Saban Gets down to 85

Ravad

http://oversigning.com/testing/

Saban Gets Down to 85 on the Last Day

We'll have more on this later today, but Saban just announced that 1 player is transferring and two players are accepting a greyshirt and will delay enrollment until next year. We said months ago that Saban was over by 10 and that 10 players needed to go; until today we had 7 accounted for and today we got 8, 9, and 10.

The interesting part is that Alabama only has 9 scholarship players on their roster, and with two guys greyshirting this year that leaves only 7 openings for next year plus the juniors that leave for the NFL. Alabama currently has 16 verbal commitments for next year, so much like LSU, they are already over the limit and we will see the exact same thing next year that we have seen this year.

Update:

As we mentioned above, Saban announced earlier today that 3 guys won't be joining the team this fall, two of which have elected to greyshirt. The one that is getting the most attention is Rod Woodson. Here are some comments from Saban regarding Woodson and the situation:

"He will transfer and have an opportunity to do that," Saban said. "We were very helpful in trying to give him an opportunity someplace else. We wish him very well. He did a good job for us."

Multiple sources had previously indicated that academics could be an issue in Woodson's case. After the initial announcement, Saban later made it sound more like a dismissal from the team.

"I don't really feel it's a problem, when you have people in the organization who aren't accountable, how not having one would affect anything," Saban said. "We cannot make decisions about the future of players who aren't accountable for what they're supposed to do and not responsible to what they're supposed to do as a member of this team, regardless of what they issue is, behavioral, academic, football-related.

"We have a lot of good players on the team, and I would rather move somebody from another position to play where we don't have enough players than to allow somebody not to do the right things and be involved. I don't think we do anyone any good if we do that."

So did Woodson violate a written team rule or was he declared academically ineligible? Doesn't sound like it. Sounds like Saban simply didn't like what he saw out of Woodson, end of story. Next. Too bad Woodson didn't have an agent when he signed his letter of intent, maybe his agent could have negotiated a better contract for him when he signed. That's where we are headed this this pattern, we all know it's coming.

It is interesting that Saban refers to the University of Alabama as an "organization," he could have fooled us, we thought it was an institution of higher learning that enjoys a tax-exempt status because it exists to educate the masses. Maybe we should start treating these schools like what they are, semi-pro "organizations," which flies directly in the face of every NCAA and University mission statement.

So here is what the final March looks like for Alabama:

The March to 85 - Alabama

Player Position Reason for leaving or not being apart of 2010 roster

Terry Grant Running Back Scholarship not renewed, graduated, quit football, might get a medical hardship scholarship

Travis Sikes Wide Receiver Scholarship not renewed, graduated, not good enough to see the field

Darius McKeller Offensive Lineman Medical Hardship Scholarship

Star Jackson Quarterback Transfer, Georgia State Div 1AA.

Blake Sims Quarterback Academically Ineligible, summer school, might enroll next year.

Taylor Pharr Offensive Lineman Medical Hardship Scholarship

Milton Talbert Linebacker Medical Hardship Scholarship

Rod Woodson Safety Scholarship not renewed; removed from team

Ronnie Carswell Wide Receiver Greyshirt; healthy and eligible

Wilson Love Defensive End Greyshirt; injured, eligible

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing to see here. Move along now.

Do you have any evidence to prove otherwise? Or are you just tossing out unfounded suggestion?

That what, Saban oversigns and 'weeds out' players? What more evidence would you like - isn't the last three years enough?

I just want to make sure I read that article right. At the end of this season if no juniors or redshirt sophs leave early and there is zero attrition, Alabama will only have 7 scholarships available to give to incoming freshman?

Do you have any evidence to prove otherwise? Or are you just tossing out unfounded suggestion?

That what, Saban oversigns and 'weeds out' players? What more evidence would you like - isn't the last three years enough?

So you think he "weeded out" Robby Green - our starting safety.

How about Rod Woodson - our ONLY backup at safety and our top special teams player?

You think he weeded out Milton Talbert? A guy who got a lot of PT last year.

Or was it Star Jackson? A guy who was about 5th on the depth chart.

He certainly didn't "weed out" the two greyshirts.

Maybe he got Blake Simms to intentionally tank his grades.

