well I'm glad you're happy, but your happiness isn't the subject of discussion.

BG said

AJ Green seems to be doing fine.

BG said

Bottom line, as always you want to suggest the aberration is the norm when it's something bad at Bama. Let's toss out the 1000 yard season last year and focus on his stats this year.

BG, this is only JJ's second season. 2008 is just as likely to be the aberration as 2009. No one will know which year is the aberration until the end of the 2010 season.

BG said

True, but you only lead them 20-14 at the half.

BG said he roots for a

team that was 10 mins away from playing for the national championship.

Before getting totally manhandled by Florida in one of the most dominating 4th quarter performances in the annals of football on any level. And then got run out of the stadium by Utah (UTAH!) in an embarrassing Sugar Bowl appearance.

None of this, by the way, has anything to do with the subject of this thread "Is Darvin Adams Auburn's Julio Jones?" The answer of course is no.

Archived