Darren Bates a Starter?

WarEagle231

its Daren.  :tease:

and he'll see the field. he's way too good not to see the field! how will you keep our 2nd leading tackler from '09 out of the starting lineup?? ... you dont!

Oh hes definitely going to chest pop somebody.

Bates was moved to LB to add some much needed speed to the middle of the defense. I don't expect him to start, but I do expect him to get solid playing time. I see him playing mostly 3rd and long situations, or any other obvious passing scenario.

Guest auwrangler

he will play the rover spot that chizik used. he will be used to show 3-4 and 4-4 looks to the offense. just like stat tiger has shown with cgm's offense, show one thing and run another. the rover is usually a spy or read and take away type player. as in a dangerous running back comes in the game, and the rover plays him no matter what, make the game 10 on 10 and take away the home run threat. or if receivers release hard down field, the rover takes away a draw or screen to disrupt timing and give the defensive front time to kill the qb. it's a great place to to have a guy with his size speed combo. he played around 210lbs last year. he's stated he wants to play around 225 this year. thats about craig stevens size from last year. exciting.

its Daren.  :tease:

and he'll see the field. he's way too good not to see the field! how will you keep our 2nd leading tackler from '09 out of the starting lineup?? ... you dont!

Exactly. He will start. He's way too good not to be out there atleast 3/4 of the time. Just using him on 3rd downs is a waste of talent

Here is how I see our depth chart at LB for the season opener. Remember Chiz and Roof will cross-train some of these guys. So a few of these studs will move around.  Bates will start tho.  Game experience + talent + Ball hawk= starter.

WLD- Craig Stevens, Jessel Curry, RaRa White, Harris Gaston

MLB- Josh Bynes, Eltoro Freeman, Jake Holland

SLB- Darren Bates, Jonathon Evans, LaDarious Owens

I agree with many of you that Daren is too good not to be on the field (starting).  I don't see the coaches playing him in a situational role where he is only on the field if the offense does this or that or the down and distance is in a certain range.  That would limit his time on the field too much.  I expect one of two things to happen: 1. Our returners in the secondary aren't where we want them to be and Daren ends up starting at a safety spot, and moving into a hybrid position on situational plays (which would explain the "cross training" he did while he couldn't have contact this spring), or he is a starter at weakside lb, explaining C.Stevens move and moving Eltoro to mlb. 

Why would you take a starting freshman all SEC safety off of the field except for certain situations, it just doesn't make sense. 

awesome that Jawara is coming in at 235.....thats great size.

I saw Owens listed in the 230 lb range as well.

And Holland reported at a solid 237.

WOW... I didnt know that. BEAST MODE!

'Most definitely BEAST MODE!!!  WDE!!!!!

'Most definitely BEAST MODE!!!  WDE!!!!!

Very most definitely BEAST MODE!!!!!

Not knowing which Freshman may step up, I expect Bates to be the third LB with Bynum and Stevens.  This will give us the ability to play a 4-3-4 or a 4-2-5 as Bates would provide versatility of coverage and hitting.  This also assumes he has recovered fully from his surgery.

WDE!

Not knowing which Freshman may step up, I expect Bates to be the third LB with Bynum and Stevens.  This will give us the ability to play a 4-3-4 or a 4-2-5 as Bates would provide versatility of coverage and hitting.  This also assumes he has recovered fully from his surgery.

WDE!

When did we move Bynum to LB???? That is even more confusing than the Bates move...i guess he can hit!

:tease:

WDE!

When did we move Bynum to LB???? That is even more confusing than the Bates move...i guess he can hit!

Bynum will help the Lakers 3-peat!

WDE!

A 7 foot linebacker would be pretty intimidating though haha

WDE!

A 7 foot linebacker would be pretty intimidating though haha

lol... funny stuff man. Obviously he meant Bynes... but I do agree that Bates can be a force to reckon with. He has a natural instinct to find the football and make plays.

I just watched the UGA game last night and noticed that we were in a 4/4 defense a lot, with D. Bates being the 4th LB. He not only brings good coverage skills, but is a run stuffing, head hunting machine. Look to T. Roof to employ the 4/4 in a lot of situations this year and keep Bates on the field and all over the field..

Archived