Josh Holsey chooses AU

RunInRed

JOSHUA-HOSLEY-150.GIF

Josh Holsey, DB

Fairburn, GA

5'10 / 175 / 4.46

Offers:

Alabama, Auburn, Cincinnati, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Nebraska, North Carolina State, Ohio State, Purdue, South Carolina, South Florida, Tennessee, USC, Virginia, Virginia Tech and Wisconsin, among others.

247Sports 3*

Rivals 4*

Scout 4* (Top 250 -- 117)

Holsey has good feet, nice change of direction, very good speed, and hands like a top wide receiver. He really closes on the ball well and always aware of what is going on in the secondary. He plays safety in high school, but he is a straight corner on the next level. He needs to get stronger, work on his press coverage skills, and continue to develop as a true corner. He has great speed, hands, and play-making skills. - Chad Simmons

http://auburn.scout.com/a.z?s=6&p=8&c=1&nid=4183193

Highlights:

A good read...

As it turned out, one of the state’s top defensive backs won’t have to wait until UGA’s summer camp to try to earn a football scholarship offer from the Bulldogs.

UGA recruiting coordinator Rodney Garner traveled to Creekside High School on Wednesday to extend an offer to Josh Holsey, one of the state’s hottest college football prospects with 24 early offers.

“I was just in shock; I didn’t really think Georgia was going to offer me,” Holsey told the AJC. “It feels great.”

During his spring break last month, Holsey made unofficial visits to several schools, including UGA. He held around 10 offers when he arrived at Georgia, and had high hopes on adding another with the Bulldogs, his childhood favorite.

There was even speculation that Holsey would commit on the spot, if offered by UGA.

However, Holsey didn’t get to meet UGA coach Mark Richt (”he was busy talking to some other prospects but it was OK, I understood”). He did get to spend a lot of time with Georgia’s defensive staff, who Holsey said told him they weren’t ready to offer. “They told me to come to camp so we can see you work out and then we’ll let you know about an offer — that’s why I was surprised about [Thursday].”

The 5-foot-10, 180-pounder admitted he was disappointed, and said he was undecided at the time whether or not he would return for UGA’s summer camp. It was nothing against the Bulldogs; he wants to spend the summer touring schools that have already offered scholarships.

UGA finally became one of those schools on Thursday.

How does Holsey feel about UGA now? “I like them but I’m just going to visit some schools and see which one is the best for me.”

Did it hurt UGA’s chances by waiting longer than other schools to offer? “No. I’m not even really thinking about recruiting right now. I’m focused on spring football with my high school. I’ll think about recruiting after that.”

However, Holsey was kind enough to reveal his leaders. “Right now, I’d say Auburn, LSU and Virginia Tech.”

UGA may be targeting Holsey as No. 1 in-state target at cornerback after seeing its chances diminishing with St. Pius’ Geno Smith — who lists Auburn as his leader, with Alabama, Florida State and Tennessee rounding out Smith’s leaderboard

Smith seems to be the consensus choice at the state’s top DB prospect but is being challenged by the hard-charging Holsey.

Holsey turned into an overnight sensation — and national prospect — after being clocked at 4.31 in the 40-yard dash at the Rivals/VTO Georgia Elite Camp last month. If that wasn’t enough for the scouts, Holsey showed off his blazing speed as part of Creekside’s state championship 400-meter relay team.

Creekside football coach Johnny White gave Holsey the ultimate compliment. “He’s the best defensive back we’ve had at Creekside since Eric Berry was here … His ball skills, his athleticism, his speed … he’s the total package.”

Holsey has started in the defensive secondary since his freshman year and has 19 interceptions, including 9 last year. He considers Berry to be “like an older brother.” They work out together when Berry visits Creekside to train at the school.

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2011/05/13/one-of-georgias-top-defensive-backs-doesnt-have-to-wait-until-uga-summer-camp-for-scholarship-offer/?cxntfid=blogs_recruiting

However, last month Holsey gave a very revealing answer about which college he would pick if he had to “sign that day”...

Holsey said if he had to sign today, it would be with Auburn. “I’ve been over there 3-4 times. I’ve got a good relationship with the coaches. I like the campus and just have good vibes about the place.”

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2011/04/14/tennessee-offers-db-from-alma-mater-of-vols-great-eric-berry/?cxntfid=blogs_recruiting

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

A good read, thanks.

Holsey said if he had to sign today, it would be with Auburn. “I’ve been over there 3-4 times. I’ve got a good relationship with the coaches. I like the campus and just have good vibes about the place.”

Come on down Josh, Auburn is a great place.

War Eagle.

ESPN article...

Need a DB? Go to Creekside

By Jamie Newberg

ESPN Recruiting

v7t894.jpg

FAIRBURN, Ga. -- For Creekside (Ga.) High School, it could be a secondary to remember. Coach Johnny White has a an incredibly talented defensive backfield, loaded with both young and experienced elite talent.

"It's unbelievable," White said. "To be able to coach this group is something else and once we all get on the field together we have a chance to be pretty special. They are so talented and so athletic. The talent is scary."

Manning the cornerback positions will be Virginia Tech bound Davion Tookes and uncommitted Joshua Holsey, who's a member of the ESPNU Watch List. Both are blessed with blazing speed and super ball skills.

"You get pushed every day," Tookes said. "We are all competing. The older guys are helping the younger guys. We are teaching and the more you see these young guys play you say 'wow'. We can be really good."

