2014 4* QB Sean White commits to AU!

ellitor

By the indications of this ranking makes one believe that we need to offer White immediately, but Neal Burcham shared MVP honors with Jameis Winston and the best scholly offer her earned was SMU. Granted Burcham is just a redshirt frosh and the 2nd string qb for the Mustangs, so he could turn out to be a helluva player.

not flaming, but until Trent Dilfer is on staff with our university, i'll trust Gus.

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the indications of this ranking makes one believe that we need to offer White immediately, but Neal Burcham shared MVP honors with Jameis Winston and the best scholly offer her earned was SMU. Granted Burcham is just a redshirt frosh and the 2nd string qb for the Mustangs, so he could turn out to be a helluva player.

not flaming, but until Trent Dilfer is on staff with our university, i'll trust Gus.

And I do not understand posts like this. Somebody posted the same mess on ITAT. Statements like that right now are completely assinine. Nobody is, nor should be comparing Dilfer's QB thoughts to Gus' because nobody knows what Gus's views are of White yet because White has come on so strong, so late. No need to jump to a conclusion of a QB guru pissing match when we do not know yet if the guru's differ on opinions.

This is just one guy's opinion but after watching White's and Harris' highlights, Harris looks like the much better prospect. Better size, better speed, better arm, steps into his throws well, decent pocket presence, and is also innovative in making plays happen. I disagree with whoever said Harris has too thin/frail of a frame for the SEC...just looks like a high school kid who still has some natural weight to gain plus a college weight program. He'll be ideal dual-threat QB size when the time comes.

As for White, don't get me wrong, the kid looks good. He's efficient, accurate, seems to have good pocket presence, and throws on roll-outs really well. However, he's no threat to run, looks smaller than 6-2 (is it just me??), and lacks the play making ability of Harris. If things fall through with Harris, we should definitely make White the #1 target but I don't see how you can look at their highlights objectively and come away with any conclusion other than Harris is the better prospect, has way more upside, and would fit better in Malzahn's offense.

Yes Harris is the better prospect because he has the most pro potential but White is more polished as a QB today. While White can not make the athletic plays Harris can he is no slouch at being creative because he uses his feet to gives time to make plays with his accurate throws and White has excellent pocket presence. As far as fit for Gus's O history should show you Gus adapts to any abilities of his QBs with the 2 things he does not budge on are ball security and ball placement. I will be happy with whatever Gus decides but if it were me give me the more polished, more accurateQB everyday of the week. I think there are 2 huge areas in sports where potential is overchased a lot of times without success. Those being baseball pitchers and QBs at any level.

247 has White's forty time listed as 5.05, but Chris Todd proved that you don't have to have major wheels at qb to excel in Gus' offense. However, it goes without saying that having a qb that can tuck it and run just adds another dimension to the HUNH that defenses have to worry about. You'll definitely get two completely different styles of coaching from Gus, or at least play calling, in having Sean White taking snaps compared to either Brandon Harris or DeShaun Watson under center.

This is just one guy's opinion but after watching White's and Harris' highlights, Harris looks like the much better prospect. Better size, better speed, better arm, steps into his throws well, decent pocket presence, and is also innovative in making plays happen. I disagree with whoever said Harris has too thin/frail of a frame for the SEC...just looks like a high school kid who still has some natural weight to gain plus a college weight program. He'll be ideal dual-threat QB size when the time comes.

As for White, don't get me wrong, the kid looks good. He's efficient, accurate, seems to have good pocket presence, and throws on roll-outs really well. However, he's no threat to run, looks smaller than 6-2 (is it just me??), and lacks the play making ability of Harris. If things fall through with Harris, we should definitely make White the #1 target but I don't see how you can look at their highlights objectively and come away with any conclusion other than Harris is the better prospect, has way more upside, and would fit better in Malzahn's offense.

Yes Harris is the better prospect because he has the most pro potential but White is more polished as a QB today. While White can not make the athletic plays Harris can he is no slouch at being creative because he uses his feet to gives time to make plays with his accurate throws and White has excellent pocket presence. As far as fit for Gus's O history should show you Gus adapts to any abilities of his QBs with the 2 things he does not budge on are ball security and ball placement. I will be happy with whatever Gus decides but if it were me give me the more polished, more accurateQB everyday of the week. I think there are 2 huge areas in sports where potential is overchased a lot of times without success. Those being baseball pitchers and QBs at any level.

E, why isn't Brandon Harris at the Elite 11? I believe 247 considers him the #1 dual thread qb, so I figured he would have easily gotten an invite. I assume he was invited, but had prior obligations.

E, why isn't Brandon Harris at the Elite 11? I believe 247 considers him the #1 dual thread qb, so I figured he would have easily gotten an invite. I assume he was invited, but had prior obligations.

He was not invited. He threw at the Texas and Ohio prelim camps but did not earn an invite. The invites were done similar to sorority call outs but on twitter 3 weeks ago.

