Saban Gets down to 85

Ravad

I think it's funny that you guys COMPLETELY discard (or dont even consider) the fact that Saban had already discussed the potential of a greyshirt with Harrison and his family.

As a matter of fact, I remember reading on the boards when the kid committed that he was a possible greyshirt.

How is that when the article says, " he got blindsided."?? That is how we "completely" discard it!!! I think it hilarious you don't understand that part of the article!!

BG and WC, blow your red smoke all you won't, but on according to this he had no idea he was going to have to greyshirt.

As a matter of fact, you remembering what some yahoo's on the bammer boards said, doesn't mean a dang thing. I guess someone forgot to tell Harrison and his family, huh?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't care who you are or what university you are. That is a dick move pulling the scholarship at such a late date. It's the NCAA's fault also cause their rules allow and even encourage it.

Jones family appears it will be alright, but as pointed out what about those students that were depending upon a scholarship to be able to pay for a education. Bad economy, tuition is always on the rise as well as textbooks. For many that type of decision could keep them out of college period. There are plenty of those kids that know they won't make it to the next level, they get 4 more years to play a sport they love and pay for college and walk with a degree.

I think it's funny that you guys COMPLETELY discard (or dont even consider) the fact that Saban had already discussed the potential of a greyshirt with Harrison and his family.

As a matter of fact, I remember reading on the boards when the kid committed that he was a possible greyshirt.

How is that when the article says, " he got blindsided."?? That is how we "completely" discard it!!! I think it hilarious you don't understand that part of the article!!

BG and WC, blow your red smoke all you won't, but on according to this he had no idea he was going to have to greyshirt.

As a matter of fact, you remembering what some yahoo's on the bammer boards said, doesn't mean a dang thing. I guess someone forgot to tell Harrison and his family, huh?

Jones didn't say he got blindsided, Scarbinsky did. He and his family were disappointed but they understood why it worked out the way it did. You guys make this sound like Saban is the only coach in the country that greyshirts players. Just like the article says, the math doesn't add up with the 25/85 limits but you know it is the same for every college. Blame the NCAA, it is their stupid ass rule. OH, you can sign 25 scholarship players a year but you can't have more than 85 scholarship players at one time, that makes a lot of sense. I know Saban is a hard ass but I don't think he anticipated Sims clearing but he did and good for him. Jones will still get a full scholarship but he will have to wait until January, nobody said life was fair.

Right, he never said he was blindsided. Scab did.

There's no way Saban didn't tell him that greyshirting was a possibility. No way. Especially when speculation on the Bama board was exactly that.

Numbers didn't work out so he had to take a greyshirt. It happens at other places than Bama. Auburn's even done it.

*want

I didn't realize the smoke puffing from our celebratory cigars was red, either. Cool.

*want

I didn't realize the smoke puffing from our celebratory cigars was red, either. Cool.

Those uaters use cigars to practice playing "red rocket" with the mayor of munchkinland! :roflol::roflol::roflol:

Way too easy. Set 'em up again bg? :moon:

Easy answer your a prick of a coach whose only concern is winning. You accuse agents of being pimps essentially

prostituting players, but you use your roster as an NFL club would. Signing more players then scholarships

you have, creating competition then cutting guys that do not make it. Tubbs pulled this in 99 and the outcry

amongst Auburn people was so great David Housel ended up keeping those nine guys on scholarship.

See I know Alabama fans will never believe this but for me at least its the truth, winning 24 regular season

games in a row and BCS Championship is not why I for one dislike Saban. Its crap like this. Can

you do it by NCAA rules yes, but is it right and ethical?? The total win

at all costs mentality is why I do not like him and this illustrates another shining example.

I tell you I would love to have a son and have him recruited by this guy. My first three questions would

be 1) What assurance do I have you will be the head coach my son's entire collegiate career? 2) How is

my son going to be a higher character person after for to five years under you as his head coach? 3)

What guarantees do I have if you sign another player that may be better next season that my son has a

scholarship for all four seasons?

Answer these questions prick.

How do you even offer kids a scholly and then in AUGUST tell them sorry we don't have one for you, you will have to Greyshirt or move on???

Right, he never said he was blindsided. Scab did.

There's no way Saban didn't tell him that greyshirting was a possibility. No way. Especially when speculation on the Bama board was exactly that.

Numbers didn't work out so he had to take a greyshirt. It happens at other places than Bama. Auburn's even done it.

Nobody is saying other don't greyshirt!!! That is not the point!!! Geez!! I know, I know, you, Win, and ashclown are so well connected in "the program" that you know everything saban says/does, cause there is no way he would lie to players, is there? :bs:

Kodi Burns was a starter for a year and saw considerable time at WR last year. Caudle is one play away from being a starter.

Star Jackson was 4th on the depth chart. Players transfer ALL THE TIME when they see they aren't going to make an impact.

