Coach Barbee preparing for next year's class...

I haven't been a really big basketball fan; in fact the first basketball game I EVER attended was the last game at Beard-Eaves on March 3rd of this year.  I only did so then because it was a "family" thing honoring my mama's baby brother.  True.  Having said that, I learned a lot about the game of basketball this year during March Madness...completed a bracket and everything....and I sure would like to see the Auburn basketball team in the NCAA Tournament....it'd sure make March Madness totally worthwhile imo! ;)

~Starla

Hey Starla, by the way. Good post. Nice pic. Well if you like the NCAA tourney, then you should be excited we have Coach Barbee. The landscape is about to change. We will be in the tourney and a force to be reckoned with in short order.

Hey Starla, by the way. Good post. Nice pic. Well if you like the NCAA tourney, then you should be excited we have Coach Barbee. The landscape is about to change. We will be in the tourney and a force to be reckoned with in short order.

Thank you!  I AM excited to have Coach Barbee!  Just the fact that he's recruiting well for Auburn and has such an impressive record is reason enough to be excited!  I learned a lot about basketball from watching the NCAA tourney.  I just know that I'd enjoy it SO MUCH MORE if Auburn was in it to give me a personal frame of reference, as it were.  Honestly, at the beginning, I was absolutely clueless about most of the teams IN the tourney.  It's hard completing a bracket when you don't know anything about the teams.  If I wasn't dead last....I was next to dead last in the pool!  :P

~Starr

Look at the talent we signed in just a very short recruiting period; what can coach B do with a full

recruiting year??

:wedance:

I believe he can work wonders in finding players for his system. He must clear room on the roster first though.

Look at the talent we signed in just a very short recruiting period; what can coach B do with a full

recruiting year??

I believe he can work wonders in finding players for his system. He must clear room on the roster first though.

But is he going to be able to clear appreciable room. There aren`t too many folks on the roster on schollie to run off. Going to be hard to get all he wants I`m afraid.

recruiting year??

But is he going to be able to clear appreciable room. There aren`t too many folks on the roster on schollie to run off. Going to be hard to get all he wants I`m afraid.

That's the million dollar question. Is he gonna be able to? If he gets what he needs from the current players, will he need to?

recruiting year??

That's the million dollar question. Is he gonna be able to? If he gets what he needs from the current players, will he need to?

I think he can recruit better than what he's got on hand, which means some will be transferring after next season is over.

I think several of the current players should transfer to ECU and play for Lebo. That is who they signed up to play for.  What is interesting is that when Lebo signed, we all lamented the fact that so many of the current players did transfer, leaving us with a shallow team.  Now we need folks to transfer so we can recruit even better players.  The difference is that Barbee seems to be able to actually attract BB players that are typically not considering AU!

I think several of the current players should transfer to ECU and play for Lebo. That is who they signed up to play for.  What is interesting is that when Lebo signed, we all lamented the fact that so many of the current players did transfer, leaving us with a shallow team.  Now we need folks to transfer so we can recruit even better players.  The difference is that Barbee seems to be able to actually attract BB players that are typically not considering AU!

I'll have to disagree here...if all of your players leave every time you have a coaching change, then what does that leave you with? And how does that mentality translate into the other major sports?  You may or may not be able to fill the open spots in any given year with someone better.

This also goes against the "family"  and "Auburn" concept that is so heavily emphasized here....they should come play for Auburn because they love it...not because they love a particular coach. I realize the coach can be a major attraction of course, but they should be sold on the school .

Lastly, I don't think dissing current players and telling them we can get better ones in their place is appropriate either. Why put down what we have rather than have the new coach, coach them up?  Most of the guys coming back have not even played, or played very, very little. There may be some diamonds in the rough. Or maybe they are not rough at all, just need a chance to shine.

Anyway, just do not like seeing  our current Auburn athletes trashed or thrown by the wayside. Maybe I am reading this wrong.

Bill, some or many of the current players may not fit into Barbee's system. They'd be better off transferring to a place where they are better suited and Auburn would be better off with the available space.

A lot of this is Lebo's fault. There will be no (zero) seniors on next year's team. If nothing happens to clear space we won't be able to recruit a single new player next year. It's called Roster Management and Coach Lebo gets an "F".

I look for four or five to leave after next season, leaving room for a reasonable recruiting class.

hey Mike,

I know the scholie situation next year like this one, there was/nothing there unless someone leaves. and we all know Lebo's strength is not recruiting. that was the case here at UTC as well before he went down to Auburn. He needed to hire a good recruiter and have a greater presence, no question.  And i do not doubt some on the current roster might be better off elsewhere and certainly Barbee would be better off picking "his" players to run his offense and defense to fit his style.

I just don't like to see us putting down our players. that was all I meant.

thanks and war eagle!

Bill

Bill, I agree about not putting down the players. I do think several will leave and go to a school where the system suits them better.

That's not a knock on Coach Barbee or the players, it's just the way things usually unfold with coaching changes.

In football when seven to ten players leave it's usually no big deal. If five BB players leave it's a major shift in the program. The shift may be for better or for worse, but there will be a shift.

Archived