The Mood of the Auburn Fans Around Me at the Ole Miss Game

BHDAU1

So I got to go to my first Auburn game this season this last weekend for the Ole Miss game and like always, I had a wonderful time other than the outcome this week of the game. The town of Auburn seems to grow exponentially every time I get down there! I sat in section 8, 4 rows up from the field and I had all Auburn fans around me except for maybe 4 Ole Miss fans a few rows back. I can tell you guys without a doubt that it seemed like everyone around me was questioning what Gus is thinking with his play calls and the collective sighs and "oh brothers" were clearly audible in the stadium on several occasions. There were even some boos which I have rarely ever heard in Jordan Hare in all the years I have been going to games. Without an exception everyone I talked to at length either around me at the game or in the restaurants/bars after the game is getting fed up with mainly 2 gripes: #1. Putting JJ in the game at any time. All that I spoke with thinks that it screws up the flow of the offense for SW, AND that he is liability to turn it over every time he has the ball in his hands. #2. The dreaded 1st down run up the middle seemingly every time Auburn gets a first down the next play is up the middle. Those I spoke to as well as myself, cannot figure out why Gus continues to do that. The opposing teams know it too, and the d-ends crash down and the secondary is on the way to the line of scrimmage the second the ball is snapped. I dont know the stats as fact, but my memory would say that it more often than not ends with at most a 2 yrd gain, and more likely no gain or a loss. I guess the main point of this thread is that the feeling I got was that Gus is losing support every game right now and if he doesn't start changing some things up and breaking habits then the support will continue to wither away and we all know what happens when the fans stop showing up. I hope Gus can get this turned around but I don't see him having more than one more season to do so before the fans are all against him. Just my .02 cents from the many, many, conversations I had with Auburn fans.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auburn bring in some good young players, get a few of the hurt guys back on the field and Gus will go back to being a genius again.

Fans will just have to get used to the incomprehensible play-calling. Gus plays football his way - which is to pit himself against the 11 defensive players on each play. He seems to be using first down to gauge the D players' tendencies or something. It can't possibly be to gain yardage.

Concerning JJ's appearances, I think Gus must have consulted an old sports psychology book or something in an effort to rehabilitate him. I don't get it. I can't imagine throwing the kid haphazardly into the game is going to yield about anything positive for the team or JJ. I'd rather he just play JJ for entire drives or not at all. At least Gus won't be killing momentum with the substitutions.

I was doing my best to get everyone in my area to stand up and yell and cheer the entire game when we needed a stop on third down or any down we were on defense the 4th quarter and the Auburn players on the sideline were doing their best to get the fans up and cheering as well. That was never an issue when I was in school there or really for that matter, in any of the games I have been to since I graduated. That tells me something too, people are tired of being disappointed by the defense and the team in general. I wasn't there so I cant say for sure, but I'm guessing that the crowd was like they have always been early in the season and after the let downs have settled into where they are now. I know that I spent at least $1400 bucks to make the trip when you figure in 2 nights at $300 per night, $200 for a pair of tickets before the season started, and the food and shopping my fiancee and I did. That's a lot of money to me, and it really stunk to have spent that to watch them lose. I think that we will see many people voting with their wallets soon if things don't turn around quickly. Auburn is such a special place it has its own draw but money is money, and it isnt cheap to visit. Fans want to feel good after games and this year that hasnt been often enough.

We do know what happens when they stop showing up. They bandwagon on to another university that is winning.

I wouldn't go that far man. All the Auburn people I know are Auburn thru and thru. We don't seem to have the bandwagon fans that other schools have. Maybe we run in completely different circles but I don't know anyone who would do that. What I meant was that most people don't want to spend a lot of money to likely feel crappy after the game. I meant when fans stop showing up and spending money the coach is usually shown the door. The almighty dollar rules. I hope we never get to that point. I am pulling for this team regardless!

