Lebo Comments

AuburnTigers1

35-60 in the SEC over the past 6 years. You do the math. It shouldn't even be a question of DO we need new leadership with our basketball program, it is a question of WHO should we get. Again, let me sum up for those who don't quite understand- 6 years. Won 35 conference games. Lost 60 conference games. 0 appearances in NCAA tourney. Why would anyone expect anything different than what we have already seen time and time again? I don't like coaching changes, but this one is a no brainer.

this is the bottom line

but

go lebo  :tease:

whos going to come in and do better... thats all im asking?

sure you have all these nice names on your list... but realistically speaking... are any other coaches going to leave their stable programs to come here?

I think lebo stays... but thats just me

this is most likely the reality

who's going to come in and do better... that's all I'm asking?

sure you have all these nice names on your list... but realistically speaking... are any other coaches going to leave their stable programs to come here?

I think lebo stays... but that's just me

Just curious, and not a poke at you.  How many unsuccessful seasons will it take till you think he should be replaced?  I respect your "Support whoever is coach no matter what, because I love/support Auburn" mentality; but I am just curious as to what your threshold is on disappointing seasons.

:dunno:

Guest War Eagle 29

CJL is a smart guy and I believe he has the smarts to know what is coming after the SEC Tourny. I think it is best for both he and Auburn that ways be parted now. Auburn because the time is perfect with the new arena. This can be a major "new beginning" push with a new arena and a new coach. For CJL, he has gone as far as his skills will take him at Auburn. Perhaps he can restart his career, much like Cliff Ellis, at a smaller school that is passionate about basketball.

There is a difference between what we would like to see and what we will probably see.  I agree that CJL may be at his limits in coaching ability.  I have not liked the direction of our program since he got there.  So, I would like to see us go in a different direction.  What will probably happen - he will get another year in the new arena to prove himself.  And truthfully, he does have alot of talent coming in, if they all get in school and he doesn't run them off as he has done in the past.

I just don't see how giving Lebo one year in the new arena will help anything. With 5 out of 6 primary players leaving off a bottom tier SEC team, we will again be picked, and will probably end up at or near the bottom next season. Heck, with this train of thought, why not give him several seasons to get it going in the new arena? In other words, what is one season gonna do when we realistically already know the outcome? New arena + new coach= perfect fresh start for a bottom level program with a uninterested fan base. FWIW.

There is a difference between what we would like to see and what we will probably see.  I agree that CJL may be at his limits in coaching ability.  I have not liked the direction of our program since he got there.  So, I would like to see us go in a different direction.  What will probably happen - he will get another year in the new arena to prove himself.  And truthfully, he does have alot of talent coming in, if they all get in school and he doesn't run them off as he has done in the past.

Please, tell us why you think he has a lot of talent coming in.

Well maybe "alot" was an overstatement.  But there is talent coming in.

Shawn Kemp, a 6-foot-10, 215 C from Canton, GA.  Big man who can shoot and rebound.  Much needed inside help.

Heath Houston, a 6-foot-7, 225 F from Powder Springs, GA.  Typical Lebo F a little undersized but strong.

Jalen Steele, a 6-foot-2, 180 G from Knoxville, TN.  One of the top shooters in the nation. Needed w/ Waller leaving.

Anthony Salter, a 5-foot-11 G from Tallahassee, FL.  Rivals #3 rated JC player in the country.  Much needed Point.

Allen Payne, a 6-foot-6, 205 F from Cincinnati, OH.  Another typical Lebo F. 

Adrian Forbes, a 6-foot-8, 230 F from Spanish Town, Jamaica.  Rivals #10 rated JC player in the country. 

He has addressed losses and gotten some much needed inside help.  Two of the Top Ten JC Players, according to Rivals, can't hurt either.

Shawn Kemp, a 6-foot-10, 215 C from Canton, GA.  Big man who can shoot and rebound.  Much needed inside help.

Heath Houston, a 6-foot-7, 225 F from Powder Springs, GA.  Typical Lebo F a little undersized but strong.

Jalen Steele, a 6-foot-2, 180 G from Knoxville, TN.  One of the top shooters in the nation. Needed w/ Waller leaving.

Anthony Salter, a 5-foot-11 G from Tallahassee, FL.  Rivals #3 rated JC player in the country.  Much needed Point.

Allen Payne, a 6-foot-6, 205 F from Cincinnati, OH.   Another typical Lebo F. 

Adrian Forbes, a 6-foot-8, 230 F from Spanish Town, Jamaica.   Rivals #10 rated JC player in the country. 

He has addressed losses and gotten some much needed inside help.  Two of the Top Ten JC Players, according to Rivals, can't hurt either.

Have any of these players already signed?

Adrian Forbes, a 6-foot-8, 230 F from Spanish Town, Jamaica.   Rivals #10 rated JC player in the country. 

All are signed.

You are not alone. Hang in there. Auburn is not now, nor have we ever been, in a position to hire all of these "top" coaches everybody would love to hire. It won't happen. Look back at the history of Auburn basketball and you will see that we have never hired a big name basketball coach. The best we ever had was Joel Eaves and he was an assistant football coach too. Sonny Smith came from a small college and made funny jokes about being told not to take the wheels of his trailer.

