ATLANTA BRAVES THREAD!

Ronald McDonald

Good segment on Heyward and the upcoming season.

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=20081671&c_id=atl

I think Heyward will either have a monster year or struggle a lot. I'm leaning towards the monster year though  :thumbsup:

As long as he avoids the nagging injuries, he'll be fine.

Agreed. I'd be ecstatic if we got 140 games each from Chipper and Heyward

As long as he avoids the nagging injuries, he'll be fine.

Agreed. I'd be ecstatic if we got 140 games each from Chipper and Heyward

I'd definitely be ecstatic but it's a scenario where I would be more surprised if they each played 140 than if they played 140 combined :laugh:

Still wish we'd traded chipper back a few years when the getting was good. We would be sitting a lot better off right now.

We'd probably be better off but you really don't know. So many variables go along with that.

I'm glad we kept him because the franchise owes it to him. He's done so much for ATL baseball that he deserves to end his career as a Brave. Just imagine the backlash we would've received for trading him away.

I'll eat my shorts if Chipper plays 140 games, but it would be nice to see.

no way Chipper plays 140 games just hope for 110 maybe 120 if lucky

He played in 126 last year. Definitely not going to hope for 110.

Still wish we'd traded chipper back a few years when the getting was good. We would be sitting a lot better off right now.

We'd probably be better off but you really don't know. So many variables go along with that.

I'm glad we kept him because the franchise owes it to him. He's done so much for ATL baseball that he deserves to end his career as a Brave. Just imagine the backlash we would've received for trading him away.

kind of like Smoltz?  :-\

Smoltz wasn't traded, he signed a 5.5mil contract with incentives up to 10mil. The Braves couldn't compete with the Red Sox.

Smoltz wasn't traded, he signed a 5.5mil contract with incentives up to 10mil. The Braves couldn't compete with the Red Sox.

True. I just never have liked chipper.

This from the AJC hope it works.......

Hanson smooths out his delivery: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that Braves SP Tommy Hanson has worked this offseason to alter his pitching delivery in the hopes that it will make him less prone to injury. Hanson missed most of the final two months of last season due to a shoulder injury, and his health issues were attributed, at least in part, to a hitch in his delivery. He has worked with pitching coach Roger McDowell on a new, smoother delivery over the last six weeks, which should shift some of the stress of his throwing motion to his lower body. In addition to reducing the impact on his arm and shoulder, the more compact delivery should help Hanson to reduce the number of stolen bases off of him.

This from the AJC hope it works.......

Hanson smooths out his delivery: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that Braves SP Tommy Hanson has worked this offseason to alter his pitching delivery in the hopes that it will make him less prone to injury. Hanson missed most of the final two months of last season due to a shoulder injury, and his health issues were attributed, at least in part, to a hitch in his delivery. He has worked with pitching coach Roger McDowell on a new, smoother delivery over the last six weeks, which should shift some of the stress of his throwing motion to his lower body. In addition to reducing the impact on his arm and shoulder, the more compact delivery should help Hanson to reduce the number of stolen bases off of him.

Thanks for posting that. I've always wondered about that hitch in his delivery because it seems like he is throwing with all arm and no body. Glad to hear its smoother now.

Not trying to be a smart a**, but why? He's the probably the second best switch hitter ever, 1st ballot HOF, has a .304 career avg., over 450 HRs, 7x all star, over 2600 hits, former MVP, etc. He doesn't have a great amount of speed, but he is one of the best base runners I've seen. It's amazing how many doubles he gets just from hustling. Outside of Aaron, he's the best position player to ever play for Atlanta. I know his contract takes up a lot of cap room, but look how many times has he restructured his contract so the Braves could sign more players.

Yeah Chipper has been great to and for Atlanta. And although his numbers are declining with age his leadership and experience is invaluable for a young team.

Not trying to be a smart a**, but why? He's the probably the second best switch hitter ever, 1st ballot HOF, has a .304 career avg., over 450 HRs, 7x all star, over 2600 hits, former MVP, etc. He doesn't have a great amount of speed, but he is one of the best base runners I've seen. It's amazing how many doubles he gets just from hustling. Outside of Aaron, he's the best position player to ever play for Atlanta. I know his contract takes up a lot of cap room, but look how many times has he restructured his contract so the Braves could sign more players.

nothing to do with his numbers. They are great. Just some personal reasons beyond baseball. I'd rather not go any further than that.  Just my opinion though. No doubt that he has been a great player for the Braves.