Possible Early Candidates *Updated 9:30am 3-19-10*

AUSportTalk

ST, you need to pass along to your "sources" that we need to consider Steve Alford. He is at New Mexico now, a MWC school. I would hope we could financially compete with them. He is a proven winning HC IMO.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scott Drew's Baylor is beating Kansas State

Drew is going nowhere unless it is to uk or unc or uconn or kansas

uconn is a possibility , Calhoun wont be there for ever ... but the others are there to stay

Not that contracts mean anything today but Calhoun is set to sign a new four year contract. 

I have moved Barbee and Drew to the top of my wish list.  If AU wants to put the money up I really think these two would like the challenge and the opportunity.  The attraction would be an opportunity to bring a major college program with a brand new arena into the spotlight.  They are both making less than Lebo was making, so I think AU could make it very attractive to these two. 

Drew is going nowhere unless it is to uk or unc or uconn or kansas

uconn is a possibility , Calhoun wont be there for ever ... but the others are there to stay

Not that contracts mean anything today but Calhoun is set to sign a new four year contract.   

eeeee Um ok ill believe that when I see it. If he stays healthy then I understand him staying. It would seem that he would be the first to go of the coaches mentioned... but I could be wrong

I'm watching UTEP and Houston now.  I don't get the offense that UTEP runs.  It looks to me like it is the Cliff Ellis mentality.  Get a lot of talent and throw the ball in.  It appears to be a street ball mentality  and not a well thought through plan of attack.

I'm thinking Scott Drew.

He has beaten Texas four times in a row! This guy can coach and has a basketball pedigree.

:we:

Hey guys.  This is my first time post ever on any message board.  I love AU b-ball so I thought I might chime in.  What about Bob Marlin from Sam Houston??  Check out his bio.  He really put it on us this year.  Along with a great resume, he also stresses "Family", per past players he coached.  This seems to work in our football program. 

Welcome to the world of internet message boards. You picked a good place to start. War Eagle.

Didn't he though? (Rhetorical with Sarcasm included) I mean, we're partial a little, obviously but to find this place first is pretty lucky. There are about 75% less jerks on this board than any other AU board I've seen...and I've seen tham all.  :laugh:

Welcome aboard to the new poster. And as always... :wedance:

We all may be partial but it is an easy decision when you're right.  I sadly don't know much about basketball coaches.  I hope whoever the new hire is helps change that situation!

I was not the caller, however I do know the caller.  I also do know Sam would take the job.  He lives in Atlanta and is very active in the AAU ranks.  The Atlanta area has some reall ballers.  Sam would be a great hire.  He can get kids in the league with his coaching experience with the Raptors. Notice he is real involved with AAU , which we have had no relationship with AAU for a while now.

I follow UAB basketball alot closer than I do Auburns since I go to every home game and we do not want Mike Davis as our next head coach. Every year he gets whiny when things don't go his way and completely stops coachings. He made zero ajustments during the southern miss game and it showed.

I'd like to see us go after Todd Bozeman.

Agreed about Mike Davis.....a big whinner!  We do not need Person as he has no head coaching experience.  Mike Anderson would be the best IMHO.

The last few coaches we've hired with head coaching experience hasn't panned out to well have they?  It isn't like we're Kentucky or UNC, (though I would love to be in their category one day). These coaches have to start somewhere.  Person is an Auburn man through and through.  He would give everything he has to this program, and has enough assistant coaching experience in the NBA to overshadow his lack of HC exp.  Remember Chizik didn't have a very impressive HC resume either.

I follow UAB basketball alot closer than I do Auburns since I go to every home game and we do not want Mike Davis as our next head coach. Every year he gets whiny when things don't go his way and completely stops coachings. He made zero ajustments during the southern miss game and it showed.

I'd like to see us go after Todd Bozeman.

Agreed about Mike Davis.....a big whinner!  We do not need Person as he has no head coaching experience.  Mike Anderson would be the best IMHO.

The last few coaches we've hired with head coaching experience hasn't panned out to well have they?  It isn't like we're Kentucky or UNC, (though I would love to be in their category one day). These coaches have to start somewhere.  Person is an Auburn man through and through.  He would give everything he has to this program, and has enough assistant coaching experience in the NBA to overshadow his lack of HC exp.  Remember Chizik didn't have a very impressive HC resume either.

What exactly is his position with the Lakers?  He is not an assistant coach according to the Lakers web site.  Somebody on here said he was Ron Artest's handler.  There is no doubt that he is an Auburn man but I do not think he is HC material at this time. 

One thing to remember though. Chizik was a head coach at ISU before we hired him. I'd love have Chuck but he has never been a head coach at any level before. If we hire Sam Mitchell, Chuck would an awesome guy to hire for his staff. We might even try to get Wesley too.

Yea and he could also hire Hank Haney to hold Charles head up.lol.I'm jokin.Mitchell would be a great hire as well as Charles as an assistant.

What about this Kansas state coach, Frank Martin.  That dude looks intense.  If he can recruit to K-State, he can recruit to anywhere.  His team looks quite respectable after losing the first round draft pick last year.  They play an uptempo style.  I like what I see.

If We were to go after an assistant, Chris Collins would be an interesting and potentially a great choice. Son of former NBA Head coach and all-star Doug Collins, he has done very well coaching the back court under coach K at Duke. We tried a North Carolina man why not Duke? Check out his BIO..

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=152858

What about this Kansas state coach, Frank Martin.  That dude looks intense.  If he can recruit to K-State, he can recruit to anywhere.  His team looks quite respectable after losing the first round draft pick last year.  They play an uptempo style.  I like what I see.

I was just about to say this! He sure would light a fire under there @$$ if they needed it.lol. He doesnt hesitate in that category.

I was just about to say this! He sure would light a fire under there @$$ if they needed it.lol. He doesnt hesitate in that category.

he just signed an extension this season through 2013 or 14 and got a raise of 1.6 mill

Let me add that of the four choices listed, the only one I would hope for is Barbee. The other three I believe we can do much better then...

Archived