Alonzo Lawerence was a HUGE discipline problem from day one AND wasn't cutting it on the field.

Some guys stick around because they know they are as good as they're ever going to be - but may as well get a degree out of the deal. Others think they still have something left in the tank and want to give it a shot somewhere else.

It's not that hard to buy.

I forgot... BG is always right. Kodi lost his job over the summer and was quickly converted to a back up WR. He was given a small role because of his great attitude in handling the situation. The difference in the situations is that our coaches saw a good kid who could help the team in someway (morale, wildcat, trick plays)that had been loyal to AU through some less than desirable situations. Saban does not appear to waste roster spots on a kid who would at best be our 3rd-4th string QB if he were still at that position. He would have said sorry son you are last on the depth chart like he did to Star Jackson and freed up a roster spot for a younger more capable player. Kodi and Star were in the same situation depth chart wise. You assume that you know our depth chart, but Caudle may not be a play away from anything. Our backup Qb race is still open according to the most recent articles on the subject. Depending on the situation, the QB's of the future are just as likely to end up 2nd/3rd string as Caudle. The kid has been burried on the depth chart for four years after being an Elite 11 QB and he stuck around. Both of those players situations are not all that different depth chart wise than Star Jackson. Niether of them are going to be the starting QB and they were not encouraged to leave the team. Disregard it all you want but there are not alot of those kinds of players on UA's roster. I said above that I dont think Saban is always culling the herd with his moves (some discipline/academic, some medical, etc). I also think UA is in a position to have some transfers because they have pulled in several highly rated classes full of guys who have always been the best and now some of them are 3rd string. I get that also, but when some of those guys leave and then make comments in the media insinuating that there transfers might not have been as mutual as some would have you believe, then one starts to question. Add that to the fact that Saban has a rep for being no non-sense, cut throat, rule bending, solely focused on football and winning kind of coach and I think it is pretty reasonbale to see why people "might" think that some of these guys don't leave the team 100% on the own accord.

How do you even offer kids a scholly and then in AUGUST tell them sorry we don't have one for you, you will have to Greyshirt or move on???

you may find this site interesting before you start claiming other schools, including auburn, doesn't 'plan' greyshirts

http://oversigning.com/testing/index.php/recruiting-numbers/

you may find this site interesting before you start claiming other schools, including auburn, doesn't 'plan' greyshirts

HA! So, by this site Auburn...the team that never over signs, or never greyshirts had the highest eight year average of oversigning in ALL of the BCS schools. So where did the extra 3 players go every year?

HA! So, by this site Auburn...the team that never over signs, or never greyshirts had the highest eight year average of oversigning in ALL of the BCS schools. So where did the extra 3 players go every year?

I was waiting for one of yall to find that and try to turn it on AU. Go back and look at Tubs recruiting over his last 2-3 years. He was signing 30 players and having 8, 9, 10 players in a class becoming academic casualties (some unexpected and some sign and place) each year. Auburn signed more players but had less attrition than UA because most of Auburn's oversigning was done with non-qualifiers and sign and place guys (many of which never made it back to Auburn later). Some of those classes where Auburn signed 28-30 guys ended up with Auburn only having 20-25 make it to campus. I actually dont remember Auburn asking anyone to greyshirt in the later parts of Tubs since we usually came in under the 25 a year with non-qualifiers. As I said above, Auburn had discussed greyshirts with a couple of players in this years class, but Shon Coleman and Jeremy Richardson not making it to AU and Lattimore choosing USCe meant noone greyshirted.

The Jones' family won't lose sleep over this. I can assure you of that.

He'll get his chance to suit up for the defending national champions next year. Don't worry.

The defending BCS Champions, you mean......NCAA Div. 1 football doesn't have a National Championship yet. ;)

I was waiting for one of yall to find that and try to turn it on AU. Go back and look at Tubs recruiting over his last 2-3 years. He was signing 30 players and having 8, 9, 10 players in a class becoming academic casualties (some unexpected and some sign and place) each year. Auburn signed more players but had less attrition than UA because most of Auburn's oversigning was done with non-qualifiers and sign and place guys (many of which never made it back to Auburn later). Some of those classes where Auburn signed 28-30 guys ended up with Auburn only having 20-25 make it to campus. I actually dont remember Auburn asking anyone to greyshirt in the later parts of Tubs since we usually came in under the 25 a year with non-qualifiers. As I said above, Auburn had discussed greyshirts with a couple of players in this years class, but Shon Coleman and Jeremy Richardson not making it to AU and Lattimore choosing USCe meant noone greyshirted.

Yea, I understand that.......every class has academic issues to a point.

Exactly!!! Amen!! There is NO true National Champion in college football. Only a BCS Champion. A BCS Champion

cannot be national champion with the absence of playoff.

