Ok Mac-fanatics, I'm in

jared52

Well, I got talked into getting a Mac and for my job its great. I love iMovie but I want more titles and transitions. I found some (pay of course) that are cool so that's settled. Now, what other software do you guys recommend. I'm not looking for anything specific, just some recommendations (outside Photoshop, I am WELL aware of it!). What do you have as far had hardware. I got a 1.25 Ghz eMac with 512MB of RAM.

Jed! I see you are still hanging on. Good to see a post from you...you ARE still alive! :D

By the way, this is Will, and no...I know nothing about what you are looking for.

Well, I got talked into getting a Mac and for my job its great.  I love iMovie but I want more titles and transitions.  I found some (pay of course) that are cool so that's settled.  Now, what other software do you guys recommend.  I'm not looking for anything specific, just some recommendations (outside Photoshop, I am WELL aware of it!).  What do you have as far had hardware.  I got a 1.25 Ghz eMac with 512MB of RAM.

When did you purchase you Mac? Reason I ask is that the next step up in terms of video editing software is Final Cut Express. It's a more basic version of the top of the line Final Cut Pro. Express retails for $299, which is a good price for those wanting more than iMovie gives them. But if you purchased your Mac after June 28th, Apple is offering it for $99:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...6.10.3.9.1.13.0

What kind of stuff do you want to do? That will help in software recommendations. Also, allow me to introduce you to two sites:

VersionTracker

MacUpdate

All kinds of great freeware, shareware, etc. I'd go to one of those and download Carbon Copy Cloner. It's a freeware app that perfect for backing up your entire hard drive.

Programs I use regularly are the Adobe Creative Suite (includes GoLive, Photoshop, Acrobat, Illustrator and InDesign). It's a good deal purchased all together. Microsoft Office for Mac is good for obvious reasons. If you're using the eMac for business, Office is one of those "have to have" things. But don't use Entourage for email. The Apple Mail program that came with the system is much faster and has an infinitely better junk mail filter. Same goes for web browsing. Keep IE around for that once in a blue moon site that only works with it, other than that, use Safari. You'll thank me later.

Also, if you have any education connections, Apple gives good discounts on software and hardware for educators. Office is a really big savings in particular.

My iMac is an 800mhz G4, flat panel version with 256MB of RAM. Sounds old in the Intel world of the megahertz myth, but it is quite spry and would only be more so if I maxed out the RAM. But having kiddos drains the play money, y'know?

Jared, come back from the Dark Side!!!!!!!!!!

Wannabe is a MAc user too. I still love her though... ;)

Very much...

The Dark Side!? :angryfire:

C'mon man, you know your life would be easier if you'd switch. ;)

Yeah as long as you don't want to play games or write code! ;)

BG :poke: Titan haha...i figured we had to argue about something...you and i have been doing way too much agreeing these days! :D

The Dark Side!?  :angryfire:

C'mon man, you know your life would be easier if you'd switch.  ;)

Yeah as long as you don't want to play games or write code! ;)

BG :poke: Titan haha...i figured we had to argue about something...you and i have been doing way too much agreeing these days! :D

Bite me. :lol:

If you're really into gaming on your computer, Winblows does have more games, though most of the best ones get ported to Mac as well. Personally, I'd rather use my PlayStation 2 for that.

And BG, I could introduce you to some folks who would show you the error of your ways on the code-writing thing. That's not some exclusive domain of unstable, security flaw ridden operating systems you know. ;)

Welcome to the Mac World!

I only use a Mac at work these days. We use the basic programs - Adobe Illustrator, Freehand, Photoshop, and Quark if I have to!

And I guess if my husband really loved me, he'd buy me a new fancy Mac for home! My IMac, which is one of the earlier ones, is only used these days to play a cd every now and then in Ethan's room! I guess it's been awhile since I even turned it on for that!

I'm Green with Envy!

Jed! I see you are still hanging on. Good to see a post from you...you ARE still alive! :D

By the way, this is Will, and no...I know nothing about what you are looking for.

Yeah man, I haven't been here lately.

As for the other stuff. I can't see getting Photoshop anytime soon. It's $1000. I would love Final Cut, but I got my Mac back in April.

I'm not even sure what else I need, I mostly wanted to announce I got a Mac, and I love it!

A cheap alternative to Photoshop that allows you to view, edit, convert most image formats: Graphic Converter. It's one of the most popular shareware programs out there and it's only $30:

GraphicConverter

One other thought...it would never hurt to call Apple and see if they would give you the same deal. I've heard they are sometimes flexible on stuff like that. All they can say is no.

Archived