Lebo Comments

AuburnTigers1

I just read through a couple of lines on Philip Marshall's article on Auburn Undercover. It was about Lebo and his status with the program. Lebo stated that he "hoped" he had the support of the administration. He also said he was sure that he and Jacobs would sit down and talk about things after the season is over. He also said he thought that we were better. He didn't say what "better" was being compared too. As in previous teams he's had at Auburn or we are better this week than we were last week. Sounds to me like he knows the seat he sits in everyday is hot.

I know you do. I've read about every single post you've written on the subject. I will give you credit for sticking in his corner no matter what. I think part of it is you are just a super nice guy and you don't want to see people get ran off. Again, very commendable! Unfortunately, this is a business. I think Lebo is a great guy. He's just not the guy for Auburn. If I thought for one second he could take us to the big time, I would love to keep him. I just don't see where he's shown to be able to do it.

I want him to come back... too bad the rest of the fan base disagrees with me. but its life

I am with you guerra

If Lebo is given another year, what's the stipulation for retaining him after next?

Must win SEC tournament? :dunno:

Must make it to the NCAA tournament?  :dunno:

I think the expectations would be to great and you would end up firing next year anyway...I don't have the answer. :dunno: 

I want him to come back... too bad the rest of the fan base disagrees with me. but its life

I am with you guerra

If Jay Jacobs wants us to have a mediocre at best basketball program with an occasional NIT appearance then by all means keep Jeff Lebo. But I want us to have a great basketball program and to do that, the first step needs to be to fire Jeff Lebo. Now I understand that we will never have a program on the level of Kentucky, Duke, UNC, UCLA, Kansas, etc. but if Mississippi State (although we did beat them the other night) can consistently win 20+ games and consistently make the tournament ('02, '03, '04, '05, '08, '09) then we should make the tournament at least once every 5 years.

35-60 in the SEC but if you want him back, more power to you.

Lebo gets paid for winning games. Well guess what, he's had 6 years and he hasn't been winning the way he should be by this time.

Lebo gets paid for winning games. Well guess what, he's had 6 years and he hasn't been winning the way he should be by this time.

amen to that

Guys, unless somebody can go sit on the stool and crap out some quality basketball players between now and next season, we are in danger  of having a  worse team next year than we had this year (this year being just under average.)  Look at the facts:

1. 90% of our scoring the past few games, and most of the year have come from seniors...

2. Who is going to make this up...

3. Our defense is horrible; I can't ever recall seeing so many opposing players just drive the ball

straight to the basket pretty much uncontested (pitiful)  Not bashing, just stating facts...

4. No big man that can consistently play defense and offense, like most of the other teams have..

What do you have to build on???????????

I agree! Especially with the defense. If I have to watch Hargrove stand there and watch a 5' 10" guard go right past him for a lay up again....

Here is what you guys need to do. Since Lebo has won basically 50% of his games at Auburn, go tell your boss that for the next 6 years you are going to do well 50% of the time and not so well 50% of the time. See what your boss says. I know it's not a complete science, but you know what I'm getting at!

I can see reasons to keep and to fire Lebo, but he can't be judged just on wins and loses. If anyone on here truly knows basketball then they can see how well this team has been playing. The problem with this team is talent not coaching. Now I know some will say "well it's the coaches responsibility to recruit talent" and you would be correct in saying that. I would ask you to take a look at the facilities. They have more than once been ranked in the top 10 worst in the country. Take any coach (-the top 5-6 in the country) and put him in that situation and lets see how much better than Lebo he could do. This new arena will pay huge dividends early on (it already has look at this years class) and if we can start winning (which I think we can do) then we will continue to recruit well. So long story short, don't judge Lebo just on wins and loses...look at all of the handcuffs he was fighting through.  