Oh and to the Bama people on this board I would say the same damn thing if it was AU.

It why I have said it once and said it again I would rather Barbee win a national title in

hoops its legit. College football is not.

The defending BCS Champions, you mean......NCAA Div. 1 football doesn't have a National Championship yet. ;)

Why we do not like him.

I mean I have a question for Alabama fans does it not bother you your coach is an a**hole? Forget wins and losses

just as a person are you not bothered by this fact?

Add that to the fact that Saban has a rep for being no non-sense, cut throat, rule bending, solely focused on football and winning kind of coach and I think it is pretty reasonbale to see why people "might" think that some of these guys don't leave the team 100% on the own accord.

Why we do not like him.

I mean I have a question for Alabama fans does it not bother you your coach is an a**hole? Forget wins and losses

just as a person are you not bothered by this fact?

Add that to the fact that Saban has a rep for being no non-sense, cut throat, rule bending, solely focused on football and winning kind of coach and I think it is pretty reasonbale to see why people "might" think that some of these guys don't leave the team 100% on the own accord.

Dude, can you please learn how to quote properly? It's had to know what you say, and what others have said.

Dude can you just answer the question? Why do you like a coach that is a #ucking @**hole?

Dude, can you please learn how to quote properly? It's had to know what you say, and what others have said.

http://oversigning.c...uiting-numbers/

Are you guys just brain dead? Now where has anyone said 'uat is the only school that greyshirts"!!! Not even in AUgrad00's question does he say that. It's not about uat doing it and nobody else, it is about the appearance of uat doing it after the fact, blindsiding the recruit in August.

Tgr4lfe exactly right.

http://oversigning.c...uiting-numbers/

Are you guys just brain dead? Now where has anyone said 'uat is the only school that greyshirts"!!! Not even in AUgrad00's question does he say that. It's not about uat doing it and nobody else, it is about the appearance of uat doing it after the fact, blindsiding the recruit in August.

Again, there's absolutely NO basis for that claim.

None whatsoever.

You've got no more claim to say that your greyshirts were notified ahead of time than you do to accuse saban of "blind siding" somebody in August. You can't sit there and say that we don't know the inner workings of our scenario and then suggest that you do. It's inherently contradictory.

Again, there's absolutely NO basis for that claim.

None whatsoever.

You've got no more claim to say that your greyshirts were notified ahead of time than you do to accuse saban of "blind siding" somebody in August. You can't sit there and say that we don't know the inner workings of our scenario and then suggest that you do. It's inherently contradictory.

There have not been any Auburn greyshirts so that would be difficult to assess. Having gone out and done quick google search for "Auburn Greyshirts" there were several articles/premium site material that explained that some players had been talked to by the coaching staff about greyshirting (Robert Cooper, Brandon Jacobs-not NFL BJ, Stephen Clark and Cody Parkey). If that is in the print media that our coaches had discussed those options with certain players, then I think it is pretty safe to say that the coaches actually discussed it with said players. None of those players actually had to greyshirt because the numbers worked out and Jacobs played baseball as expected. I don't think UA's situation is as bad as LSU. At LSU the kid literally had no idea he might be a greyshirt until last week. From the al.com article it sounds like the kid at UA had been told he could be a greyshirt if something did not work out. I think he and his family had started to assume that he was going to make the cut based of his summer workout performance, his connection with a brother on the team, and it looking shakey for Belue and Sims at the last minute. I think they probably felt like since they made it to the week of/before classes start that he was going to make the cut and then when that did not work out for them they felt "blindsided". Not because it had never been discussed, but because they assumed they had made it pass that point of no return.

Feel free to scour the internet for your own info. I went back through the commitment lists for Auburn (2004-2010) and there was not a season that AU had more than 25 guys come in. There were a couple of years that they signed 25 or more, but not enough made it into school to necessitate greyshirting anyone. I think my statement was pretty accurate. With the new SEC rule, worse case scenario (or best depending on how you look at it) would be that you ink 28 guys and all of them qualify leaving three to greyshirt (and presumably taking 3 scholly's up out of the following year's class). However this can be exploited because these greyshirts can just not be offered the following year if a coach doesnt like their progress meaning they never occupied a scholarship (leaving it open for the next group of higly talented newcomers). This loophole should be closed by the SEC/NCAA. They should just increase scholarship athletes by one-two spots per class (26-27per class) allow x ammount of legit walkons and not allow greyshirting/oversigning. The couple of extra scholarhip players would help alleviate some of the sting if you miss on a prospect or two for grades, discipline, etc, but prevents coaches from leaving a couple of guys in limbo. The situation just leaves kids in an akward postion right before the season where they dont have a spot, have to pay their own way and find there own last minute living arrangements. Plus they have no real option to transfer elsewhere because everyone else is full and has already started practice. It wastes a year of the kids life either way.

Archived