I think there are definitely those that abuse the system and oversign players because they can, but this isn't against any rules (then again, being an a-hole isn't against the rules, but that doesn't make it ok). I think this is the main thrust of the 25 scholly limit. It can really put kids in a bad situation. The article was very eye-opening indeed.

Come now BG--you can't honestly say you don't think this is happening. Sure, Robby Green wasn't weeded out and you can bet Saban is pissed that they're in that position with him but every year it is the same song and dance with you guys. No one is saying Saban is breaking any rule, just that he's being an ass. I would be willing to bet he nudged Star Jackson in that direction to free up the roster spot because he knew he wasn't going to see the field. Jackson isn't going to accomplish anything by transferring to GA State so it isn't like it is a good "career" move. Attrition is common, some players leave, some "get attritioned"

So you think he "weeded out" Robby Green - our starting safety.

How about Rod Woodson - our ONLY backup at safety and our top special teams player?

You think he weeded out Milton Talbert? A guy who got a lot of PT last year.

Or was it Star Jackson? A guy who was about 5th on the depth chart.

He certainly didn't "weed out" the two greyshirts.

Maybe he got Blake Simms to intentionally tank his grades.

Sounds like he's got an evaluation problem.

Rocket City I agree. Again this would be another shinning example of the win at all costs mentality. Saban calls agents pimps how is what he doing

here any different? He is signing players then tossing them aside if he can get better players, like he is running an NFL camp. How he can

sit there and sign a guy hey come to Alabama we want you blah blah blah then cut him like a year or two later because he got another guy is

not exactly the most fair for the student athlete. Let the NCAA outlaw this practice and Im sure the hair club for men spokesman

will go billistic.

I think there are definitely those that abuse the system and oversign players because they can, but this isn't against any rules (then again, being an a-hole isn't against the rules, but that doesn't make it ok). I think this is the main thrust of the 25 scholly limit. It can really put kids in a bad situation. The article was very eye-opening indeed.

How is he tossing players aside? Why did nobody read what I posted?

He's not "tossing aside" starters at safety or his ONLY scholarshiped backup at safety. He's not tossing aside guys who took a greyshirt. Or guys who didn't make grades.

Both Terry Grant and Star Jackson BOTH considered transferring last year but decided to give it one more shot. Travis Sikes NEVER saw the field and already has his diploma.

I just don't understand how you bash a guy for not disciplining his players, then when he lets go STARTERS and key backups he's "moving them aside" to make room for other players.

He's not "tossing aside" starters at safety or his ONLY scholarshiped backup at safety. He's not tossing aside guys who took a greyshirt. Or guys who didn't make grades.

Both Terry Grant and Star Jackson BOTH considered transferring last year but decided to give it one more shot. Travis Sikes NEVER saw the field and already has his diploma.

I just don't understand how you bash a guy for not disciplining his players, then when he lets go STARTERS and key backups he's "moving them aside" to make room for other players.

I don't think anyone will argue that removal for disciplinary reasons is legit. I haven't read anywhere that Woodson's dismissal was disciplinary (no reason given yet). If there is a reason, provide a link so that point will die. True, this guy was a contributor last year, but that doesn't mean that he was going to this year (maybe somebody could see that).

Sikes is one of the points here. Just because he has graduated (and that's awesome for him), doesn't mean that he couldn't be a part of the team and use the scholly to further his education. From the info we have, he was removed from the team, he didn't remove himself.

The article clearly points out how greyshirting can be a weed-out mechanism (not always, but it's possible).

Like I said before, oversigning with the foresight that you are going to weed-out is an ugly practice, but not against the rules.

He's not tossing aside guys who took a greyshirt.

How do you even offer kids a scholly and then in AUGUST tell them sorry we don't have one for you, you will have to Greyshirt or move on???

How do you even offer kids a scholly and then in AUGUST tell them sorry we don't have one for you, you will have to Greyshirt or move on???

Who said that was the case?

In every greyshirt situation I've been familiar with (and this dates back to the shula era), greyshirts are contingent upon how many kids qualify. So had it been the case this year that a bunch of kids didn't clear the clearinghouse, then the two who took greyshirts wouldnt have to.

But that's usually worked out before they even sign with a school.

Who said that was the case?

In every greyshirt situation I've been familiar with (and this dates back to the shula era), greyshirts are contingent upon how many kids qualify. So had it been the case this year that a bunch of kids didn't clear the clearinghouse, then the two who took greyshirts wouldnt have to.

But that's usually worked out before they even sign with a school.

How could that have been worked out in advance? before last February? Did they know then that Grant and Sikes were not coming back, did they know then that Jackson would transfer? Did they know then about Woodson and Talbert?

i seriously doubt it!!! He's playing a shell game and it is going to bite him in the ass eventually, I hope.

I know of a number of cases where kids are offered scholarships with greyshirt contingencies. Those guys were told "you have an offer, but if everyone else in this class makes grades, you'll have to take a greyshirt."

That's not new.

Was this guy told that BG...

Late grayshirts a black mark against college football

Kevin Scarbinsky, Birmingham News

Harrison Jones was ready for his first year of college football.

The tight end from Memphis, the younger brother of Alabama starting guard Barrett Jones, signed with the Crimson Tide the first week of February. He arrived at Alabama and moved into the dorm the last week of May.

He earned three A's in the classroom this summer. He also excelled in the summer conditioning program. Freshmen can earn up to three awards in the program, for things such as running a timed series of 110-yard gassers, and Jones earned all three.

Because another 2010 signee, Blake Sims, received his academic clearance from the NCAA at the last minute, the Alabama roster was in danger of exceeding the limit of incoming signees.

So Jones was asked to delay his enrollment until January. He had to move out of the dorm, and he won't be on an athletic scholarship until next semester. He can't practice with the team, work out with the team or travel with the team.

Instead, he'll be a part-time student this semester, taking nine hours, and he'll live in the condo his parents had leased for his older brother to call home and for the family to share on football weekends.

Having muscled up to 250 pounds on his 6-foot-4 frame, Jones was ready to hit the field for the start of fall camp.

Instead, he got blindsided.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/08/scarbinsky_late_grayshirts_a_b.html

When the bammer media starts picking this stuff up, trust me, this nonsense Saban is pulling is not going unnoticed.

The Jones' family won't lose sleep over this. I can assure you of that.

He'll get his chance to suit up for the defending national champions next year. Don't worry.

The Jones' family won't lose sleep over this. I can assure you of that.

He'll get his chance to suit up for the defending national champions next year. Don't worry.

The Jones family may not care as you have implied BUT what kind of message does this sent to a high school recruit and his family that may not have the $ to sit and wait or enroll and train like this kid did only to be told "Sorry but later".

I think it's funny that you guys COMPLETELY discard (or dont even consider) the fact that Saban had already discussed the potential of a greyshirt with Harrison and his family.

As a matter of fact, I remember reading on the boards when the kid committed that he was a possible greyshirt.

Personally, I think any kid that is treated the way HJ was deserves the right to transfer immediately without penalty. It's the least the NCAA could do to counteract the greyshirt phenomenon.

The greyshirt deals are usually worked out in advance. Miles is an idiot and screwed that up royally. Auburn had discussions with Stephen Clark about greyshirting if all of our class had made it (Coleman not showing up due to cancer and Richardson's grades meant that Clark didnt greyshirt). Auburn also has disciplinary expulsions (Slaughter, John Douglas). Auburn also has medical hardships (Pybus, Herring, Vance Smith, etc.)The players that I have a problem with are the Star Jackson's, Jermaine Preyear's, Alonzo Lawrence's, Chris Jackson's, etc. Saban has had alot of marginally talented players leave the program early in their careers. Sometimes when they leave they don't always sound like it was their idea to transfer. Im sure some of them would have been happy to stick around and snag a ring last year. I think that kind of attrition is what raises my eyebrows with regards to Saban running people off. Maybe Florida and others who are always in the top 5 for recruiting have these same issues but I dont here about it. Kodi Burns, Neil Caudle, Mike Slade, Bart Eddins and many othe AU guys have stuck around for 4-5 years despite not really having much of a chance at PT.

Kodi Burns was a starter for a year and saw considerable time at WR last year. Caudle is one play away from being a starter.

Star Jackson was 4th on the depth chart. Players transfer ALL THE TIME when they see they aren't going to make an impact.

Alonzo Lawerence was a HUGE discipline problem from day one AND wasn't cutting it on the field.

Some guys stick around because they know they are as good as they're ever going to be - but may as well get a degree out of the deal. Others think they still have something left in the tank and want to give it a shot somewhere else.

It's not that hard to buy.

Archived