Cassanova McKinzy chooses AU

RunInRed

Rivals is reporting we have received our second commitment for the 2012 class...

CASSANOVAMCKINZYRAW_150_10_25.JPG

Cassanova McKinzy, LB

Birmingham, AL (Woodlawn)

6'3 / 230 / 4.59

Offers (8+):

Alabama, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Auburn, Clemson, Florida State, Kansas and UAB, among others.

McKinzy had 123 tackles - including 19 for a loss last season.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/03/linebacker_cassanova_mckinzy_c.html

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night I was on my way home from work and I stopped in at the Publix to pick up some boiled shrimp for dinner. I pulled into the parking spot and a voice said "Did you go to Auburn?" I looked to my right and a young man was sitting behind the wheel of his car apparently waiting for his mom to come out of the grocery store. I replied that I had attended Auburn and that I met my wife there and that both my daughters attended Auburn. He said that he was a football player and had a scholarship offer from Auburn. He asked me a number of questions about Auburn mostly concerning the family atmosphere and was the Auburn family stuff real. I told him that when my daughter first decided to go to Auburn that I tried to explain to her what it meant to be an Auburn person. I obviously did not do a very good job because she didn't seem to get it at the time. I told him that one of the proudest moments of my life was when about a year later she told me that she now understood what it meant to be an Auburn person and how much of an honor it was to greet fellow Auburn fans with War Eagle. We talked for about 30 minutes and then I asked his name, what position he played and where he played, and he told me he was Cassanova McKinzy and he played line backer at Woodlawn. He said he wanted to commit to Auburn, but that people were telling him he should not commit now. I told him that it was his decision and that he should go where he could get the best education and where his heart told him to go. I shook his hand and wished him good luck in making his decison and said War Eagle. I told him that while I hoped that he would make his own decison, I was biased and hoped that one day I would hear his named called over the PA at Jordan-Hare Stadium. It warms my heart to hear today that he committed to Auburn.

Last night I was on my way home from work and I stopped in at the Publix to pick up some boiled shrimp for dinner. I pulled into the parking spot and a voice said "Did you go to Auburn?" I looked to my right and a young man was sitting behind the wheel of his car apparently waiting for his mom to come out of the grocery store. I replied that I had attended Auburn and that I met my wife there and that both my daughters attended Auburn. He said that he was a football player and had a scholarship offer from Auburn. He asked me a number of questions about Auburn mostly concerning the family atmosphere and was the Auburn family stuff real. I told him that when my daughter first decided to go to Auburn that I tried to explain to her what it meant to be an Auburn person. I obviously did not do a very good job because she didn't seem to get it at the time. I told him that one of the proudest moments of my life was when about a year later she told me that she now understood what it meant to be an Auburn person and how much of an honor it was to greet fellow Auburn fans with War Eagle. We talked for about 30 minutes and then I asked his name, what position he played and where he played, and he told me he was Cassanova McKinzy and he played line backer at Woodlawn. He said he wanted to commit to Auburn, but that people were telling him he should not commit now. I told him that it was his decision and that he should go where he could get the best education and where his heart told him to go. I shook his hand and wished him good luck in making his decison and said War Eagle. I told him that while I hoped that he would make his own decison, I was biased and hoped that one day I would hear his named called over the PA at Jordan-Hare Stadium. It warms my heart to hear today that he committed to Auburn.

That's a pretty awesome story. Thanks for sharing.

It might not end up meaning anything but worth noting that McKinzey is good friends with Kwon Alexander and Jameis Winston.

Last night I was on my way home from work and I stopped in at the Publix to pick up some boiled shrimp for dinner. I pulled into the parking spot and a voice said "Did you go to Auburn?" I looked to my right and a young man was sitting behind the wheel of his car apparently waiting for his mom to come out of the grocery store. I replied that I had attended Auburn and that I met my wife there and that both my daughters attended Auburn. He said that he was a football player and had a scholarship offer from Auburn. He asked me a number of questions about Auburn mostly concerning the family atmosphere and was the Auburn family stuff real. I told him that when my daughter first decided to go to Auburn that I tried to explain to her what it meant to be an Auburn person. I obviously did not do a very good job because she didn't seem to get it at the time. I told him that one of the proudest moments of my life was when about a year later she told me that she now understood what it meant to be an Auburn person and how much of an honor it was to greet fellow Auburn fans with War Eagle. We talked for about 30 minutes and then I asked his name, what position he played and where he played, and he told me he was Cassanova McKinzy and he played line backer at Woodlawn. He said he wanted to commit to Auburn, but that people were telling him he should not commit now. I told him that it was his decision and that he should go where he could get the best education and where his heart told him to go. I shook his hand and wished him good luck in making his decision and said War Eagle. I told him that while I hoped that he would make his own decision, I was biased and hoped that one day I would hear his named called over the PA at Jordan-Hare Stadium. It warms my heart to hear today that he committed to Auburn.

War Eagle, indeed! :thumbsup:

McKinzy is very similar to Ladarius Owens.

I can see that. Big enough to play DE in high school and a little rough around the edges but kind of a tweener so they'll need a little refinement at the next level. I think both kids have big potential when they finally get everything squared away.

Very raw, big upside?

Similar physical package and both guys that were used heavily as DE-tweeners in HS. I think McKinzy has played a bit more pure LB, but like Owens he'll need some time to adjust.

I told him that it was his decision and that he should go where he could get the best education and where his heart told him to go. I shook his hand and wished him good luck in making his decison and said War Eagle.

And that right there is why the Auburn family is different and why it's great to be an Auburn Tiger! :thumbsup:

Good story.

Great pick up.

I hope he ends up at AU. He's certainly got the frame. Anybody else have trouble watching that video clip of him? Most of what I saw (when I could follow it) was of him on offense.

• 1 month later...

Congratulations to Cassanova...

Auburn commitment, Woodlawn (Ala.) LB Cassanova McKinzy has been nominated for the U.S. Army All-American Bowl today.

@JHokanson

Just read on another board that he was nominated for the Army AA game.

Is that the same as being selected to play or is that just "getting your name in the hat" to be picked?

Nominated, not selected. My guess is this is essentially a watch list given that the season hasn't started.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Woodlawn is playing Hueytown tonight...

Cassanova McKinzy No. 4 http://twitpic.com/73abqd

Auburn safeties coach Tommy Thigpen here to check out commit Cassanova McKinzy.

@JHokanson

Interesting...

After 1 half, little disappointed in Cassanova McKinzy. Let OLs get hands locked on him, trouble disengaging, needs to play harder.

@ChadSimmons_

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived