Why Lebo will not be fired...

InfernoOrangeSS

It would simply be too costly for the university to fire him right now.

Firing Lebo would be costly. Lebo's contract, which pays at least $785,000 annually, runs through June 30, 2013. Auburn would have to pay $500,000 for every year remaining on the contract -- at least $2 million -- if he's fired following this season.

Auburn sadly does not put enough emphasis on BB to spend that much to dump him, and then have to turn around and hire another coach.  I think we are stuck with him till it becomes cost effective to be without him.  The only thing I can think of that would change that mindset, is that attendance is pitiful.  Auburn is soon to move into a brand new arena and it would be very embarrassing to spend all that money on an arena that no one goes to.

:'(

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is the one thing that gives me hope that he will be gone.  If you have any question as to where AU BB stands in the administration's mind consider this:  Would we have stood by while the football team had horrible records for 5 seasons?  I don't think so.

Well i can tell you one thing and don't take this the wrong way but I can tell you one thing......the main reason we are struggling as a team is because of recruiting......as we all know recruiting is the most important factor in college sports......its been very, very tough for Coach Lebo to recruit b/c of the limitations......first of all he came into a mess and when i say a mess i mean a terrible mess that Coach Ellis left......he was left with very little schollys left, very little players with experience, NO players that wanted to play for Lebo when he got here (it has taken him atleast 3 years to get players that were willing to play for him, if you really think about it: this is the first year that he has actually had a team that wanted to play for him) very little hope for greatness here at Auburn.......and last but NOT least he is gonna have a very, very hard time recruiting in the state of Alabama, which is very rich in basketball talent every year, as long as the AAU coach is still coaching the team.......he can't have any contact with all the All-Stars on that team b/c the coach will point them toward Alabama, UAB, and other schools before Auburn......someone do me a favor and take a look at Auburns roster and tell me how many players are from the state of Alabama......4 total players from the state of Alabama and 2 of them are walk-ons,  the other 2 being a true freshman that has lots of talent in Frankie Sullivan, and JUCO transfer that has been out several times Johnnie Lett.....another thought: take a look at SPUAT and see how many in state players they have had since Lebo has been here at Auburn, just think of how many are playing in the NBA now, Alabama has 8 out of 12 players from the state of Alabama if you count Ronald Steele.....all I ask is the next time you want to ask for Auburn to fire Lebo, sit back and think about if you were in his shoes!! Last but not least WAR EAGLE!!

There has to be a way to appeal this AAU deal...Surely someone is bright and litigious enough down there to find a way around or through this matter...If we truly have a commitment to men's basketball, then make it happen!

Well there isn't a way around dealing with the AAU team.....the head coach is still there that Coach Ellis got in trouble with and Auburn CAN NOT have any contact with him AT ALL!!!

It still doesn't make sense that he gets to continue being involved with AAU...Someone with the proper gumption and wherewithal could approach it from that angle...And, for those of faith, I just said a prayer that he would either resign or somehow be removed...

I am sorry if this sounds ignorant, but what is this story about the AAU coach?  I have never heard about it.  Can you point me in the direction of the story?  How can one university be so penalized and the other instate school reap the benefits?

I totally agree that it all starts and ends with recruiting.  I just don't see where Lebo is getting any decent recruits.

i hate to rehash this stuff but briefly, what happened to AU basketball under Ellis? what is AAU basketball? Sorry that I need to be brought up to speed...

Everything you said Sportstalk, could be firm ground to stand on and say Lebo shouldn't be fired....... until you go and watch his team play.... We are talking about 5 years. I know I really never gave him chance from the start, but dang. Finding players, coaching fundamentals (FREETHROWS!) those are all the coaches responsibility.

Hey I totally understand about the Free Throws i really do......that is a HUGE problem and that comes down to coaching but i have seen them shoot free throws a ton in practice and i have seen Lebo and other assistant coaches coach them on how to shoot free throws better but its not getting any better......the only thing that bothers me about this team is consistency.....its horrible! one night they will play and then the next they won't and that definitely comes down to coaching.....all i can say is whatever happens.....happens! but i know one thing if they make a coaching change after this year look for mediocre years to come unless they bring in a HUGE name because of recruiting

Thanks for all of your opinions sporttalk.  It just makes it seem like an almost lost cause.  Lebo can't recruit therefore we can't win and there isn't much we can do about it.  I am glad we have pulled players from other states, but the desire to win in the SEC is from SEC pride.  This is why it is important to recruit your state well and if not your state at least the area where your conference is located.  I hope things somehow get turned around, I just don't know how it will happen.  This team has to want to win because when they do you see games like we had against Bama this year and when we don't, we all have seen those games by this team.  Good luck Coach Lebo, please get is out of this hole.  :dunno:

i know one thing if they make a coaching change after this year look for mediocre years to come unless they bring in a HUGE name because of recruiting

Haven't we been mired in years of mediocrity?  When was the last time we even made an Not Invited Tournament?

