Cassanova McKinzy chooses AU

RunInRed

I believe it means Auburn is his favorite right now, but is essentially liable to flip to somebody else

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much means he is still looking around and not committed, imo.

What is a soft verbal?

A soft verbal is when a kid is committed to a school and takes a visit or two. When they visit SCOUT changes their status from committed to soft verbal.

Cassanova McKinzey will be visiting Clemson this weekend, but says he is firmly committed to the Auburn Tigers.

I believe it means Auburn is his favorite right now, but is essentially liable to flip to somebody else

Not "is essentially liable to flip to somebody else", just taking a visit.

I'd say that's a fair assessment of soft verbal. You're the leader, but the guy can be swayed. If not, he wouldn't be chatting up other coaches or scoping another campus' ladies.

If not, he wouldn't be chatting up other coaches or scoping another campus' ladies.

I'm firmly committed to Auburn, but I still don't mind doing that. :big:

So, Cassanova himself said tonight that he's just enjoying being a teenager and is 100% Auburn. I can post his whole rant if anyone would like.

That is what TJ Yeldon said right before he flipped to Alabama.

Yeah but bammer doesn't want Cassanova. :rolleyes: At least that's what a lot of their fans said when he committed to AU.

That is what TJ Yeldon said right before he flipped to Alabama.

Auburn fans are going to have to accept that Yeldon was a setup and a unique situation. Just because Yeldon is a liar that took willing part in a plan to embarrass Auburn doesn't mean every, or any, other recruit out there is lying.

• 2 weeks later...
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- According to his high school coach, Woodlawn linebacker and longtime Auburn commitment Cassanova McKinzy has made up his mind. Woodlawn's Bruce Breland said McKinzy will sign with Auburn on Wednesday's national signing day.

"I don't know if he's ever had much doubt," Breland said Monday morning. "I think he's just one of those kids that wanted to see other places."

Until recently, other schools had continued a hot pursuit of McKinzy. The 6-foot-3, 230-pounder surprised Breland by taking a visit to Clemson last weekend. McKinzy had previously canceled the trip, Breland said.

But, according to Breland, McKinzy returned from that visit with his commitment to Auburn unchanged.

Now it appears McKinzy will follow through on what he started when he first verbally committed to Gene Chizik's Tigers last March.

"You hear clichés about the (Auburn) family, but he really, sincerely talks about that - the atmosphere, how much he likes the coaches and the players," said Breland, an Auburn graduate. "I think from Day One, when they first started talking to him, he's talked about that."

In addition to Auburn, McKinzy has offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Arkansas State, Clemson, Florida State, Kansas and UAB.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/01/coach_says_cassanova_mckinzy_t.html

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

He better start pushing himself back from the table or he'll be learning how to play DT! We need this guy to play LB and a LB that can't get there ain't much good. I hope they work him back down to somewhere below 240 before the start of fall camp.

I mean, he was signed at 224 and now he's already at 250? Dude, slack off on the calories!

Starting to sound a lot more like a future DE than a LB. We'll see.

-Rolando McClain played at 6'3 255, McKinzy's size now (according to McKinzy, via Hoke)

-If McKinzy is putting on that kind of weight, it is quite likely with the coaches' blessings

-More weight does not necessarily mean meaningfully compromised speed

-From Hoke:

McKinzy will be a MLB. RT @TheProwler64 @JHokanson DEnd or Big Middle LBer?

@JHokanson

We want bigger LBs. If he kept his lateral quicks he's fine at 255#. BVG wants big, punishing LBs. If his speed isn't sorely compromised McKinzy at 255# fits the bill. He wouldn't be openly talking about it if he weren't supposed to be bulking. He'll lose some in camp anyway.

If a kid is 255 as an 18 year old, odds are he's going to be appreciably larger as a 22 year old. Not always. But most guys get bigger with weight training, full-time workouts, and time. He may be an exception OR he may be a guy that can play LB at 270 (he wouldn't be alone there). I just generally assume a guy will gain in the neighborhood of 15-25 pounds in college because that's common.

If a kid is 255 as an 18 year old, odds are he's going to be appreciably larger as a 22 year old. Not always. But most guys get bigger with weight training, full-time workouts, and time. He may be an exception OR he may be a guy that can play LB at 270 (he wouldn't be alone there). I just generally assume a guy will gain in the neighborhood of 15-25 pounds in college because that's common.

VanGorder just sported that big honkin' 1970's smile... :big:

Generally, larger at LB means slower at LB. We are playing a 4-3 defense and that requires LB speed. There are a lot of "if he keeps his speed" statements here. In my time, I've seen a boatload of kids come to AU and be moved from LB to DL, TE to OT and on down the line because they got bigger and slower. Slower is the natural companion of bigger.

Is it impossible for some kid to get a lot bigger without losing speed? No not impossible, just very, very unusual. The thread from over a year ago about O-Mac gaining weight contained a thorough discussion of the laws of physics that are involved. I don't think said laws have changed much in a year.

At 230# McKinzy ran a 4.69. At 255# Rolo ran a 4.75, Bynes ran a 4.8 at 240#. The laws of physics haven't changed but genetics play a huge role in this. Some people are just faster than others and you can train a slight increase in speed. McKinzy will still probably be a step faster than Bynes and appreciably bigger. It doesn't always work out but I assume he'll drop some weight when he hits camp. Generally mc is correct about weight gain but if we can keep him this side of that line we'll be fine.

I've spent time at Gyme Jones and a few CrossFit boxes--you'd be shocked what monstrous people can do with the right training.

There are plenty of guys that play at 260+ in the NFL. Urlacher, Ware, Suggs, Tamba Hali, LaMarr Woodley, and I'm guessing Rolo is over 260 during the offseason. It can and has been done. It just takes a freak athlete. I'm hoping we pull him down to 240 instead.

I have a hard time believing he's 255 if he weighed(or claimed to have weighed) 240 less than a month before on April 11th.

I can see him pushing 250, but even that might be a little too much. You just can't gain 10 lbs of muscle in less than a month unless your doing steroids. Either way, it looks like he's going to get to Auburn in great physical condition and ready to compete for some PT at that MLB spot. If nothing else, he'll be a wrecking ball on special teams.

And most of these guys will lose a couple lbs during 2 a days. I see him playing at about 245 next year.

Archived