ATLANTA BRAVES THREAD!

Ronald McDonald

Just saw we're interested in Xavier Nady!

Oh Boy! Just what we need, another often injured backup that with any luck can play in 80 games, hit 4 hrs with 30 rbi's. It only took Frank Wren all offseason and spring training to realize we are a few pieces short, but if we can get Nady all our problems are solved!

Oh and apparently we just traded for signed the pitcher who was just cut from the Astros, Livan Hernandez.

Oh and apparently we just traded for signed the pitcher who was just cut from the Astros, Livan Hernandez.

I like that signing assuming he was cheap. Although I think he adds a lot less for the Braves then he would for most other teams with less pitching depth.

I like that signing assuming he was cheap. Although I think he adds a lot less for the Braves then he would for most other teams with less pitching depth.

$750,000 is what's being reported. When I first heard it I thought he was going to be the 5th starter, but apparently he's coming out of the bullpen.

$750,000 is what's being reported. When I first heard it I thought he was going to be the 5th starter, but apparently he's coming out of the bullpen.

If he can adjust this maybe a good move.He can spot start as well,we could have used him last year when Hanson missed a lot of starts down the stretch.

Tommy Hanson tabbed for opening day starter and rest of rotation will be JJ, Mike Minor, Brandon Beachy and either Randall Delgado or Julio Teheran. Better pray for no early injuries.

He should be back the first week of May right?

Correct

The Braves' fifth starter will only pitch 3 times before Hudson is back, and they have the deepest rotation in the league, so I don't see it as any big deal.

The Braves traded a minor league pitcher (projected triple-A) to the Reds for a 3B with some pop. Apparently this guy hit a 502-foot HR at Great American Ballpark during one of his visits to the Majors. He's out of options and will begin the season on Atlanta's 25 man roster.

The deal for Juan Francisco might be one of the most one-sided trades I've seen the Braves make.. terrible trade.

To be honest I don't know a lot about either player. It actually seemed like both teams were exchanging very good prospects. If anything though, I'd say the Braves have a slight edge given that Francisco has a little MLB experience and performed well during that time. But, again, I'm not familiar with Hoover or Francisco.

The deal for Juan Francisco might be one of the most one-sided trades I've seen the Braves make.. terrible trade.

To be honest I don't know a lot about either player. It actually seemed like both teams were exchanging very good prospects. If anything though, I'd say the Braves have a slight edge given that Francisco has a little MLB experience and performed well during that time. But, again, I'm not familiar with Hoover or Francisco.

Here's what we got:

Francisco is lazy, injury prone, overweight, error prone, and strikeout prone. But he does have a power swing.

Francisco, 24, also did not endear himself to the Reds for, among other things, showing up to camp overweight and failing to properly rehabilitate a right calf injury over the winter.

Here's what we gave up:

Hoover, 24, went 25-19 with a 3.14 ERA in 99 appearances, including 61 starts, over four years (2008-11) in the Braves farm system and he was converted from a starter to reliever last season. 

Jocketty said this of Hoover: "We saw him again [saturday]. He was 92-94 mph yesterday. He's a sinker-slider guy. He's a late-inning guy. He's young. He's got three options and he's got a power arm.

Terrible deal.

Here's what we got:

Francisco is lazy, injury prone, overweight, error prone, and strikeout prone. But he does have a power swing.

Francisco, 24, also did not endear himself to the Reds for, among other things, showing up to camp overweight and failing to properly rehabilitate a right calf injury over the winter.

Here's what we gave up:

Hoover, 24, went 25-19 with a 3.14 ERA in 99 appearances, including 61 starts, over four years (2008-11) in the Braves farm system and he was converted from a starter to reliever last season. 

Jocketty said this of Hoover: "We saw him again [saturday]. He was 92-94 mph yesterday. He's a sinker-slider guy. He's a late-inning guy. He's young. He's got three options and he's got a power arm.

Terrible deal.

OMG we could have gotten so much more for Hoover. From what I understand Francisco's work ethic is non existent, and he's only likely to put on more weight. This is a direct quote from Dusty Baker "Hopefully, he'll (Francisco) find happiness and get it together in Atlanta,". But he does have some pop, and maybe a change of scenery will do him good.

I really don't understand Wren. We have plenty of pitching and we could have put a guy like Hoover in the bullpen that could also start spot. Instead we sign Hernandez, and trade Hoover for a project.

Christian Martinez was booked for a DUI at 4:30 AM. No word yet on the ramifications.

OK this I don't understand: The Braves just signed Chad Durbin (right-handed RP) after he was released from Washington. Durbin has a career ERA above 5.00. To make room for him the Braves sent the young lefty Yohan Flande to Gwinnett despite going 2-0 with a 0.83 ERA this Spring. Why in the world would we take a seemingly inferior right-hander over what looks to be a good lefty? I see Durbin getting released after a couple of months and Livan Hernandez being traded for some obscure prospect in a few months. There is just too much pitching talent in the Braves system for average or below-average veterans IMO.

You can't call either of them average.. Both Hernandez and Durbin are far below average. I remember Livan pitching for Washington last year and SportsCenter was making fun of him because he was topping out at 83mph.