Possible Early Candidates *Updated 9:30am 3-19-10*

AUSportTalk

Both are great coaches and both would be far more successful than what we are used to.I don't see how you people can bash either of them.I doubt Anderson is leaving the Zou.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both are great coaches and both would be far more successful than what we are used to.I don't see how you people can bash either of them.I doubt Anderson is leaving the Zou.

I could not agree more!  I would take either in a heartbeat.  I just think we have a better shot at Tubby.  Either would do Auburn proud.

War Eagle!!

Has Anderson won a National title? ....

Tubby has... he might be there for only 5 years but those 5 years would be the key to getting the bball program headed in the right direction.

i like both anderson and tubby

Bobby Bowden has won a national title, I guess he could be our next football coach. The past is the past, we fired Lebo for the future.

Our football program isnt in the dumps like our bball program... and if the past is the past then i guess we could hire coach K away from Duke?  :dunno:

Anderson wouldn't talk to Auburn six years ago, I hope Auburn will return the favor and not talk to Anderson now.

Tubby Smith is a better coach, and if he won't come there are plenty of promising young coaches out there without dealing with Mike Anderson.

Chuck Person and Sam Mitchell both have extensive NBA experience and the NBA background is more important in basketball recruiting than having a coach with a winning record. BB recruiting is different than football in that respect.

Tubby has... he might be there for only 5 years but those 5 years would be the key to getting the bball program headed in the right direction.

I do like Tubby Smith, no doubt. BUT....Mike Anderson would with no doubt be a better fit for Auburn. This guy brings a SICK element to B-Ball that T Smith doesnt bring. You might should remember that T Smith won a N Championship in his early years. Once the other teams caught up to his coaching philosophy, he was fired from KY. The SEC basketball teams still haven't found an answer to Mike Anderson. Also, until today, the last 1 seed to lose in the NCAA tournament to lose in the first weekend was KY........to who.......UAB..........coached by Mike Anderson. Who was the coach of the KY team.............Tubby Smith. Next question please.

There is no debating the resumes of both--while they are both accomplished, Tubby's is greater. Anderson spent quite a long time as an assistant at Arkansas and may have a better resume today had he become a head coach sooner.

But my preference is Anderson over Smith (at AU) due to "fit." Part of the UK fan's frustration with Smith was the style of play. Pitino introduced them to an up-tempo style that they grew to love and Smith's is a more deliberate, half-court style. At a school like Auburn where pure basketball fans are few and far between, I think a more exciting brand of basketball is a better fit because it will entertain the fringe fans that AU depends on to fill an arena.

Anderson's 94 feet approach is one of the most exciting to watch--pressure defense, creating lots of transition baskets. Anthony Grant is doing something similar at Bama--everything built around pressure defense. I believe Tubby's style is a better fit in the Big 10. Anderson's style is fun for fans, and fun for players. It is a style that can work without top-tier talent. Players around the south would be very interested in playing his style of ball.

And for those that have hurt feelings about what happened 6 years ago, I think you are missing the point completely. Richardson was wanting to conduct things a certain way due to SACS and Jetgate. Perhaps it was the right thing to do, perhaps he went overboard--that is certainly a reasonable debate to make. But, Anderson was far and away the most qualified and he was a head coach at a high mid-major in this state. All things considered, you cannot hold that guy's feet to the fire and make him interview. You do your due diligence and offer him the job if you want him.

I can assure you, if Tubby Smith comes to our campus in the coming days, it is because he has been offered the job, not because he's coming for a sit down interview.

I will certainly support Tubby Smith if he is hired, I just believe where this program sits today, and what we are about to embark on, this is not the best move we can make. While Chuck Person represents the most risky hire, a Tubby Smith hire is the most "safe." If Jacobs cannot land Anderson, I think he needs to find that guy that sees the Auburn as a challenge and wants to make it his career job.

WDE!

I do like Tubby Smith, no doubt. BUT....Mike Anderson would with no doubt be a better fit for Auburn. This guy brings a SICK element to B-Ball that T Smith doesn't bring. You might should remember that T Smith won a N Championship in his early years. Once the other teams caught up to his coaching philosophy, he was fired from KY. The SEC basketball teams still haven't found an answer to Mike Anderson. Also, until today, the last 1 seed to lose in the NCAA tournament to lose in the first weekend was KY........to who.......UAB..........coached by Mike Anderson. Who was the coach of the KY team.............Tubby Smith. Next question please.

Tubby was not fired from UK, he resigned.

I also find it odd that you dismiss Tubby for winning a Championship back in ancient history, (1998), yet you bring up one game that occurred 6 years ago to say that Anderson is better than Tubby.

Don't get me wrong...I will be very happy to get either of these two guys!  If we hire a coach other than these two, I will be disappointed.  I will support the new coach whoever it is, and hope for success, but to be honest I will be disappointed.  (Yes, I was very disappointed in the Chizik hire and very happy to be wrong.  I don't know everything, I just hope we go with a proven winner in Basketball.)

