Possible Early Candidates *Updated 9:30am 3-19-10*

AUSportTalk

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/03/tubby-smith-on-auburn-rumors-im-looking-forward-to-coming-back-to-minnesota/1

Tubby said after they lost today that he was looking foward to coming back to Minnesota. Sounds like coach-speak to me! It's been rumored that we have offered him $2 million! I personally don't buy it! That's ALOT of money and almost as much as Chiz makes! I guess we'll see soon enough!  :dunno:

He hasn't been offered anything as of this afternoon.  JJ has not even asked the Minn. AD for permission to talk to him.  JJ will do it by the book so he would not ask until the season was over.   Now, that does not mean that Tubby's agent hasn't been contacted to gauge his interest.  If that happened, I doubt any numbers were tossed around.   

my friend im afraid this could be a crazy one... im sure we will see a lot of names get thrown around

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know how much we will be willing to pay our new coach?  I somehow do not think that there is a coach out there that is a basketball copy of Gene Chizik.  I do know that we should be ready to pull out the checkbook to get a quality coach. It only makes sense to land a proven coach that can come in and fill the new arena. Wouldn't it be nice to have all of our sports on par with our swimming team.

Does anyone know how much we will be willing to pay our new coach?  I somehow do not think that there is a coach out there that is a basketball copy of Gene Chizik.  I do know that we should be ready to pull out the checkbook to get a quality coach. It only makes sense to land a proven coach that can come in and fill the new arena. Wouldn't it be nice to have all of our sports on par with our swimming team.

Im going to lay it down in just a few simple words guys... "We need to open up the checkbook"

im afraid we wont do it, and will get the same result.

Nick Saban: almost 4 million a year = national title for Alabama

John Calapari: 30-2 at Kentucky and they are poised for a title run... hes making what about 3.3 million? more than some football coaches? or most

If Auburn basketball wants to win games and compete for championships... spend a little money

I think hed do a pretty good job.

JJ has a tough decision on his hands... his job is not easy

Glad its not me. Jay is such a great guy though. He will do whats best for us

I keep reading on this and other threads that several people want Chuck Person as our next head coach!? May I ask why?  :dunno: :dunno: For anyone who knows anything about basketball, this is a VERY legit question!! He has N-E-V-E-R been a head coach at A-N-Y level!!! Maybe he coached his kids in little league or something, but that's it! I got jumped on for wanting us to hire a former NBA HEAD COACH OF THE YEAR!!! I just don't understand why anyone would want that for our program!!!!??? It completely baffles me! And to those of you who say "we can't pay the basketball coach more than the football coach"... SAYS WHO? What the heck difference does it make? Don't you want to be like Florida or even Tennessee? Billy Donovan makes $3.5 million as opposed to Urban Meyer's $4 million... not much difference there! Bruce Pearl makes $2.5 million, as opposed to Derek Dooley's $1.8 million! Why can't we compete with these guys? Wanna know a few more, well what about Ohio State? Thad Matta makes $2.5 million, as opposed to Jim Tressel's $3.5 million! West Virginia's Bob Huggins makes $2 million, Bill Stewart? $800,000! Heck, even the turds just forked over $1.83 million for Virginia Commonwealth's coach!  ::) Making him the 14th highest paid coach in the nation and the 4th highest in the SEC!!! Can't we do better than Anthony Grant?  :dunno: I think we can and we should!!! We should at least be willing to go to $2 million, if that's what it takes to get a TOP-NOTCH guy! Just think how cool it would be to be dominating in FOOTBALL and BASKETBALL every year in a year or two, instead of not having anything to get excited about every year when football season ends! :-\

:we:THE TIME IS NOW!!! DON'T LET US DOWN, JJ!!! :we:

I keep reading on this and other threads that several people want Chuck Person as our next head coach!? May I ask why?  :dunno: :dunno: For anyone who knows anything about basketball, this is a VERY legit question!! He has N-E-V-E-R been a head coach at A-N-Y level!!! Maybe he coached his kids in little league or something, but that's it! I got jumped on for wanting us to hire a former NBA HEAD COACH OF THE YEAR!!! I just don't understand why anyone would want that for our program!!!!??? It completely baffles me! And to those of you who say "we can't pay the basketball coach more than the football coach"... SAYS WHO? What the heck difference does it make? Don't you want to be like Florida or even Tennessee? Billy Donovan makes $3.5 million as opposed to Urban Meyer's $4 million... not much difference there! Bruce Pearl makes $2.5 million, as opposed to Derek Dooley's $1.8 million! Why can't we compete with these guys? Wanna know a few more, well what about Ohio State? Thad Matta makes $2.5 million, as opposed to Jim Tressel's $3.5 million! West Virginia's Bob Huggins makes $2 million, Bill Stewart? $800,000! Heck, even the turds just forked over $1.83 million for Virginia Commonwealth's coach!  ::) Making him the 14th highest paid coach in the nation and the 4th highest in the SEC!!! Can't we do better than Anthony Grant?  :dunno: I think we can and we should!!! We should at least be willing to go to $2 million, if that's what it takes to get a TOP-NOTCH guy! Just think how cool it would be to be dominating in FOOTBALL and BASKETBALL every year in a year or two, instead of not having anything to get excited about every year when football season ends! :-\

I think the longer it takes, the better it looks for Auburn. I want JJ to take his time and get the right guy... So far it seems like hes doing just that.

