Possible Early Candidates *Updated 9:30am 3-19-10*

AUSportTalk

Please, NO MIKE DAVIS! Jacobs wouldn't dare. He would never hear the end of it. Plus he played at Bama, yuck.

i agree. mike davis and charles barkley are supposedly freinds.. hopefully charles dosent try to pull any strings for  davis and his shatty offense

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mitchell's bio looks impressive.

Success in college, pros and coaching.

Many contacts in the pros, high energy and a local at that.

Nice homecoming option

Hiring either Haith or Davis would make me physically ill. The thought that either are being even remotely considered makes me a little sick to my stomach.

^^^^^^This x's 999,999,999,999,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Barbee and Mitchell would both be good choices. Scott Drew as well, though I doubt that he's available.

Mike Davis has no business around Auburn basketball. I hope TPTB haven't forgotten what Davis did to Auburn six years ago, re: Killingsworth & co.

Mike Anderson needs to stay at Mizzou or anywhere else that's not within 100 miles of Auburn.

As for the guy at Miami: WHY? I don't understand why his name even came up.

Coach Barbee at UTEP on the surface sure looks like someone that could/should get consideration.  From what I read, he has had steady imporvement at UTEP, he is a very good recruiter, plays an up tempo game that fans seem to like and also has a salary of less than $250,000/year.  One of the local politicians there seems to be trying to get community support to help with the salary in order to keep him at UTEP.  Since some of our football coaches have some Texas connections I wonder if any of them have any connections with Coach Barbee?  UTEP lost in the final round of the CUSA championship but still have a chance to make the NCAA tournament.

Please, NO MIKE DAVIS! Jacobs wouldn't dare. He would never hear the end of it. Plus he played at Bama, yuck.

i agree. mike davis and charles barkley are supposedly freinds.. hopefully charles dosent try to pull any strings for  davis and his shatty offense

I'm not so sure Charles has any strings left to pull...

Davis will almost certainly not get the job because hiring a guy who played at Alabama would be suicide for Jacobs. My vote goes to Anderson based on both his success and his familiarity with the recruiting area from his days in the Ham, but Barbee certainly seems like a great choice as well. The dude with the AAU connections sounds promising, too.

Davis will almost certainly not get the job because hiring a guy who played at Alabama would be suicide for Jacobs. My vote goes to Anderson based on both his success and his familiarity with the recruiting area from his days in the Ham, but Barbee certainly seems like a great choice as well. The dude with the AAU connections sounds promising, too.

I think Anderson will be too expensive. I think he making 1.6 million currently. No way JJ forks that kind of cash out.

I think Anderson will be too expensive. I think he making 1.6 million currently. No way JJ forks that kind of cash out.

I went ahead and fixed your post so that it didn't look like you just reposted my quote, hope that's ok...

As for forking out the cash, maybe not that much, I don't know, but he seems to be committed to turning Auburn basketball around. I guess we'll find out, huh?

Just for a reference....

Last year Georgia offered Anderson 2.1 mill per year on a multi year contract and he turned that down.

I think JJ will be looking for the right man for the job. The right man and the most expensive man aren't necessarily the same guy. I think we'll pay what it takes to get the right guy. Tony Barbee, Sam Mitchell and a number of other great candidates are available without having to break the bank to get some rock star coach in here that might not work out anyway.

I think he was using it as a referance to what it would take to get Anderson over to a comparable SEC team. He may be from Birmingham, but Auburn is not in Birmingham.  It is closer than UGA, but by a few hours.

I think he was using it as a referance to what it would take to get Anderson over to a comparable SEC team. He may be from Birmingham, but Auburn is not in Birmingham.   It is closer than UGA, but by a few hours.

Thanks for explaining for me, Turtle_Tiger.

If we hired Person or Davis I would highly upset. On the other hand I do like Barbee and Anderson. I was told by someone very close to the Ath Dept that Anderson was very, very close to being the new head coach when Lebo was hired but Interim-President Ed Richardson didn't want him. Another thought, Pawlowski was also very close to being hired when Richardson hired Renfroe instead as our baseball coach. After Renfroe was fired Jacobs went after who they should have hired in the first place. It would not surprise me to see Mike Anderson as our new head coach.

The Anderson deal was he wouldn`t come to AU to interview. Was too good for that. Wanted AU to come to him. I feel to me that he burned that bridge then.

Come on ST...give us some inside info you are known for.  Have you heard anything about the Tubby rumor, or is it just that..a nice rumor to get people calling in to a radio station?  How would you gauge our chances at Anderson?

Just curious....

;D

I saw where Bobby Lutz was let go by Charlotte today.  Does anyone think he will be on jacobs short list? He has done a good job in 12 years at Charlotte and he has recruited the SE.

JJ should be on the phone with him right now, IMO.  He is a good coach and actually had a pretty good record, 19-12, this year.  Just not good enough for the standards he previously set at Charllote.  :dunno:

Tony Barbee: Decent choice. He definitely would be fresh blood for a program on life support! I like the Calipari connection, but is he ready to go head to head with his former boss on the court and in recruiting?

Mike Davis: SportsTalk, please take this name off of the list! This is embarrassing!

Mike Anderson: I would be shocked if we could lure him away from Missouri. I don't think it would be impossible, but improbable definitely. If we could, he would be a nice fit.

Frank Haith: Not the right fit for Auburn... plus, I doubt he would leave Miami for Auburn anyway.

This leads me to my pick out of the names that have been bantered about (at least on here), which is Sam Mitchell. Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to break something to you here... we are talking about a former NBA COACH OF THE YEAR!!! Did Rick Pitino ever achieve that? In his dreams maybe!

READ HIS BIO HERE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Mitchell_(basketball)

I remember Sam Mitchell as an up-and-coming young NBA coach with a VERY bright future. He took over an abismal Toronto squad, who had dwelled at the bottom of the NBA forever and had been through more coaches than the turds! Mitchell was the first guy to get anything out of that team, and not only that, but he took them all the way to FIRST PLACE in the Atlantic Division in 2007 and SECOND in '08! Sure they lost in the first round of the Playoffs both years, but was that reason for the team to FIRE him after just 17 games into the 2008-09 season? Heck they were just 8-9! I remember when this happened, and I was shocked that they fired him! And I wasn't the only one! There was an uproar in the media (including the TNT crew with our own Charles Barlkey, Kenny Smith and Ernie Johnson) over the decision to let one of the hottest young coaches go so soon. Since leaving Toronto, Sam has been working with the Atlanta Celtics, the AAU team there. He lives in Atlanta but is from Columbus, and as someone already pointed out, he has already expressed interest in the Auburn job!  :)

Given his experience in the NBA, his not only national, but also international connections, and his knowledge of the local area schools, I think Jay Jacobs should hire Sam Mitchell on the spot, if possible! If anyone can find me a more qualified/better candidate, please let me know!  :dunno:

WAR DAMN EAGLE!!! :we:

Thanks for the input DJ.  I heard Mitchell listed as a possible short list candidate but never did the research to find out anything about him.

Archived