Holsey has become one of the hottest defensive prospects in the Peach State over the past several weeks. He has two dozen offers, including including Georgia, Virginia Tech, LSU, Auburn and Georgia Tech.

"It's been a great few weeks," Holsey said. "Right now my three top schools are Auburn, LSU and Virginia Tech. I just try and do my job the best I can and make plays back there."

Read more: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=6558560

I've read he's decided to announce Tues between AU, LSU, uga and VT.

Bet people are starting to bug him to go to Georgia.

I've read he's decided to announce Tues between AU, LSU, uga and VT.

Fairburn (GA) Creekside CB Josh Holsey will make his college choice Tuesday at 3pm.

@ChadSimmons_

CB Joshua Holsey will announce a decision Tuesday 3pm ET ... http://bit.ly/lEAax4

@BMatt247

Four star Fairburn (Ga.) Creekside CB Joshua Holsey will announce his commitment Tuesday at 3pm. #Auburn #LSU #UGA #VirginiaTech

@KippLAdama

AU is in great shape...

He's announcing today. On yesterday's SportsCall radio show, Bryan Matthews said he'll be there covering the event. When a caller asked Matthews if he'd ever covered an announcement when the player didn't pick Auburn, Matthews replied "Two in ten years." I'd say we are looking good with this guy.

He's announcing today. On yesterday's SportsCall radio show, Bryan Matthews said he'll be there covering the event. When a caller asked Matthews if he'd ever covered an announcement when the player didn't pick Auburn, Matthews replied "Two in ten years." I'd say we are looking good with this guy.

I still love how the pay sites will say, "we'll be there for the coverage" in the same article that says..."but who will he pick?"

6_135977.jpg

247Sports photo

AUBURN, Alabama -- Joshua Holsey committed to Auburn on Tuesday with an impressive list of interceptions and college offers.

The 5-foot-10, 171-pound defensive back from Fairburn, Ga., had nine interceptions as a junior last season and has 19 since starting as a freshman at Creekside High School.

Rivals and Scout rate the 5-foot-9, 171-pounder a four-star cornerback. He promises to be a part of the 2012 signing class.

Reporting the commitment first from Holsey's announcement at Creekside High School were AuburnUndercover.com and Inside the Auburn Tigers and AuburnSports.com. They'll have the quotes.

Holsey had narrowed his choices to Auburn, Georgia, LSU and Virginia Tech, but also had offers from Alabama, Florida State, Georgia Tech and Kentucky, among others, according to Rivals.

His play has conjured up visions of a former Tennessee All-American who played at Creekside.

"He's the best defensive back we've had at Creekside since Eric Berry was here," Creekside coach Johnny White told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "His ball skills, his athleticism, his speed ... he's the total package."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/05/defensive_back_joshua_holsey_c.html

19 interceptions? :blink: That's a huge number.

Joshua Holsey commits to Auburn

By Jamie Newberg

ESPN Recruiting

The national champions just landed a defensive playmaker, as Fairburn (Ga.) Creekside CB Joshua Holsey, a member of the ESPNU Watch List, committed to play for Gene Chizik and the Auburn Tigers on Tuesday.

"Auburn just felt right," Holsey said. "I love the coaches. I love the environment there. I have been there now three or four times and I just feel in love with Auburn. It's a good scheme and I know they really like me. I can come in and play and help that team. I am what they are looking for at cornerback."

Holsey has started since his freshman year at Creekside and has 19 interceptions in his career. Last season, he spent time playing receiver and had 878 receiving yards and 13 touchdowns on only 26 receptions. Hosley, 5-foot-10 and 180 pounds, is consistently clocked under 4.4 in the 40-yard dash and was part of the Creekside state title 4x100 team.

"Auburn is getting a heck of a football player," Creekside coach Johnny White said. "Joshua is a kid that can play both cornerback and safety. He's a hard worker and competitor. He's a kid with great, great speed and ball skills. Joshua knows he wants to be great, and I really think he understands there is a next level and that takes extra preparation to play in the SEC. He really does understand that and knows he has to work hard."

Auburn won this battle over the home-state Bulldogs and Virginia Tech. It was a hard decision for Holsey, and he's glad to get it out of the way.

"You can only pick one school so that's kind of tough," Holsey said. "To be honest though, Georgia got in the game with me kind of late. If they had offered me earlier in the process I would have visited them more. If I had done that then who knows what would have happened. It could have been a different story."

Creekside played their spring game last Friday, and that's when Holsey came to his decision.

"I felt it after the spring game," Holsey said. "I can't remember if I talked with and told Auburn on Friday or Saturday, but those coaches were very excited."

White has quite a secondary at Creekside. His other starting cornerback, Davion Tookes, has committed to Virginia Tech.

"I think Joshua really will fit in well," White said. "They are a really good group of coaches. Auburn is close to home, less than an hour, and I think that's important to Joshua and his mom. He's still real close to his mom and they have a great relationship. I am excited that he gets to play the best college football in the country."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=6584215

This is great news but I really cannot stand the hype that he (whomever) created around his "commitment". Hold a presser and pick a hat when you put pen to paper. It really bugs me that we still aren't 100% this kid will be in orange and blue come Fall 2012.

This is great news but I really cannot stand the hype that he (whomever) created around his "commitment". Hold a presser and pick a hat when you put pen to paper. It really bugs me that we still aren't 100% this kid will be in orange and blue come Fall 2012.

I think present day recruiting bugs a lot of us, but that's the way the game is played these days and unless your school plays it, you're out of the picture.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived