Possible Early Candidates *Updated 9:30am 3-19-10*

AUSportTalk

Of all the coaches that I've seen listed somewhere as potential candidates, here's how I rank them:

1.  Tony Barbee - UTEP

2.  Steve Alford - New Mexico

3.  Bobby Lutz - Unemployed

4.  John Brady - Arkansas State

5.  Mike Anderson - Missouri

6.  Chuck Person - NBA

7.  Sam Mitchell -

8.  George marshall - Wichita State

9.  Johnny Jones - North texas

10. Mike Davis - UAB

11. Frank Haith - Miami 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mitchell's bio looks impressive.

Success in college, pros and coaching.

Many contacts in the pros, high energy and a local at that.

Nice homecoming option

Where was his success in college? None that I see. Out of work ex pro coach. If he is that great, why is he just working with AAU teams and not already on someone`s staff now? Just curious.

Nice homecoming option

Where was his success in college? None that I see. Out of work ex pro coach. If he is that great, why is he just working with AAU teams and not already on someone`s staff now? Just curious.

He led the Raptors to one of their best seasons in franchise history and they were terrible! He was fired prematurely for starting the season off 8-9. The Raptors have not done much since he left.

Nice homecoming option

He led the Raptors to one of their best seasons in franchise history and they were terrible! He was fired prematurely for starting the season off 8-9. The Raptors have not done much since he left.

I understand that much. Still don`t see a connect between an ex pro coach and  a D-1 college coach. He made be a great coach but there is a lot to it/ recruiting, and all of that. Not arguig; just asking questions.

Come on ST...give us some inside info you are known for.  Have you heard anything about the Tubby rumor, or is it just that..a nice rumor to get people calling in to a radio station?  How would you gauge our chances at Anderson?

Just curious....

;D

I have heard a thing or two about Tubby but haven't been able to confirm anything......as of right now I believe it's just rumor.......I haven't heard anything concrete but I do believe as of right now Chuck Person is the leading candidate........as the tourney moves forward I should hear a lot more about the search.

Come on ST...give us some inside info you are known for.  Have you heard anything about the Tubby rumor, or is it just that..a nice rumor to get people calling in to a radio station?  How would you gauge our chances at Anderson?

Just curious....

;D

I have heard a thing or two about Tubby but haven't been able to confirm anything......as of right now I believe it's just rumor.......I haven't heard anything concrete but I do believe as of right now Chuck Person is the leading candidate........as the tourney moves forward I should hear a lot more about the search.

wow, this should be interesting

Just curious....

;D

Interesting indeed.  I just hope Person doesn't remain the leading candidate for too long.  I don't think he has the experience to get the job done.  It will be a huge undertaking getting AU basketball back on track.  I love Person, but I don't want him to be our new coach.

(To me it would be like we had made Bo Jackson our new football coach just because he was such a great player and is a great ambassador of AU.)

By the way...thank you for the update, ST!

:wedance:

I will never go to another Auburn Basketball game and college hoops is my second favorite sport behind MLB, if Mike Davis is named the next basketball coach. I understand where you're coming from ST on Chuck Person, but would you feel differently about Bo being the Head Football coach if he had been an assistant in the Pros since he stopped playing?

Just curious....

;D

Interesting indeed.  I just hope Person doesn't remain the leading candidate for too long.  I don't think he has the experience to get the job done.  It will be a huge undertaking getting AU basketball back on track.  I love Person, but I don't want him to be our new coach.

(To me it would be like we had made Bo Jackson our new football coach just because he was such a great player and is a great ambassador of AU.)

By the way...thank you for the update, ST!

You're welcome. I do believe that Person has the inside track b/c of who he knows and the fact that he played here but it wouldn't surprise me for Auburn to hire Anderson or Barbee.

ST, do you know the time table regarding when Jay Jacobs is going to announce his decision? Is he waiting for the NCAA tournament to end? The only reason I'm asking is I just feel like we would have announced Chuck Person by now if he was going to be our coach. There is nothing holding the announcement back if indeed it is Person. If it's somebody like Barbee, we have to wait until UTEP loses in the tourney. I could be reading way too much into this, but I was just wondering. Thanks for the awesome site by the way! WDE

I will never go to another Auburn Basketball game and college hoops is my second favorite sport behind MLB, if Mike Davis is named the next basketball coach. I understand where you're coming from ST on Chuck Person, but would you feel differently about Bo being the Head Football coach if he had been an assistant in the Pros since he stopped playing?

I would not feel differently if Bo had spent time as a pro asst, esp if his duties were nothing more than as a babysitter to another player.

I echo your dislike for Davis.  That would be a horrible choice.

If Chuck Person was the first choice, he would already have been named.  If he gets the job now, it is only because others have turned down Jay.  I hope they get an aggressive, proven recruiter.  Basketball is all about getting the players.  Lebo is living proof.

I don't think anybody will be named until after the Final Four. How can you have a "first choice" before all candidates have been interviewed? Answer: You can't. Interviews won't be completed until Final Four is over or shortly thereafter.

I am hoping for Tubby Smith...I just think a man who has been in the post-season for the past 17 years, (16 NCAAs, and 1 NIT), at 4 different schools is the man I want coaching AU.  I just hope JJ can convince him to come to Auburn.

CBS and al.com have mentioned Tubby and the AD or pres. there said they could not match offers above where he is at. he certainly has a proven record. I don't know all the details but saw during the game today that they have had some offcourt problems with several players. we do not need that again. A lot of talk about Barbee, but they lost their tourney and lost yesterday. I know very little about him but was not impressed watching the last few mins of their conference tourney...very much playground ball. Just hope they find the right guy for the job...like Chizik...regardless of what we think. :o)

I am hoping for Tubby Smith...I just think a man who has been in the post-season for the past 17 years, (16 NCAAs, and 1 NIT), at 4 different schools is the man I want coaching AU.  I just hope JJ can convince him to come to Auburn.

I am with you. I thought UK was stupid for getting rid of him for not doing well one season. I would love to have Tubbs.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/03/tubby-smith-on-auburn-rumors-im-looking-forward-to-coming-back-to-minnesota/1

Tubby said after they lost today that he was looking foward to coming back to Minnesota. Sounds like coach-speak to me! It's been rumored that we have offered him $2 million! I personally don't buy it! That's ALOT of money and almost as much as Chiz makes! I guess we'll see soon enough!  :dunno:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/03/tubby-smith-on-auburn-rumors-im-looking-forward-to-coming-back-to-minnesota/1

Tubby said after they lost today that he was looking foward to coming back to Minnesota. Sounds like coach-speak to me! It's been rumored that we have offered him $2 million! I personally don't buy it! That's ALOT of money and almost as much as Chiz makes! I guess we'll see soon enough!  :dunno:

He hasn't been offered anything as of this afternoon.  JJ has not even asked the Minn. AD for permission to talk to him.  JJ will do it by the book so he would not ask until the season was over.  Now, that does not mean that Tubby's agent hasn't been contacted to gauge his interest.  If that happened, I doubt any numbers were tossed around. 

I remember when you could look up where the Auburn jet was going and has gone using the tail number. Now they have blocked it. I used it during recruiting last year and it was pretty cool.

It would be nice to have now.

WDE.

Archived