If we get screwed out of the bcscg

tiger88

IMO, this would be our best chance for a split poll if we are screwed out of the bcscg and win our bcs game.

I see usc pounding a defenseless ou team in the orange if thats where they both end up.

If we could beat cal (especially if we did it impressively), we might get a split championship.

I don't see any other scenario that ends up with us out of the bcscg and still getting a split. A win against utah wouldn't impress anyone.

The rose bowl gets second choice of teams and could pick us although the bcs could override it if it thought it were in the best interests of the bowls, regional factors considered.

Until we get a playoff system I say 1-2 and 3-4 should automatically play and if there are 2 undefeated teams left after bcs works out it would be a split championship.

I know the sugar bowl would be easier for many AU fans to travel to but playing in the Rose Bowl would be pretty cool too. How long since an sec team played there?

Those who could afford it would have to suck it up and go to support our Tigers.

I know the sugar bowl would be easier for many AU fans to travel to but playing in the Rose Bowl would be pretty cool too. How long since an sec team played there?

Those who could afford it would have to suck it up and go to support our Tigers.

125943[/snapback]

If you knew your football history, you would never even bring up that Rose Bowl question. I think I know, but I'll not give the answer so as not to wake up the bammer gloating about their bowl history. (i'm whispering so no one else can hear this.)

1. The rose bowl gets first choice b/c USC is (most likely) in the BCS championship game, therefore it can't go to the Rose as the Pac-10 Champion.

2. The rose bowl also will automatically get the Big 10 Champion if they aren't in the BCS championship game.

3. If the SEC Champion (hopefully us) doesn't go to the BCS championship game, they will automatically go to the Sugar Bowl.

The choices are for the remaining bids. There will be one remaining bid for the rose, one for the sugar, and 2 for the fiesta, taken up by ACC champ, Big East Champ and the 2 remaining at large teams (tejas and utar).

I'm pretty sure that these are contractual agreements between the BCS and the conferences. Therefore, we (if we win the SEC championship) have virtually NO shot going to the rose bowl.

My wife would love to see the rose parade, though.

If we end up going to the Sugar Bowl, I'd like to see us get matched up against Texas, unless beating California would give us a better chance for a split NC. I don't think it would matter if USC and OU go to the Orange Bowl. The winner of that game would almost certainly be number 1 in both polls. If we play Texas in the Sugar, and beat them handily, maybe alot more people would realize who really deserved to be in the Orange Bowl. Maybe Either USC or OU will get upset, and we won't have to worry about if we get left out or not. If we don't beat Tennessee again, it won't matter either. :au:

Guest Tigrinum Major
If we end up going to the Sugar Bowl, I'd like to see us get matched up against Texas, unless beating California would give us a better chance for a split NC. I don't think it would matter if USC and OU go to the Orange Bowl. The winner of that game would almost certainly be number 1 in both polls. If we play Texas in the Sugar, and beat them handily, maybe alot more people would realize who really deserved to be in the Orange Bowl. Maybe Either USC or OU will get upset, and we won't have to worry about if we get left out or not. If we don't beat Tennessee again, it won't matter either.  :au:

126134[/snapback]

We will never play Cal in the Rose. Michigan is locked in and that would be our only opponent possible in the Rose. Not a very attractive match-up to impress voters with either.

Texas in the Sugar won't happen. Cal is higher ranked and gets the Rose Bowl as an at-large since USC will be in the championship game. Utah gets the other at large since they are in the BCS top six. Which screws us BIG time if we don't beat UT, since they will get the BCS bid and we end up in the Cotton more than likely. That is the only way we end up playing Texas, who will also probably be there, win or lose against Texas A&M.

Try this scenario on for size: Texas loses. This probably puts Boise State and their ridiculous WAC selves in the top six of the BCS. USC wins out. Cal wins out. OU wins out. Auburn wins out. Va Tech wins out. BC wins out. That probably all adds up to this:

Orange - USC - OU

Sugar - Auburn - Va Tech

Fiesta - Boise State - BC

Rose - Mich - Utah

Think the folks in Pasadena aren't cheering for Texas this weekend?