I have been very impressed with SW. It sounds like he killed it at Elite 11. If we don't get BH (which I think we will, JMO) I would not be the least bit disappointed with SW. E, you've pretty much said it all, good pocket presence, able to make a play with his feet when he needs to but his strength is by far and away his accuracy. Good luck to Sean wherever he does end up signing, I think that he will be very successful.

I believe in Gus's offense, the main thing is the QB has to be a THREAT to run ... Not necessarily a 1000 yard rusher. Todd was half gimpy and didn't need to take a hit. An average speed QB that is a threat to get 5 yards and can take the occasional hit HAS to be respected by the D. That should be adequate for a highly efficient QB

Yes Harris is the better prospect because he has the most pro potential but White is more polished as a QB today. While White can not make the athletic plays Harris can he is no slouch at being creative because he uses his feet to gives time to make plays with his accurate throws and White has excellent pocket presence. As far as fit for Gus's O history should show you Gus adapts to any abilities of his QBs with the 2 things he does not budge on are ball security and ball placement. I will be happy with whatever Gus decides but if it were me give me the more polished, more accurate QB everyday of the week. I think there are 2 huge areas in sports where potential is overchased a lot of times without success. Those being baseball pitchers and QBs at any level.

True, I suppose K. Frazier was a good "prospect" also (not to say he won't still have a successful career)...but just looking at his progress so far = underwhelming. Harris just seems to have that "it" factor you want in a QB...smart and confident (almost to a fault) with all the tools to be a nightmare to scheme against. I agree with what you are saying about raw potential being too overvalued in QB's but IMO Harris is way more than just undeveloped potential...some of his QB skills are pretty mature for his age. The kid doesn't seem like a big-time "bust" risk to me. I'd roll the dice on Harris any day of the week and twice on Sundays over White. But I would be thrilled with either one of them...heck, for all I know White could be the next Andrew Luck. 4.3 GPA? Obviously one smart young man. You got it right, Gus will adapt and get the best out of whoever is under center!

Sorry if I missed this in the last 10 pages, but what is White's interest level in Auburn? To me, the simple answer to this debate rests on that. If White is ready to commit to Auburn, and wants to call Auburn home for the next 3-4 years, we should take his committment ASAP, and still go after Harris and Watson. If we miss on both, we still get a solid QB, and shift our focus to TQ in 2015.

If White is still exploring all his options, and isn't gung ho about Auburn, then we offer him with the understanding that we are still going after other QB targets that are higher on our board. That puts the decision in his hands as to whether he WANTS to play for Auburn or not.

Regardless, his play at the Elite 11 seems to be legit, and I think we should offer him, and take 2 QB's if that is what we have to do.

Sorry if I missed this in the last 10 pages, but what is White's interest level in Auburn? To me, the simple answer to this debate rests on that. If White is ready to commit to Auburn, and wants to call Auburn home for the next 3-4 years, we should take his committment ASAP, and still go after Harris and Watson. If we miss on both, we still get a solid QB, and shift our focus to TQ in 2015.

If White is still exploring all his options, and isn't gung ho about Auburn, then we offer him with the understanding that we are still going after other QB targets that are higher on our board. That puts the decision in his hands as to whether he WANTS to play for Auburn or not.

Regardless, his play at the Elite 11 seems to be legit, and I think we should offer him, and take 2 QB's if that is what we have to do.

That would potentially leave us with 6 QBs on the roster for next year (NM, KF, JW, JJ, BH (assuming he signs), and SW (assuming he signs)). I doubt that the coaches want to do that as it takes up too many scholarships.

That would potentially leave us with 6 QBs on the roster for next year (NM, KF, JW, JJ, BH (assuming he signs), and SW (assuming he signs)). I doubt that the coaches want to do that as it takes up too many scholarships.

True, although I honestly think that if JW or KF do not win the starting job, we will lose one/both of them. With NM having two years left, and if JJ is able to redshirt, KF and JW will definitely see the writing on the wall. I like KF and JW, and don't want to see either of them transfer, but I understand that they need to do what is best for them, and that just may be playing on a smaller stage to get some exposure for the NFL/CFL.

the main thing is the QB has to be a THREAT to run

How many times do I have to destroy this myth about Gus's offense with the production of the Tulsa QBs in 2006 and 2007 to the tune of 95 pass TDs in 2 seasons with 2 nonmobile QBs before people will listen? For the millionth time, having a dual threat QB is great but Gus will not have one at the expense of ball security, ball placement, and making good decisions.

As I already explained that is not how QB recruiting is done period! You offer the top uncommitted guy on you list. If he commits elsewhere then you offer the next guy in line. If BH is still the #1 uncommitted on our coaches' board under no circumstances do you offer a guy lower on your list. Now if the list changes and White becomes as high or higher on the coaches' list based on what he has done at The Opening or the throwing he will do for our staff when he visits Auburn in a week then you offer him.

And White is very interested in Auburn. He already says "he loves Coach Lashlee."

How many times do I have to destroy this myth about Gus's offense with the production of the Tulsa QBs in 2006 and 2007 to the tune of 95 pass TDs in 2 seasons with 2 nonmobile QBs before people will listen? For the millionth time, having a dual threat QB is great but Gus will not have one at the expense of ball security, ball placement, and making good decisions.

