Possible Early Candidates *Updated 9:30am 3-19-10*

AUSportTalk

JS, in one of you earlier post you said something about CTS wanting his son to be his predecessor???? I think we know what you meant but was trying to figure that one out.  Along those same lines, were there some concerns about Lebo having his dad on his staff.....seems that this nepotism issue could get in the way of a coach being objective about staff issues.  Also, I think we have seen examples in other sports where the "coach in waiting"  may not be the way to go.  I would prefer to pass on Coach Tubby Smith if it is going to cause some potentially awkward situations.  We should be talking to him about being out coach and not giving him license to determine his successor.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt Tubby will be coming to Auburn to be the next coach.

He may not but I can assure as of this minute it is far from over with him.  He is still our leading candidate.

We wont make the decision easy for him to turn down... he knows this is not a bad job... or a bad university.

I doubt Tubby will be coming to Auburn to be the next coach.

He may not but I can assure as of this minute it is far from over with him.  He is still our leading candidate.

We wont make the decision easy for him to turn down... he knows this is not a bad job... or a bad university.

GA, do you have some information about JJ not going to make it easy for him to turn down, or is that just more random speculation? 

I don't know.  The more I see of the potential interviewees, the more it makes me think JJ will try to capture lightning in a bottle a second time like he seems to have done with Chizik.  I hope I am wrong and all these minor coaches are just the Athletic office running a smoke screen to hide the bigger names he is going after.  If we get someone like Johnny Jones or the Cornell coach...I will support them and I am sure they are "good fits" if JJ hires them.  I will just be disappointed AU didn't get a big name coach to really make a statement.

:dunno:

JS, in one of you earlier post you said something about CTS wanting his son to be his predecessor???? I think we know what you meant but was trying to figure that one out.  Along those same lines, were there some concerns about Lebo having his dad on his staff.....seems that this nepotism issue could get in the way of a coach being objective about staff issues.  Also, I think we have seen examples in other sports where the "coach in waiting"  may not be the way to go.  I would prefer to pass on Coach Tubby Smith if it is going to cause some potentially awkward situations.  We should be talking to him about being out coach and not giving him license to determine his successor.

Sorry.  Brain fart, fellas.  HA!  Anyways, yeah.  I am hearing that the whole possiblie CIW thing could be a hangup in this situation.  I believe they probably are leary of taking that gamble.  That being said, they may feel like they should roll the dice.  Who knows?

Archived