Help me make up my mind....

I go back and forth and back and forth on the "Who will AU hire as bball coach?" issue. I have a hard time believing that AU will pay it's basketball coach more than it's head football coach, which would be the case if we hired Mike Anderson.

I know, I know...our football staff is one of the highest paid in the country and it's more spread out over the assistants than in years past. Still, never in my life would I have thought we would ever pay the head bball coach more than the football coach.

Also, when I try to think of the hire realisticly with my head instead of my heart, I tend to think it would be just like Auburn to hire Chuck Person. Chuck is interested in the job and I could see him going in and having a really good interview that impressed Jacobs. Not to mention the fact that he would cost us less than just about everybody, if not everybody else on the board. I love Chuck. I appreciate everything Chuck has done for AU and respect the fact that he's an Auburn man....But is Chuck the best we can do?

Wouldn't it be better to go after a young, up and coming coach that is looking to move to a bigger and better conference and make more money? Someone that's proven he could win at a smaller school and has some head coaching and recruiting experience?

I realize none of us know for sure what's going to happen but for the sake of discussion I'd like to hear everybodys thoughts. Do you think we're going to put the money up and pay a guy like Mike Anderson big bucks to take over? Do you think we'll go after a young up and comer that's semi-proven? Or...Do you have that funny feeling like I do that Auburn may very well hire Chuck Person, which will be 50/50 on whether or not he'll make a splash, be able to recruit or work out at all? What say you?

I think we'll hire a young up and coming college coach that will bring excitement and the ability to recruit

See Jeff Lebo. This is what everybody thought six years ago. We DON'T need to hire "up and comers." We need to hire a proven winner b/c we don't need a repeat performance of the last six years.

I think we'll hire a young up and coming college coach that will bring excitement and the ability to recruit

I agree with you and like your AU SI cover in your avatar.  :)

I seriously do not want Person to be the new coach.  All he has ever been in coaching is a pro assistant.  I would want to see him coach even a small market team to see what he can do before handing him the keys to our BB Kingdom.

:wedance:

I go back and forth and back and forth on the "Who will AU hire as bball coach?" issue. I have a hard time believing that AU will pay it's basketball coach more than it's head football coach, which would be the case if we hired Mike Anderson.

I know, I know...our football staff is one of the highest paid in the country and it's more spread out over the assistants than in years past. Still, never in my life would I have thought we would ever pay the head bball coach more than the football coach.

Also, when I try to think of the hire realistically with my head instead of my heart, I tend to think it would be just like Auburn to hire Chuck Person. Chuck is interested in the job and I could see him going in and having a really good interview that impressed Jacobs. Not to mention the fact that he would cost us less than just about everybody, if not everybody else on the board. I love Chuck. I appreciate everything Chuck has done for AU and respect the fact that he's an Auburn man....But is Chuck the best we can do?

Wouldn't it be better to go after a young, up and coming coach that is looking to move to a bigger and better conference and make more money? Someone that's proven he could win at a smaller school and has some head coaching and recruiting experience?

I realize none of us know for sure what's going to happen but for the sake of discussion I'd like to hear everybodys thoughts. Do you think we're going to put the money up and pay a guy like Mike Anderson big bucks to take over? Do you think we'll go after a young up and comer that's semi-proven? Or...Do you have that funny feeling like I do that Auburn may very well hire Chuck Person, which will be 50/50 on whether or not he'll make a splash, be able to recruit or work out at all? What say you?

The biggest memory I have of Chuck Person is the emotion and passion he had while putting Auburn on his back and carrying us to the Elite 8 in 1984. If he was to bring that same passion to coaching Auburn (and I believe he would) I would be very satisfied with him. I personally think there are a few better options as I have stated, but in Person we would know that we are getting A loyal auburn man who does no basketball. The one draw back would be if he failed to get it done it would be very, very hard to let him go considering he is such a great ambassador to Auburn. As far as Davis, I think we could do better. Just my opinion, but hire a mid major coach with a proven winning record...

I like Drew or Barbee...If we go after a young coach Chris Collins at Duke...I know everyone says we cannot get Drew, but that does not mean we cannot try...

Persons knows basketball

He played at Auburn

He has emotion

He was a leader at Auburn

Who wouldn't want to play for him

He would bring fans to the game

I think there are many pros to him, but he is not my number 1 choice. He is definitely top 3 though. Remember we are not a big basketball school and the bottom of the SEC. No top coach in a top conference is going to downgrade. We have to be realistic. Is good of a University or city that Auburn is we are not a top bball program at the moment. Maybe in the future we will become one, but know we have to be practical.

Say we hire Sam Mitchell or dish out the money to hire Mike Anderson. Is there any chance those guys could get Chuck Person to come be their top assistant with a nice paycheck? He could be our ace recruiter and he would definitely light a spark in our basketball program. Not sure if he would leave the Lakers to be an assistant here though.

I also like these coaches. Brad Stevens and Travis Ford. I think there's a good chance Mitchell would bring Person on board. In fact, Chuck said he would support the hiring of Sam if he (Chuck) didn't get the AU job.

