Are we back in it for QB Raymond Cotton

AUSportTalk

Now that Willis has been rehired and the Tigers have added Gus Malzahn as offensive coordinator, Auburn appears it will have one last chance to sway Cotton back to the Orange and Blue.

And it has more to do with Willis, who recruits Cotton for Auburn, than the new hire.

"He really doesn't know who Gus Malzahn is," said Cotton's father, Raymond Cotton, Sr. "I told Raymond after the (Offense-Defense All-American) game (this week), we'd be able to sit down and talk about the offensive coordinator hire.

"We really haven't had time, yet. It's all about building relationships and he hasn't had an opportunity to do that. He's down at the game trying to make his team better. After the game we'll have a chance to sit down and talk about the Gus Malzahn hire."

"We have been in touch with Coach Willis and that's always a plus," said Cotton, Sr. "We talked a little bit about how his situation was treated. He talked to my wife a bit about what he wanted to do in the future. So we've had a chance to talk to him, but not anyone else down there, yet.

"After this week, we'll sit down and talk about what Auburn has done with the hire of Gus Malzahn. We're going to talk with Coach Willis and that will hopefully give us an opportunity to sit down with Gus Malzahn and Chizik and just talk. Prior to Willis being retained, I don't think that meeting would've ever happened. Now, I think it will."

Currently Cotton has official visits set up to Ole Miss (Jan. 9-11), Southern Miss (Jan. 16-18) and Arkansas (Jan. 23-25). Cotton took an official visit to Auburn Nov. 14-16.

"January is going to be so packed. I don't know what that will do for Auburn," said Cotton, Sr. "There are three or four schools trying to get that last visit. Florida, Tennessee and Mississippi State are all trying to get it, but he's not sure what he'll do.

"Certainly with Coach Willis being back, that will open dialogue back up with Auburn. We'll wait until after this week is over and then sit down and talk about the situation at Auburn."

From all I hear he is still extremely raw with a tremendous upside.  If we have time for Malzahn to groom him then he may still be benificial to us.  I hear he is a really good kid with a good head on his shoulders.  He has a good family.  People have been knocking the guy ever since he decommited, but guys, you have to put yourself in the recruits shoes.  Most of them aren't big fans (like us) of any school so they have valid reason to sway in their decisions when entire coaching staffs are canned.  These are big time decisions that these kids are making.  I don't know if he is right for us or not but the people who have been dogging the kid and his dad since the decommitment are gonna feel real stupid if he comes in here and breaks every QB record in our record book.  They should be ashamed.

Yeah i really think that he has a HUGE upside but its gonna take some very hard work for Auburn to get him to come here after de-committing

Maybe he will be good, maybe he won't.  One thing I hate, though, is his dad getting so involved.  His son is about to be an adult (if he isn't already).  Let him make his own decisions.  Sr. is obviously living vicariously through Jr.

Well i accept your opinion Kiser but i really think that you should put yourself in his shoes for a minute and think about all that he goes through in 24 hours. I know for a fact that his phone blows up everyday more than likely about 20-30 times a day. He comes home from school, checks the mail and has 5 letters from different schools that want him to visit there school. The fact that his dad is standing up and helping him is awesome in my mind b/c i think what all they go through can be really stressful and thats the main reason that alot of them don't qualify out of high school is b/c they are too worried about whats going on around them. I respect Cotton Sr. for stepping in b/c that means he lets his son focus on the things that are MOST important, and thats an education. Im not dogging you by no means for your opinion but i just had to step in b/c im sick and tired of getting online everyday and when Cotton comes up everyone wants to dog Cotton Sr. out. Let the man be a dad and do what he thinks is right!

I hear what you're saying, but I still think he's way too outspoken.  What other recruits do we hear from their parents from on a continual basis?  I read your post about how most recruits haven't heard of Malzahn and they all spoke for themselves.  However, anytime we hear something about Cotton, his dad talks for him.  I respect your opinion as well and I'm sure you probably have some better information and may even know the Cottons, but the way it appears to me, his dad just wants some publicity.

Well i also understand where you are coming from but i think that the Cottons are a great family and his dad is just doing what he thinks is the right thing to do. He thinks that he should take some pressure off of Jr. and help him out while he is trying to concentrate on school and football.

I am glad someone else is standing up and saying something.  thanks sportstalk.  I already had my rant on another thread on here.  Most of the recruits out there don't have the family life that he has.  They are lucky if their parents care at all.

I know its gonna help us that Willis is back but we still have our work cut out for us to get Cotton so i wouldn't be counting on it being very easy to get him.

Archived