Have any of you really watched all of the games and do you understand bball? Yes the seniors scored most of the points and didn't play d, but the younger guys on the team are going to be good. They have really been getting a lot of minutes lately and some have stepped up nicely. Ross is going to be a defensive stopper next year. We will also have an inside game next year with kemp Jr.

Here is what you guys need to do. Since Lebo has won basically 50% of his games at Auburn, go tell your boss that for the next 6 years you are going to do well 50% of the time and not so well 50% of the time. See what your boss says. I know it's not a complete science, but you know what I'm getting at!

Very good point....Think about if your boss only gave you 33% of what you needed to do your job, would you still want to be judged the same way?

I am with you guerra

If Jay Jacobs wants us to have a mediocre at best basketball program with an occasional NIT appearance then by all means keep Jeff Lebo. But I want us to have a great basketball program and to do that, the first step needs to be to fire Jeff Lebo. Now I understand that we will never have a program on the level of Kentucky, Duke, UNC, UCLA, Kansas, etc. but if Mississippi State (although we did beat them the other night) can consistently win 20+ games and consistently make the tournament ('02, '03, '04, '05, '08, '09) then we should make the tournament at least once every 5 years.

35-60 in the SEC but if you want him back, more power to you.

this and

Have any of you really watched all of the games and do you understand bball? Yes the seniors scored most of the points and didn't play d, but the younger guys on the team are going to be good. They have really been getting a lot of minutes lately and some have stepped up nicely. Ross is going to be a defensive stopper next year. We will also have an inside game next year with kemp Jr.

this

Yes I do watch and I know a little something about basketball too. The major problem I have with Lebo is not the talent (although we are definitely behind everyone else), but it is with fundamentals, and his lack of coaching in general. We never block out, NEVER, that is like rule number 1. We seem to know only one play - some version of a high screen at the top of the key (not to mention the picker never rolls). Lebo continually disappoints me with his play selection or lack of in last possession type situations. The plays he draws up never work and usually result in a turnover or a terrible off-balance fade away three. I could keep going on and on, but I just want to show that this isn't about W's and L's. This guy just isn't getting the job done, and IMO it is best for us to cut ties with him now before we lose our best lure for another coach. 

I've watched all the games that we were on tv. More times then not, they have been very painful to watch all the way through.

You know I have been aggravated with the Basketball program for several years now, but I have to admit I agree with you 110%. We have a clean program and Lebo is a class act. I personally would like to see us have some big men under the goal. The past couple of years we lost non confrence games we should have easily won and just like last we seem to get a liitle burst to late in the season. I would like to see him return.

I have played basketball for years and have watched many games as I am a student here, Lebo is a great guy but as some previous posters have said he lacks fundamentals i learned when i was in grade school!  No boxing out, No defense, no set up plays at all.  Vs. Ole Miss at home me and some friends counted and we only ran 7 plays all game!  If it was talent alone then we would be on the right track but i doubt Lebo could win 25 games with a final 4 team.  The team we have now has potential, they are just not coached the way they should be.  I love the guy but his coaching is just pathetic.  He also rarely shows emotion on the sideline and its translates into the players intensity

35-60 in the SEC over the past 6 years. You do the math. It shouldn't even be a question of DO we need new leadership with our basketball program, it is a question of WHO should we get. Again, let me sum up for those who don't quite understand- 6 years. Won 35 conference games. Lost 60 conference games. 0 appearances in NCAA tourney. Why would anyone expect anything different than what we have already seen time and time again? I don't like coaching changes, but this one is a no brainer.

go lebo  :tease:

whos going to come in and do better... thats all im asking?

sure you have all these nice names on your list... but realistically speaking... are any other coaches going to leave their stable programs to come here?

I think lebo stays... but thats just me

sure you have all these nice names on your list... but realistically speaking... are any other coaches going to leave their stable programs to come here?

Ha, I love it! Stay strong my brotha! :thumbsup:

Ha, I love it! Stay strong my brotha! :thumbsup:

oh I will my man!

Archived