Persons knows basketball

He played at Auburn

He has emotion

He was a leader at Auburn

Who wouldn't want to play for him

He would bring fans to the game

I think there are many pros to him, but he is not my number 1 choice. He is definitely top 3 though. Remember we are not a big basketball school and the bottom of the SEC. No top coach in a top conference is going to downgrade. We have to be realistic. Is good of a University or city that Auburn is we are not a top bball program at the moment. Maybe in the future we will become one, but know we have to be practical.

The one thing that I don't see on that list, and which I think is most important, is HC experience.

I most definitely do NOT want Davis!!!

:wedance:

Guest BibliothekarTiger

Can Chuck Person even be considered?  I didn’t think he finished his degree.  It’s my understanding the BB coach is considered a faculty position that at a minimum requires a B.S. degree.  Anyone know for sure?  Also, I don't want Davis either. 

Jacobs has said"we're looking for an Auburn man." Mike Davis is NOT an Auburn man.

I hope Jacobs sees it that way too.

I dont even mind that mike davis went to uat.. i dont want him because he is a quitter. he quit on Indiana his last season and the last 2 seasons watching UAB and going to there games he has quit on them when it counts

I dont even mind that mike davis went to uat.. i dont want him because he is a quitter. he quit on Indiana his last season and the last 2 seasons watching UAB and going to there games he has quit on them when it counts

FWIW, I don't think Mike Davis will get the job. I think they'd hire Chuck before him. Now this is purely speculation on my part as I don't have a direct link to what Jacobs is thinking, but reading between the lines from everything he said and everything I've heard about who they've reached out to already, I just don't see us hiring Mike Davis....

Now that I've said that, Mike Davis' press conference accepting the job will be held tomorrow.  :laugh:

Can Chuck Person even be considered?  I didn’t think he finished his degree.  It’s my understanding the BB coach is considered a faculty position that at a minimum requires a B.S. degree.  Anyone know for sure?  Also, I don't want Davis either. 

I'm 99% sure you are correct.  Also, Person is not even listed as an assistant with the Lakers.  He has basically been Ron Artest's babysitter with the Pacers, Kings and Lakers.  I don't think he is ready to coach a D1 basketball team at this point.

http://lakers.freedomblogging.com/2009/10/01/burning-camp-question-3-will-chuck-persons-hiring-keep-artest-in-line-as-a-laker/22665/

I'm 99% sure you are correct.  Also, Person is not even listed as an assistant with the Lakers.  He has basically been Ron Artest's babysitter with the Pacers, Kings and Lakers.  I don't think he is ready to coach a D1 basketball team at this point.

http://lakers.freedomblogging.com/2009/10/01/burning-camp-question-3-will-chuck-persons-hiring-keep-artest-in-line-as-a-laker/22665/

I haven't commented on this because i don't know, to tell you the truth. The common rumor/thought is that you have to have a degree and I think that's correct. But I have never actually seen anything in writing that proves that to be the case. I also am not for sure that Chuck didn't get his somewhere along the way. He may not have gotten it from AU but he's had time over the years to get his degree if he wanted to, so he may have gotten it at some point. Like I said, I'm as lost as everybody else on those questions. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I haven't commented on this because i don't know, to tell you the truth. The common rumor/thought is that you have to have a degree and I think that's correct. But I have never actually seen anything in writing that proves that to be the case. I also am not for sure that Chuck didn't get his somewhere along the way. He may not have gotten it from AU but he's had time over the years to get his degree if he wanted to, so he may have gotten it at some point. Like I said, I'm as lost as everybody else on those questions. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Just talked to someone who seems to know more than me about the situation. I'm not 100% this is true but it sounds good. This person said, "It has been the practice at AU not to hire a head coach without a degree but it's not a requirement." and... "Even if it was a requirement, Chuck has been taking classes online to finish his degree and is only a couple hours short. So he could be hired and have his degree before coaching his first game."

Mayor, you mentioned the money issue which is a good point.  I posted in another area that Barbee is currently making less than $250,000 at UTEP.  Considering his age and his win/loss record and recruiting abilities he seems to be a promising candidate if Jay Jacobs is looking in that direction.  I was impressed with what I read about him after a google search.  Check him out and see what you think.  I know one report on Al.com said he had been asked if he had been contacted about the AU job and he gave the typical type answer about not being contacted. 

Mayor, you mentioned the money issue which is a good point.  I posted in another area that Barbee is currently making less than $250,000 at UTEP.  Considering his age and his win/loss record and recruiting abilities he seems to be a promising candidate if Jay Jacobs is looking in that direction.  I was impressed with what I read about him after a google search.  Check him out and see what you think.  I know one report on Al.com said he had been asked if he had been contacted about the AU job and he gave the typical type answer about not being contacted. 

Yeah I've looked at him. I think he's a good candidate. Actually he seems to be the only candidate everybody agrees on. I haven't heard anybody say anything bad about him and with the money he's making, as you stated, we could easily double that and it would be hard for him to turn down I bet. I wouldn't be mad at getting him at all.

Archived