Guest Tigrinum Major
IMO, this would be our best chance for a split poll if we are screwed out of the bcscg and win our bcs game.

I see usc pounding a defenseless ou team in the orange if thats where they both end up.

If we could beat cal (especially if we did it impressively), we might get a split championship.

I don't see any other scenario that ends up with us out of the bcscg and still getting a split. A win against utah wouldn't impress anyone.

The rose bowl gets second choice of teams and could pick us although the bcs could override it if it thought it were in the best interests of the bowls, regional factors considered.

Until we get a playoff system I say 1-2 and 3-4 should automatically play and if there are 2 undefeated teams left after bcs works out it would be a split championship.

125943[/snapback]

Michigan is locked into the Rose. We would never play Cal in any bowl, unless we both lose our next games and some how end up in one of those ridculous tie-in bowls, but I don't think there is any scenario where we would play Cal.

Guest Tigrinum Major
If we end up going to the Sugar Bowl, I'd like to see us get matched up against Texas, unless beating California would give us a better chance for a split NC. I don't think it would matter if USC and OU go to the Orange Bowl. The winner of that game would almost certainly be number 1 in both polls. If we play Texas in the Sugar, and beat them handily, maybe alot more people would realize who really deserved to be in the Orange Bowl. Maybe Either USC or OU will get upset, and we won't have to worry about if we get left out or not. If we don't beat Tennessee again, it won't matter either.  :au:

126134[/snapback]

We will never play Cal in the Rose. Michigan is locked in and that would be our only opponent possible in the Rose. Not a very attractive match-up to impress voters with either.

Texas in the Sugar won't happen. Cal is higher ranked and gets the Rose Bowl as an at-large since USC will be in the championship game. Utah gets the other at large since they are in the BCS top six. Which screws us BIG time if we don't beat UT, since they will get the BCS bid and we end up in the Cotton more than likely. That is the only way we end up playing Texas, who will also probably be there, win or lose against Texas A&M.

Try this scenario on for size: Texas loses. This probably puts Boise State and their ridiculous WAC selves in the top six of the BCS. USC wins out. Cal wins out. OU wins out. Auburn wins out. Va Tech wins out. BC wins out. That probably all adds up to this:

Orange - USC - OU

Sugar - Auburn - Va Tech

Fiesta - Boise State - BC

Rose - Mich - Utah

Think the folks in Pasadena aren't cheering for Texas this weekend?

126146[/snapback]

While we (or at least I am) are spitting out wild and wacky scenarios for the BCS, consider this nightmare:

Auburn loses to UT. Texas loses to Texas A&M. USC loses to Norte Dame AND UCLA. OU somehow loses to Iowa State/Colorado/Nebraska. Cal wins out. Va Tech wins out. BC wins out.

This would be your BCS lineup:

Orange - Boise State - Utah

Sugar - UT - Va Tech

Fiesta - BC - Iowa State/Colorado/Nebraska

Rose - Mich - USC

Cal misses out because they are not Pac-10 champs and do not have an at-large available. I realize it would still be difficult for Boise State and Utah to leapfrog everyone, even if they are the only undefeateds, but whoever said this whole thing was logical? Unfortunately, it will take some travesty such as the one I have just described in order for the BCS to ever have the plug pulled.

Cal probably makes it since they would then be ranked Number One in the human polls and Boise State gets left out. But wouldn't it be fun to see ABC executives squirm a little?

Okay, Known....., in your scenerio, where does Cal go??? I can't believe they get left out entirely of the BCS. Just love this BCS system.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Okay, Known....., in your scenerio, where does Cal go??? I can't believe they get left out entirely of the BCS. Just love this BCS system.

126152[/snapback]

They go to wherever PAC-10 Number Twos go, which is the Holiday Bowl in San Diego, which I hear is lovely this time of year.

Granted, it is a farout supposition, but check out another scenario in my later post.

Archived