Dude, I have no idea. It's starting to drive me crazy. When it comes to Gus's offense (or any offense,) I would MUCH rather have a super-accurate QB than a dual-threat one with a hit on accuracy.

for the millionth time, stop reading things through tunnel vision ...

take a second and go back and read my post again ... and think about the word THREAT, from the stand point of "keeping them honest for a few positive yards gained" and not THREAT like the second coming of mike vick ... that is the reason i purposefully used the 5 yard and average speed comments. chris todd was not ever a threat to gain 5 yards on a consistent basis until a few runs at the end of the season where he gained on a few nice runs against either bama or dawgs. so no one EVER respected todd on the run.

whereas with tulsa, they respected the run because those average speed QB's were a THREAT to run not because they would actually run 20-25 times a game ...

my point is exactly what you reference about the tulsa qb's.

i expect our offenses to look more like what gus did at tulsa than anything we have seen at auburn or arky ...

to that end, here is a quote from wikipedia (yea, yea, i know ...)

During the 2007 season Malzahn emerged as one of the premier offensive coordinators in the nation, as Tulsa ranked 1st in the nation in total yards per game, ahead of Texas Tech and Hawaiʻi, and with a more balanced attack than both teams. The Golden Hurricane also ranked 3rd in the nation in passing and led their conference in scoring. Tulsa became the first team in NCAA history to have a 5,000-yard passer, a 1,000-yard rusher and three 1,000-yard receivers in a single season.

In 2008, Tulsa was again the nation's most prolific attack, leading with nearly 7,980 total yards of offense averaging 570 yards per game. The Golden Hurricane were ranked 2nd in the nation in scoring behind Oklahoma, scoring over 47 points per game. Tulsa not only ranked 2nd in the nation in scoring that year, but finished with the 2nd highest scoring offense in the history of major college football. The offense was also the nation's most balanced attack, ranking 5th in the nation in rushing and 9th in passing. The Tulsa quarterbacks finished 3rd in the nation in passing efficiency, behind only Oklahoma and Texas.

and yes, if we have a true DT QB, then I expect gus to have matured the capabilities of his offense by seeing what the added pressure of a running qb can do to another team. i would expect my above reference to tulsa to be more or less true, with more emphasis on the ground game (including qb - if his capabilities allow) than the pass game. i dont expect to have a pile of 4000 yard passing qb's. i do expect to see +3500 yard passers every year.

I think being an accurate passer is probably a good trait to have in a QB. As far as foot speed goes, I haven't done the exact calculations but my guess is a 5.05 QB, with a 5 yard lead breaking past the LOS, probably won't get caught by a 4.5 guy until he gains 20 yards.

and yes, if we have a true DT QB, then I expect gus to have matured the capabilities of his offense by seeing what the added pressure of a running qb can do to another team. i would expect my above reference to tulsa to be more or less true, with more emphasis on the ground game (including qb - if his capabilities allow) than the pass game. i dont expect to have a pile of 4000 yard passing qb's. i do expect to see +3500 yard passers every year.

An efficient accurate passer is much more valueable than a DT QB just for the sake of having that option. The natural affect of Gus' run game through the HUNH will make the D very honest in itself. People have fallen in love with the DT QB just because a QB can run. Newsflash.What makes the DT QBs like Cam, RG3, John Elway, and Steve Young so great is the same darn thing that makes QBs like Joe Montana, Peyton Manning, and Tom Brady great. All of those QBs are or were very accurate passers. There never has been nor ever will be a substitute for a QB in football who is deadly accurate and at least has solid arm strength.

@joshnewberg247 1h

Sean White is my pick for Elite 11 champ. Actually, no doubt in my mind. He outplayed the field by a wide margin this week.

Sean was also named 7 on 7 MVP.

I guess he can kiss that 3* rating goodbye huh ? I'm sitting here watching ESPNU right now and I'll tell you what, this kid is deadly accurate on his short and intermediate passes in all types of routes. What a breath of fresh air that is. There was only one incomplete pass the entire TD drive just now and that was when a WR let up on his route trying to catch a look at a closing safety. I'll take a 5.0 runner but a very accurate passer any day of the week. Heck even Dan Marino was able to run for yards if he had a good enough lead.

An efficient accurate passer is much more valueable than a DT QB just for the sake of having that option. The natural affect of Gus' run game through the HUNH will make the D very honest in itself. People have fallen in love with the DT QB just because a QB can run. Newsflash.What makes the DT QBs like Cam, RG3, John Elway, and Steve Young so great is the same darn thing that makes QBs like Joe Montana, Peyton Manning, and Tom Brady great. All of those QBs are or were very accurate passers. There never has been nor ever will be a substitute for a QB in football who is deadly accurate and at least has solid arm strength.

Exactly. Give Coach Malzahn and Coach Lashlee a Brandon Cox type QB that can run when called upon to do so, they'll give the opposing DCs headaches.

I'll be extremely happy with White if Harris decides to go to LSU (I'm actually starting to like him a little more with each quote that I read from the Elite 11 coaches/teachers.

Archived