None of these players get a rating about 88 from Scout. 

Compared to other Lebo signing classes it is above average, don't you think?  If you go back and read my original post in this thread, you will see that I agree with you.  I am only saying because he has one year left on his contract; he runs a clean program; he has a decent recruiting class with a couple more spots (I think); and JJ likes him, he will open the new arena as HC.  He wouldn't be my choice but he may be the best we can do.      

You are not alone. Hang in there. Auburn is not now, nor have we ever been, in a position to hire all of these "top" coaches everybody would love to hire. It won't happen. Look back at the history of Auburn basketball and you will see that we have never hired a big name basketball coach. The best we ever had was Joel Eaves and he was an assistant football coach too. Sonny Smith came from a small college and made funny jokes about being told not to take the wheels of his trailer.

It doesn't take a Coach K to teach the fundamentals of basketball. My fourth grade rec coach can prepare and coach the team better than Lebo does. And, I'm not one of the folks talking about getting a coach from a top 25 team or what not. I think a reasonable idea is to grab an assitant off of a sloid team and take a chance with him.

Plain and simple, if Lebo is the best AU can do, our basketball program will never be anything but YMCA. I, however, choose to believe we can do better at AU than Lebo.

I do believe there is a decent chance Lebo stays because of APR ratings, time remaining on his contract, and the promise that he would one day get a new arena when he came here. I do not want him to stay though. He cannot recruit quality high school players. His top players are JUCO's with only two years of eligibility left and he never can maintain any stability with the turnover rate they create. His record speaks for his coaching ability. I do not know the exact stat of how many times we led at halftime and lost this season but my educated guess would be around 10. He is consistently outcoached during games and his teams play with an undisciplined reckless abandon. As a student at Auburn, he does a miserable job as an ambassador to the program. Winning against Miss. St, Lebo came over and acknowledged the students. This was the first time this year I have seen him make any type of communication or acknowledgment of the people who actually do support Auburn Basketball. When Bruce Pearl came to Tennessee, he embraced the student body and made it fun for the students to be a part of the atmosphere. Lebo has never done anything like that, and as to be expected, the student body is disconnected from the program. The issue is so bad that most students have grown so uninterested in the program, that they really don't care what happens to Lebo. The only way to change the excitement and the optimism of the program is to bring in a fresh driven and excited coach who wants to embrace the family at Auburn University. The young players who are here and have already signed will have the opportunity to learn and develop from a new coach as he is also able to bring in top level talent because of a new stadium and enthusiasm. Waiting a year or two will only damper the excitement the new stadium has created. The time to act is now and I hope that Jay Jacobs takes the initiative he took in Tuberville's firing because he is tired of seeing the stale state our basketball program is under with Coach Jeff Lebo.

All are signed.

Just wondering since people are saying he ha such a nice recruiting class. If all have signed to play then they would be unable to play anywhere else if I'm not mistaken. So would it not make more sense to get a coach who can actually, um, coach them instead the same crap we've seen for the last 6 years?

I do believe there is a decent chance Lebo stays because of APR ratings, time remaining on his contract, and the promise that he would one day get a new arena when he came here. I do not want him to stay though. He cannot recruit quality high school players. His top players are JUCO's with only two years of eligibility left and he never can maintain any stability with the turnover rate they create. His record speaks for his coaching ability. I do not know the exact stat of how many times we led at halftime and lost this season but my educated guess would be around 10. He is consistently outcoached during games and his teams play with an undisciplined reckless abandon. As a student at Auburn, he does a miserable job as an ambassador to the program. Winning against Miss. St, Lebo came over and acknowledged the students. This was the first time this year I have seen him make any type of communication or acknowledgment of the people who actually do support Auburn Basketball. When Bruce Pearl came to Tennessee, he embraced the student body and made it fun for the students to be a part of the atmosphere. Lebo has never done anything like that, and as to be expected, the student body is disconnected from the program. The issue is so bad that most students have grown so uninterested in the program, that they really don't care what happens to Lebo. The only way to change the excitement and the optimism of the program is to bring in a fresh driven and excited coach who wants to embrace the family at Auburn University. The young players who are here and have already signed will have the opportunity to learn and develop from a new coach as he is also able to bring in top level talent because of a new stadium and enthusiasm. Waiting a year or two will only damper the excitement the new stadium has created. The time to act is now and I hope that Jay Jacobs takes the initiative he took in Tuberville's firing because he is tired of seeing the stale state our basketball program is under with Coach Jeff Lebo.

exactly  this is the statement that needs to be on JJ's Desk today!!!!!!!!  :bananadance:

All are signed.

Just wondering since people are saying he ha such a nice recruiting class. If all have signed to play then they would be unable to play anywhere else if I'm not mistaken. So would it not make more sense to get a coach who can actually, um, coach them instead the same crap we've seen for the last 6 years?

this x100000000

If Auburn sucks so bad we cant go out and hire a DA&N decent coach, I say shut the D*m@ BB program down. Auburn can and should get a top rated coach. This, "we cant get a good coach" is BS!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Archived