Possible Early Candidates *Updated 9:30am 3-19-10*

AUSportTalk

Davis is whiny but saying he stops coaching isn't true. Southern Miss is a tough team to beat three times. He's certainly not ideal but he's a step above Lebo.

Is it asking too much for a basketball coach with some personality.  Lebo has zero and Davis has less.  I want a coach, who can coach of course, and one who shows emotion on the court and in interviews.  I want a coach who will get out on campus and talk to students about basketball and get the student body interested in basketball. 

Not sure what you're saying. Personally, I want someone who will come in and win. Winning will bring interest in basketball. No amount of Lebo coming to my classes would have got me to go to games, lol.

Anyways, you see successful coaches in every sport with no personalities being successful. You can argue that Chizik has little personality and I like him fine.

Again, I will reiterate, by no means should Davis be one of our top three choices, but he's certainly a step above Lebo.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Davis is whiny but saying he stops coaching isn't true. Southern Miss is a tough team to beat three times. He's certainly not ideal but he's a step above Lebo.

Is it asking too much for a basketball coach with some personality.  Lebo has zero and Davis has less.  I want a coach, who can coach of course, and one who shows emotion on the court and in interviews.  I want a coach who will get out on campus and talk to students about basketball and get the student body interested in basketball. 

Not sure what you're saying. Personally, I want someone who will come in and win. Winning will bring interest in basketball. No amount of Lebo coming to my classes would have got me to go to games, lol.

Anyways, you see successful coaches in every sport with no personalities being successful. You can argue that Chizik has little personality and I like him fine.

Again, I will reiterate, by no means should Davis be one of our top three choices, but he's certainly a step above Lebo.

neither does jim boeheim

neither does jim boeheim

I am not asking for a personality like... say Bruce Pearl.  He may go a litttle too far.  But I do like some of the things he does.  Boeheim does have a personality.  Look at some of his interviews.  He has a sense of humor and he shows emotion on the court.  I personally think CGC shows personality and emotion.    

neither does jim boeheim

I am not asking for a personality like... say Bruce Pearl.  He may go a litttle too far.  But I do like some of the things he does.  Boeheim does have a personality.  Look at some of his interviews.  He has a sense of humor and he shows emotion on the court.  I personally think CGC shows personality and emotion.    

I get what you're saying, I thought it was funny that one of boeheim's players called him boring though :laugh:

Hey guys.  This is my first time post ever on any message board.  I love AU b-ball so I thought I might chime in.  What about Bob Marlin from Sam Houston??  Check out his bio.  He really put it on us this year.  Along with a great resume, he also stresses "Family", per past players he coached.  This seems to work in our football program. 

Welcome to the world of internet message boards. You picked a good place to start. War Eagle.

What about Sam Mitchell?

I heard this name mentioned on Fartbomb today. Were you the caller? If not, the person who called in said Mitchell is from Columbus, has a good relationship with AAU coaches and may want the job. I wonder if this has legs. I think the UTEP coach would be a good choice. Haith, Davis and Person (even though Im a big Chuck fan) would be disasters.

Rick Majerus who is now at St. Louis. Could he be a candidate? I would be happy with Barbee, don't see Anderson leaving Mizzou and say Hell no to Davis.

Mike Davis would be a horrible hire. Absolutely horrible. The guy couldn't even win at Indiana... INDIANA! WHEN THEY WERE a great a program.

Mike Anderson is as far from an "Auburn man" (as I hear all so often) as anyone. I wouldn't want him either. Has he done much since his NCAA Tourny run back when Cliff Ellis was the coach. This guy was "considered" to replace Ellis and I believe I read / heard that he wanted a job offer before interviewing, or something like that. That guy just moves around and has had little success over the past 5 or so years.

I have no clue who Auburn will hire. But I don't expect it to be a "big splash." This is Auburn basketball we are talking about here. But that's ok. Maybe Chizik can recruit and hire a guy who can call plays. Basketball doesn't have as much of a science to it as football.

Mike Davis would be a horrible hire. Absolutely horrible. The guy couldn't even win at Indiana... INDIANA! WHEN THEY WERE a great a program.

Mike Anderson is as far from an "Auburn man" (as I hear all so often) as anyone. I wouldn't want him either. Has he done much since his NCAA Tourny run back when Cliff Ellis was the coach. This guy was "considered" to replace Ellis and I believe I read / heard that he wanted a job offer before interviewing, or something like that. That guy just moves around and has had little success over the past 5 or so years.

I have no clue who Auburn will hire. But I don't expect it to be a "big splash." This is Auburn basketball we are talking about here. But that's ok. Maybe Chizik can recruit and hire a guy who can call plays. Basketball doesn't have as much of a science to it as football.

u dont watch much basketball

Scott Drew Of Baylor should be our #1 target after the way he rebuilt Baylor who was much worse off then we are...

Here is his bio...

http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/drew_scott00.html

Read this as well and be sure to read what the fans of Baylor say at the bottom...

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/John-Werner-Drews-path-to-100-wins--no-easy-task-at-Baylor.html

Just got back from Nashville, boy have I missed a lot! I am happy to say that I saw Jeff Lebo's last game as AU's coach. Too bad we lost last night, I had a great time though. It is interesting to see how we stack up against the other teams when you see them all back to back. I don't know how it looked on tv, but Florida had a much better team, regardless of the final score. Went to see the UK-Bammer game today, I was surrounded by UK fans, they are an impressive bunch. The fans I talked to all assumed that Lebo would be fired, I wasn't so sure because of how we usually handle things. Looks like JJ did the right thing, it was the obvious time to let Lebo go, no way they were gonna open the arena with that guy. Bring on some new blood!

What about Bo Ryan and Rick Pitino. I know Auburn would be a better place to live and work. Also, We have a new $92.5 million arena to lure these guys with. Open the wallet JJ, NOW!

What about Bo Ryan and Rick Pitino. I know Auburn would be a better place to live and work. Also, We have a new $92.5 million arena to lure these guys with. Open the wallet JJ, NOW!

louisville aslo opens a new arena next year.. also those are final four programs right now. no way they come to auburn

Scott Drew's Baylor is beating Kansas State

Drew is going nowhere unless it is to uk or unc or uconn or kansas

uconn is a possibility , Calhoun wont be there for ever ... but the others are there to stay

What about Sam Mitchell?

I heard this name mentioned on Fartbomb today. Were you the caller? If not, the person who called in said Mitchell is from Columbus, has a good relationship with AAU coaches and may want the job. I wonder if this has legs. I think the UTEP coach would be a good choice. Haith, Davis and Person (even though Im a big Chuck fan) would be disasters.

Listening to fartbomb is a Mortal Sin :devil:

Anderson would be a great hire and he's from Birmingham. Mike davis=Lebo

Barbee, never heard of him. Scott Drew, Rick Pitino or Montgomery the Assistant head coach at MSU would be a good catch I think.

Archived