Was Lebo promised a chance to coach in new arena?

Tiger Growlin

I would say the simple answer yes based on the fact that he has 3 years left on his contract. Yeah I know contracts can be terminated but to this point it hasn't. So common sense says the promise was made through the contract.

I doubt if the statement "You are guaranteed a chance to coach in the new arena" was ever made or even implied. That doesn't make any sense.

"We are building a new arena, use that info to recruit" is likely as close as it ever came.

Guerra, has he earned that right in the last 6 years?

Its not my decision. It wont matter what I think anyway. Do I think he deserves a chance? Yes I do.

I don't think we are going to get that much better of a coach. Are we going to whip out the check book and go get a big name coach? I doubt it.

All I know is that we will have to wait and see... there is not much else we can do. We can make our cases all day long about why he does deserve to stay or why he doesn't. Its not going to matter much because the decision is not ultimately left up to the fans.

I will trust JJ to do what he thinks is right, and I will support him no matter what... because I love Auburn period.

Please dont respond with a bunch of babble about how Lebo doesnt deserve to stay, I know all the reasons and I know a good bit about the team. I have been just as disappointed as all of you.

Im simply saying that in a few weeks, you will all get your answer. Until then im going to watch my Tigers upset Florida in the Tourney tonight.

WAR DAMN EAGLE

The reason I asked that question wasn't so I could jump on you for your answer.

Its all good man, I am simply saying that just because I believe he "deserves" a shot to coach in it doesnt mean that he should.

Its complicated, I like Lebo and I like Basketball... I guess I may be holding on to the hope that the New Arena will help get this thing turned around.

I just know that in 2-3 weeks, we will have a final answer for his return or departure, I think im going to just wait patiently and see what happens.

I am always open minded when it comes to discussing sports... there is always a new question to be asked or a new point to be made. Thats what makes it fun.

If I believe Lebo should stay, I will state my reasons in a simple manner, and always keep the "possibility" option open, because we all know that nothing is written in stone.

I do think he should stay, but if he is let go, I completely understand... and I get where you guys are coming from

I understand. Obviously, I've been one of the biggest Anti-Lebo guys on this board. If he did get another year, I would be upset, but what can I do about it. Yes I can piss and moan, but it's not going to do any good. All I can do is get behind him and hope that next year will be better. Ultimately I just want to be classy and competitive. Anything over and above that is a bonus.

I understand. Obviously, I've been one of the biggest Anti-Lebo guys on this board. If he did get another year, I would be upset, but what can I do about it. Yes I can piss and moan, but it's not going to do any good. All I can do is get behind him and hope that next year will be better. Ultimately I just want to be classy and competitive. Anything over and above that is a bonus.

hey staying classy is never a bad thing... lets get behind the guys tonight and try and beat Florida.

I'm ridin with guerra on this one.  There are reasons to let Lebo go and there are reasons to let him stay.  He has a top 5 class coming in and my guess is that it is in part due to the new arena and early playing time.  I say give him a year, maybe two, and see what happens.  I also have a hard time believing that we can do better given the history of mediocrity in our bball program.  Whoever the coach is next year will have my support!!  BEAT FLORIDA!!

LoL there are so many "Fire Lebo"  "Let Lebo have another year" threads I have probably posted his record and my opinion over 15 times!!! But here i'll post it again

Overall Record- 96-92 (.5106)

SEC Record -36-61  (.3711)

Who cares what excuses you can make, would you want Bama to have this record coach??

The answer would be YES!!!!!  That's why we have to let him go

Firing Coach LEBO right now would likely kill any excitement for the move to the new arena unless the administration pulls off a great hire very quickly, which I doubt would happen.  The more likely thing that would happen is a certain prominent alum (who hosts NBA shows on TNT) would make public statements about how we should only hire a minority coach and if we don't (which I think we would if he were the best candidate) would make an ugly scene.

Sure, he can coach in the new arena. Whenever he gets with another team, He could bring his new team to come play us some day.

Every time I hear or read someone say "Lebo should get another year", I remember a lot people kept saying the very same thing about Tuberville. "Give Tubs one more year." Look how that ended up.

Every time I hear or read someone say "Lebo should get another year", I remember a lot people kept saying the very same thing about Tuberville. "Give Tubs one more year." Look how that ended up.

Huh?

If that promise was made then the idiot that made it ought to be fired.

Agreed. Why on earth does Lebo's contract run through 2013? Who would extend Lebo's contract that far in advance. If I recall correctly, the contract was extend back in either 2007 or 2008. This is a big reason why I question Jay Jacobs.

The Tennessean here in Nashville did a survey of Southeastern sports writers to launch the tournament in Nashville.  We didn't fare too well; voted the worst fans in the SEC (saidwe just didn't care about BBall, Lebo was votedmost likely to be fired , and Beard-Eaves the worst venue and should be demolished.  Tony Barnhardt noted that was about to happen.  Not good PR for our proud university.  Go see the poll at the tennessean.com.

Promises, promises, Even if this was wrote in to his contract Coaching is like any other job. Produce or be fired.

He might be a great coach but he's not a great coach at Auburn. In that respect, It doesn't matter what promises were made about a new stadium, If you can't do you job then we should find someone else who can. who that may be I dn't have any clue. I'm also not the person to make that decision. So I will sit back and see what happens.

Relax guys, JJ will do what he thinks is best for Auburn.

Archived