Help me make up my mind....

Yes to Barbee, no to Person. I've no reason to think Person would succeed as a college bb coach-no coaching experience and has never set foot in a recruits living room.

First of all, for various reasons, Chuck Person is not my first choice as our new BB coach. Having said that, I find it amusing that random posters on a fansite have such tremendous basketball knowledge that they can put down Chuck as a possible HC choice. Chuck freakin Person people! Let's not get ahead of ourselves when it comes to criticing a man who I'm pretty sure knows more about basketball than all of us combined. Just sayin. :dunno:

Yes to Barbee, no to Person. I've no reason to think Person would succeed as a college bb coach-no coaching experience and has never set foot in a recruits living room.

Thank you!!!!    :dunno:

First of all, for various reasons, Chuck Person is not my first choice as our new BB coach. Having said that, I find it amusing that random posters on a fansite have such tremendous basketball knowledge that they can put down Chuck as a possible HC choice. Chuck freakin Person people! Let's not get ahead of ourselves when it comes to criticing a man who I'm pretty sure knows more about basketball than all of us combined. Just sayin. :dunno:

So does Jeff Lebo.  I just don't think an unproven product is what we need.  He is not even on the Lakers staff as an assistant. 

So does Jeff Lebo.  I just don't think an unproven product is what we need.  He is not even on the Lakers staff as an assistant. 

You are correct about Lebo, he does know a lot. Obviously there is more to the job than just BB knowledge. I am not saying Chuck is the best hire, I just think it's funny when someone of Chuck's caliber is so easily passed over by people. Him being or not being an assistant with L.A. is immaterial though. He has more than enough documented pro coaching experience plus a 15 year playing career. His creditials are beyond reproach- he doesn't have to prove anything to anybody. Besides, JJ already said HC experience is not necessarily a must. For that matter, unless the new coach is a proven winner in the SEC, he is unproven, regardless of his current position.

You are correct about Lebo, he does know a lot. Obviously there is more to the job than just BB knowledge. I am not saying Chuck is the best hire, I just think it's funny when someone of Chuck's caliber is so easily passed over by people. Him being or not being an assistant with L.A. is immaterial though. He has more than enough documented pro coaching experience plus a 15 year playing career. His creditials are beyond reproach- he doesn't have to prove anything to anybody. Besides, JJ already said HC experience is not necessarily a must. For that matter, unless the new coach is a proven winner in the SEC, he is unproven, regardless of his current position.

I don't totally disagree with you.  My main point is Auburn has a chance to make a statement.  We have a chance now, with the new arena and the hiring of a new coach to say we are committed to take this program into the next era of Auburn Basketball.  Not just continuing more of the same.  We have the opportunity to make our bball program a destination for the elite high school players in the south if not in the nation. 

I don't think Person is the coach to take us into the next era.  And I don't think a proven coach has to be proven in the SEC.  I also think a proven coach could be a long time assistant at a successful major college program.  JMO.

Theres no reason Auburn cant recruit big time ball players... u just have to go after them.

get em on campus, especially with the new arena... itll be hard for them to walk away unimpressed

remember all the questions that surrounded the CGC hire? It seems to me that a young energetic coach with a new arena and a solid recruiting past, would be the directon to go. A proven assistant at a major power should be a place for mr. jacobs to start.

Thoughts on Sam Mitchell? He seems to be a popular name around here. No college coaching experience. No recruiting experience. Never had to deal with boosters or a student body. Does that make him less attractive as a college coach? By some of the standards I have read on here, it would.

the only issues re: mitchell and person that i have are related to their degrees. Technically, the head coaching position is a faculty member. Mitchell as a candidate would be very intriguing.

I have no idea who the new coach will be or what he will be paid. Whether we need a young guy or a seasoned vet I can't answer either. One thing I can say is I would be happy with either Barbee, Mitchell, Ford, Anderson, Person or Pasner. I have no preference for one over the other. I just want the guy to want to be at Auburn and want to make Auburn a winner. The measuring stick in this conference wears blue and the bar has bet set way up in the rafters. If we are gonna be relevant we have to set the bar at least a notch higher than that. No question there is talent in this state. We have to find a way to keep it at home and have them wearing orange and blue. This state has a final four team playing away from home. We have to close the borders and steal a few from across the borders and we can compete with the UNCs and KUs of the world.

In no way should the head basketball coach make more than Coach Chizik.  I feel like Coach Chizik runs a much bigger operation.  I think at one point bammer paid their Bball coach more then Shula...  I remember making fun of that.

In no way should the head basketball coach make more than Coach Chizik.  I feel like Coach Chizik runs a much bigger operation.  I think at one point bammer paid their Bball coach more then Shula...  I remember making fun of that.

Unless BB makes more $$ than football (which it obviously doesn't), no way should the BB coach make more than CGC. Football pays for almost every other sport at AU. You are 100% correct.

I have no idea who the new coach will be or what he will be paid. Whether we need a young guy or a seasoned vet I can't answer either. One thing I can say is I would be happy with either Barbee, Mitchell, Ford, Anderson, Person or Pasner. I have no preference for one over the other. I just want the guy to want to be at Auburn and want to make Auburn a winner. The measuring stick in this conference wears blue and the bar has bet set way up in the rafters. If we are gonna be relevant we have to set the bar at least a notch higher than that. No question there is talent in this state. We have to find a way to keep it at home and have them wearing orange and blue. This state has a final four team playing away from home. We have to close the borders and steal a few from across the borders and we can compete with the UNCs and KUs of the world.

That's right! :thumbsup::bow::thumbsup::bow::thumbsup::bow:

Now go and get the BEST! I don't care how much money they get paid. I wouldn't give a hoot if it was Pat Summitt, yes, that Pat Summitt of the Tenn Vols WOMEN"S program. She wouldn't be my first choice, just get a winner in here fast!

I hope the point gets across. All this speculation is just killing time. I like most of the names thrown around here except Davis and Haith, and Anderson. They would be wrong for AU.

Auburn made a huge statement by building a new arena and to go out and hite another unproven coach would be stupid IMHO. JJ needs to take that next big step and go top quality coach like Anderson, Drew, Pitino, Mitchell and Barbee. As far ad the money goes, when Auburn starts winning and playing decent teams like KY and FL people will start attending the games.

Mike Davis sucks. UAB fans are praying for us to take this turd off their hands. Also, There are no reasons why Auburn cant become competitive with the Kentucky and Dukes in BB. WDE!

Auburn made a huge statement by building a new arena and to go out and hite another unproven coach would be stupid IMHO. JJ needs to take that next big step and go top quality coach like Anderson, Drew, Pitino, Mitchell and Barbee. As far ad the money goes, when Auburn starts winning and playing decent teams like KY and FL people will start attending the games.

Mike Davis sucks. UAB fans are praying for us to take this turd off their hands. Also, There are no reasons why Auburn cant become competitive with the Kentucky and Dukes in BB. WDE!

it may take a while b4 were competitive with the kentucky and dukes of the world.. but i think barbee could get us close.. i dont think with wat drew has at baylor hes going anywhere going to auburn would be a downward move for him.. also pitino wont be coming he has a brand new arena next year with louisville and great bball history there.

There is absolutely nothing, NOTHING, to commend Chuck Person for this job. Passion and having played for Auburn do not make him a good coach. If you want a freaking disaster then go ahead an hire Person. Then, as someone said, we'd have another problem because we'd have to keep him longer than we would want to when he does not turn things around.

Archived