I do agree that if we want a championship... we will have to spend a little money, and that may not happen

I don`t really care what another school pays one coach versus another. We need to spend what we can afford and not break the bank at Auburn. I`m sure that is more than we paid Lebo. And so far I`ve haven`t seen where some of the schools(bammer) are getting their moneys worth on a b-ball coach.

I don`t really care what another school pays one coach versus another. We need to spend what we can afford and not break the bank at Auburn. I`m sure that is more than we paid Lebo. And so far I`ve haven`t seen where some of the schools(bammer) are getting their moneys worth on a b-ball coach.

Check the revenue thread and you will see exactly that. Expenses versus revenue. Our program is not in the red.

Check the revenue thread and you will see exactly that. Expenses versus revenue. Our program is not in the red.

Agreed; looks like the money is there to move up.

Yeah, Barbee my first choice after his team got drilled by Butler in the first round on Thursay. I'm not sayin' he's not a good coach, but I would take Tubby or Anderson over him in a heartbeat.

Trust me, we could pay the new coach $3 million and not "break the bank"! Depending on who they can get, the powers that be at AU could come up with the cash, NO PROBLEM!!! Also, I hate giving the turds credit, but I think they've proven that if you're willing to pay for a good coach, you'll get a return on your investment! Grant is a good coach, as bad as I hate to admit it! :-\

Trust me, we could pay the new coach $3 million and not "break the bank"! Depending on who they can get, the powers that be at AU could come up with the cash, NO PROBLEM!!! Also, I hate giving the turds credit, but I think they've proven that if you're willing to pay for a good coach, you'll get a return on your investment! Grant is a good coach, as bad as I hate to admit it! :-\

If we are only paying Chizik $2,100,000, Auburn sure isn`t going to pay a basketball coach $3,000,000 and I hope to heck we don`t. That would be sure idiocy on our part. As far as I`m concerned there isn`t a coach out there worth that amount of money. And to me the jury is still out on Grant. Time will tell.

If we are only paying Chizik $2,100,000, Auburn sure isn`t going to pay a basketball coach $3,000,000 and I hope to heck we don`t. That would be sure idiocy on our part. As far as I`m concerned there isn`t a coach out there worth that amount of money. And to me the jury is still out on Grant. Time will tell.

I didn't say we SHOULD pay $3 million for a coach... I said we COULD (meaning the money is there)!! Big difference! But while we're at it... you wouldn't pay John Calipari or Roy Williams $3 million? Well, we'd be crazy not too! Kentucky got sick of losing, so look what they did... they paid the best coach in the business $4 million a year and they are currently 33-2 and are beating Wake Forest by 30 as I'm typing! :o That's what a good coach does for you! We can get a VERY good coach for $2 million! ;) I just hope JJ gets it right!

:we:

Mike Anderson is who Auburn needs. I would take him over T Smith any day, sorry. Anderson can really coach some B-Ball. If there is a real chance to get him, Auburn would be really dumb not do what it takes to get him. The unfortunate thing is, Anderson will probably be the hardest to draw away from the his current team. One thing that Auburn does have going for itself is the new B-Ball arena. This bad boy is sweet. I spent many months detailing the steel framework for this building. If you haven't seen it already, you can get a digital tour of it from the official Auburn website.

Mike Anderson is who Auburn needs. I would take him over T Smith any day, sorry. Anderson can really coach some B-Ball. If there is a real chance to get him, Auburn would be really dumb not do what it takes to get him. The unfortunate thing is, Anderson will probably be the hardest to draw away from the his current team. One thing that Auburn does have going for itself is the new B-Ball arena. This bad boy is sweet. I spent many months detailing the steel framework for this building. If you haven't seen it already, you can get a digital tour of it from the official Auburn website.

^^^^^^^^THANK YOU^^^^^^^^^^^^. Been saying the same thing since we fired Lebo. Anderson will bring excitement to the program (not the Tubby couldn't), but we need a coach that will be here for 10-15 years (tubby will be gone in 5).

^^^^^^^^THANK YOU^^^^^^^^^^^^. Been saying the same thing since we fired Lebo. Anderson will bring excitement to the program (not the Tubby couldn't), but we need a coach that will be here for 10-15 years (tubby will be gone in 5).

You bring up a great point. Anderson has OUTSTANDING character as a person and only amplifies this as a coach. If Auburn could, at whatever cost, get this guy it would be SO so sweet. This guy is more than just a B-Ball coach. Very similar to what Chizik brings to the football team.

Has Anderson won a National title? ....

Tubby has... he might be there for only 5 years but those 5 years would be the key to getting the bball program headed in the right direction.

i like both anderson and tubby

Tubby has... he might be there for only 5 years but those 5 years would be the key to getting the bball program headed in the right direction.

Bobby Bowden has won a national title, I guess he could be our next football coach. The past is the past, we fired Lebo for the future.

I do like Tubby Smith, no doubt. BUT....Mike Anderson would with no doubt be a better fit for Auburn. This guy brings a SICK element to B-Ball that T Smith doesnt bring. You might should remember that T Smith won a N Championship in his early years. Once the other teams caught up to his coaching philosophy, he was fired from KY. The SEC basketball teams still haven't found an answer to Mike Anderson. Also, until today, the last 1 seed to lose in the NCAA tournament to lose in the first weekend was KY........to who.......UAB..........coached by Mike Anderson. Who was the coach of the KY team.............Tubby Smith. Next question please.

Archived