:wedance:

I do like Tubby Smith, no doubt. BUT....Mike Anderson would with no doubt be a better fit for Auburn. This guy brings a SICK element to B-Ball that T Smith doesn't bring. You might should remember that T Smith won a N Championship in his early years. Once the other teams caught up to his coaching philosophy, he was fired from KY. The SEC basketball teams still haven't found an answer to Mike Anderson. Also, until today, the last 1 seed to lose in the NCAA tournament to lose in the first weekend was KY........to who.......UAB..........coached by Mike Anderson. Who was the coach of the KY team.............Tubby Smith. Next question please.

I also find it odd that you dismiss Tubby for winning a Championship back in ancient history, (1998), yet you bring up one game that occurred 6 years ago to say that Anderson is better than Tubby.

Don't get me wrong...I will be very happy to get either of these two guys!  If we hire a coach other than these two, I will be disappointed.  I will support the new coach whoever it is, and hope for success, but to be honest I will be disappointed.   (Yes, I was very disappointed in the Chizik hire and very happy to be wrong.  I don't know everything, I just hope we go with a proven winner in Basketball.)

I dismissed T Smiths NC? I think its all in how you read my statement. Besides my comment was a response to "Has Anderson won a National Title". My comparison was head to head play between the two. I would be happy with either one of the two coaches, but Mike Anderson would be great......By the way, coach Tubberville "resigned" also.

Don't get me wrong...I will be very happy to get either of these two guys!  If we hire a coach other than these two, I will be disappointed.  I will support the new coach whoever it is, and hope for success, but to be honest I will be disappointed.   (Yes, I was very disappointed in the Chizik hire and very happy to be wrong.  I don't know everything, I just hope we go with a proven winner in Basketball.)

I dismissed T Smiths NC? I think its all in how you read my statement. Besides my comment was a response to "Has Anderson won a National Title". My comparison was head to head play between the two. I would be happy with either one of the two coaches, but Mike Anderson would be great......By the way, coach Tubberville "resigned" also.

You are correct, I most likely misread what you were trying to say.  I really think AU would be best served by either Tubby or Anderson.  I think both will be in the hunt for a National Championship.

I know Tuberville "resigned", but I think it was not Tuberville's choice to be out.  I sincerely believe that Tubby shocked UK fans by leaving for Minnesota.  I know it's semantics.

This BB coaching search seems to be all over the road. The more it plays out, the more concerned I become.  :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Hopefully it will work out in our favor. This is no different than the football coach search. It went from us getting Muschamp to all over the place also. I think that turned out great for us!

This BB coaching search seems to be all over the road. The more it plays out, the more concerned I become.

It's not the search that's all over the road, it's the rumor mill. The two are in no way related. I think the results of the search will be just fine. We may never know who all was contacted or not contacted, considered or not considered. All we'll know is who got the job, and I believe we'll be happy when the announcement is made.

Don't expect any real news until the Final Four is over.

"We will conduct a deliberate and thorough search driven by what is best for our student-athletes and our basketball program. Rumor and speculation will be rampant in the coming days. As in past searches, much if not most of what you may read or hear will be wrong. We will not refute rumors or comment on who will or won't be considered or who has or hasn't been interviewed. Our sole goal is to find the right man for Auburn.

Judging by recent searches at other schools, this process is more likely to take weeks than days. Rest assured that we are committed to finding a head coach who is the best fit for our team, this department, the Auburn Family and the community. We will find a coach with character and integrity who will always represent Auburn with class and who will energize our basketball program." 

Boy, JJ was right when he made this statement..... :dunno: :dunno:

Im with you Jackson.  I would love to have him, heard he wants to much money.

Yeah.  There are definitely some differences (I am hearing possibly a $ difference and talks of one of his sons being his predecessor)  they are trying to work through and talks have stalled.  That being said, they still want him badly and would like to reach a compromise.  Don't know if it will get done or not.  I just know he is still a possibility and at the top of the list as of now.

Thats great news.  Im all for bringing in his son's with Chuck Person as his right hand man.  Dont know if Person would do that but it sounds like a perfect scenario.

Thats great news.  Im all for bringing in his son's with Chuck Person as his right hand man.  Dont know if Person would do that but it sounds like a perfect scenario.

That would be nice but highly doubtful.  You never know, though.  I am hearing that there's a possibility that he's really pushing for Saul to be CIW.  Either him or one of his brothers, anyways.

Im with you Jackson.  I would love to have him, heard he wants to much money.

Yeah.  There are definitely some differences (I am hearing possibly a $ difference and talks of one of his sons being his predecessor)  they are trying to work through and talks have stalled.  That being said, they still want him badly and would like to reach a compromise.  Don't know if it will get done or not.  I just know he is still a possibility and at the top of the list as of now.

I hope Tubby is still on our radar.  I really want him!  Unless JJ has a time machine, I think you mean that Tubby wants one of his sons to be his successor.  :P

I really do not see Tubby putting Person on his staff...that would counter his wanting one of his sons to be his successor...He would know that AU fans would clamor for Person once he got some experience at the college level.

Chuck Person won't come to Auburn or any other college as an assistant. All he has to do is keep on where he is and he'll soon be an NBA head coach.

Chuck Person won't come to Auburn or any other college as an assistant. All he has to do is keep on where he is and he'll soon be an NBA head coach.

I hope he does so, and I wish him the best at an NBA job.  I just don't want him at AU as our head coach.

Archived