:banghead:

I think the talk of him being fired is ridiculous and shameful, we are 16-9 and working hard to make a tourny bid, why dont we focus on that for now? and let the rest take care of itself... I dont know everything and im not always right, but im a little disappointed in the lack of support for Lebo, considering we are having our best season under him in his era.

If we do make a tourney bid this year... then will yall still want him fired at the end of the year?

New Arena

Great 2010 Recruiting class

Solid core of this years team returning.

Frankie Sullivan

Johnnie Lett

Brandon Knox

Dewayne Reed

Tae Waller

Lucas Hargrove

I dont understand where yall are coming from

I didnt mean to speak towards anybody who was being positive about this... Im as frustrated as the next person, but  maybe I came off a little mean, if so Im sorry, I just dont think firing him at this point is going to fix anything... Im pulling for him even harder then I did for Tuberville... I just think we are lucky to have a coach like Lebo who wants to be at Auburn and has done his best to work with very little. He has dug us out of a huge hole, and we are damn lucky to have a coach like him.

These players do their best, and they have my respect. I know some of them get in trouble here and there, but They are humans like everybody else. weve all made mistakes in our lives.

Who else would have come in and did what lebo has done here? He knew we were dirt when he took the job, and he has done nothing but run a clean program, and has had nothing to work with in recruiting. You wont find another coach whos going to come here and do a better job. I am firm on my beliefs

WAR EAGLE AND GOD BLESS... shock the world auburn, shock the world

Great posts, Guerra.  If you'll notice, I have not wavered in my support in Jeff Lebo and am very proud of what he and the team has done to bounce back from the point that everyone thought he was losing his team to being on the verge of a possible postseason berth.  War Eagle Coach Lebo!  You have my support!!!

While I respect your opinion, Guerra, I can not say I share it.  Lebo has had enough time to turn the corner, and has nothing to show for it.  Ask yourself if you would stand for 5 years of mediocrity and no bowl games from the football team and still support the coach.  (I think just discussing whether he should stay or go, shows how little support the BB program gets.)  I really want to support Lebo, but I just do not see any improvements.  You ask who else would have wanted to come in...I think Cappel was one of the coaches interviewed and he has done pretty well in his 5 years.  I do support the team, and want it to succeed.  I just do not see Lebo being the coach to do that.  I wish I were wrong.  I really like him.

:wedance:

If we make the NCAA tourney, will you still feel the same way? As for the no improvement that you've stated: 16-9 is Lebo's best record since being here...its not magic, but its improvement. The new arena will be improvement also...

Its not like we are going to have a pile of coaching candidates just dying to take the Auburn job. We are lucky Lebo even wants it. If Lebo goes... Say goodbye to Kenny Gabriel, Robert Chub, Earnest Ross, and Andre Malone.

I learned a long long long time ago to be careful what you wish for ... if you guys keep this up ull get what you want, and we can start from dirt poor again! I cant wait!

I give you that this is his best season on the win totals so far, but if you break it down, those are not really good wins.  We don't really have one quality win on the whole schedule.  He is still only 5-5 in the SEC and most of the wins have come against sorry schools, (Tuskegee, Ala St., Tex PanAm, Etc.)  There is no way, even if we win out that we will go to the NCAAs, (unless we win the SEC tourny), because the selection committee looks at quality wins/losses.  I do not see how 5 years into it, we should be satisfied with a 5-5 SEC record. 

I agree we won't have a pile of coaches wanting the position.  We will undoubtedly have to go the same way we did when we hired Lebo and try to find a quality Asst. coach to try to make a name for himself as HC.  Yes it will mean about 2-3 years of mediocrity while the new coach tries to build up the program.  I would rather that happen then see us go another 5 more years with slim to no improvements under Lebo.  I have tried to give him the benefit of the doubt and I wish I could support him.  I do not see him reviving the program.

To answer your first question, if we make the tourney would I still feel the same way?  I would feel the same way.  I don't see where we deserve to go to the NCAAs with the wins we have this year.  I don't think Lebo is the man to get us to where we need to be.

If we don't go again this year, will you still feel the same way?  I am careful in what I wish for AU.  I wish for a quality coach who can recruit and coach us to where we should be.  I wish Lebo was that coach, but I don't see it.

:wedance:

I promise I am not trying to be an a**, but if you understand basketball then you understand that Lebo is a good coach.  Plain and simple.  His luck has been terrible and he has had to dig this team out of a huge hole.  The AAU thing is HUGE!  That has held him back more than anything and will be over with in a few months.  He brought in a pretty good class this year and will be bringing in an even better one next year.  The next few years should be interesting if he is retained.

Archived