I was doing my best to get everyone in my area to stand up and yell and cheer the entire game when we needed a stop on third down or any down we were on defense the 4th quarter and the Auburn players on the sideline were doing their best to get the fans up and cheering as well. That was never an issue when I was in school there or really for that matter, in any of the games I have been to since I graduated. That tells me something too, people are tired of being disappointed by the defense and the team in general. I wasn't there so I cant say for sure, but I'm guessing that the crowd was like they have always been early in the season and after the let downs have settled into where they are now. I know that I spent at least $1400 bucks to make the trip when you figure in 2 nights at $300 per night, $200 for a pair of tickets before the season started, and the food and shopping my fiancee and I did. That's a lot of money to me, and it really stunk to have spent that to watch them lose. I think that we will see many people voting with their wallets soon if things don't turn around quickly. Auburn is such a special place it has its own draw but money is money, and it isnt cheap to visit. Fans want to feel good after games and this year that hasnt been often enough.

All I can say is that the crowd at Arkansas needed no encouragement to get behind their Tigers. If the home crowd isn't willing to put in an effort to get behind a team that is fighting like this one, then we have a bigger problem. That being said, based on what I'm hearing from the coaches, there hasn't been a let down in crowd participation, so maybe you experienced an isolated incident.

Oh... and any team can lose at any time, so if you expect a win for your investment when going to a game, then you are going for the wrong reason and you're better off watching at home with the really great camera angles and the commentary to tell you everything that's going on. I'm taking my fiance to the Georgia game and the only thing that I'm disappointed about is the 11 am start, because she won't get to experience real tailgating at Auburn. Other than that, I know, win or lose, the team will give their best and I'll be in Auburn with my fiance... that's worth the investment.

Auburn bring in some good young players, get a few of the hurt guys back on the field and Gus will go back to being a genius again.

Normally I would agree, but the first down run up the middle is getting pretty bad. We're running against 9 defenders on first downs, now. We have to be a little less predictable, there.

All I can say is that the crowd at Arkansas needed no encouragement to get behind their Tigers. If the home crowd isn't willing to put in an effort to get behind a team that is fighting like this one, then we have a bigger problem. That being said, based on what I'm hearing from the coaches, there hasn't been a let down in crowd participation, so maybe you experienced an isolated incident.

Oh... and any team can lose at any time, so if you expect a win for your investment when going to a game, then you are going for the wrong reason and you're better off watching at home with the really great camera angles and the commentary to tell you everything that's going on. I'm taking my fiance to the Georgia game and the only thing that I'm disappointed about is the 11 am start, because she won't get to experience real tailgating at Auburn. Other than that, I know, win or lose, the team will give their best and I'll be in Auburn with my fiance... that's worth the investment.

Well said. I took my at the time 9 year old son to the Kentucky game in 09 expecting a win of course. Didn't happen and as we left the stadium I was disappointed and thinking how the trip was ruined for him and all he said was "daddy, when can we come back!". After that I realized it isn't all about the win or loss. The coaching thing will work itself out no matter what fans say or think. If Gus continues to struggle for the next couple of years he will be replaced, if he turns it around he will stay and that's about as simple as it gets.

We do know what happens when they stop showing up. They bandwagon on to another university that is winning.

I wouldn't go that far man. All the Auburn people I know are Auburn thru and thru. We don't seem to have the bandwagon fans that other schools have. Maybe we run in completely different circles but I don't know anyone who would do that. What I meant was that most people don't want to spend a lot of money to likely feel crappy after the game. I meant when fans stop showing up and spending money the coach is usually shown the door. The almighty dollar rules. I hope we never get to that point. I am pulling for this team regardless!

We have a ton more than we used to.

If someone is letting a football game ruin their entire day then they need a life check. Tell your Bammer neighbor to go F themselves and stop living off the accomplishments of some kid they don't know. I've made the trip to places like Gainesville, watched us get blown out by 40, and still had a blast. Lol our motto was if our team can't score in Gainesville then by God we will!

I have zero use for anyone that boo's Auburn. Write an email or make a call to those in charge.

And what happens if we fire Gus? Another ex and staff on the payroll. How much will we have to dish out to get a good coach to come here, if you can even convince them they will have more than a couple of years to work. Who is going to pay for that?

Auburn people always have and always will go to Auburn games. If we aren't winning then the prices will be adjusted and then those that have been priced out of season tickets will get them and those that come to see friends,family, and enjoy and remember their times at Auburn will come.

My circles consist of 4 generations of Auburn graduates btw. All would and will tell you we have many many more bandwagons than we use to.

I don't believe this at all. I know a ton of AU fans/alum that are AU thru and thru and wouldn't go bandwagon mode just because AU is tanking. In fact, I think that's why AU has so many loyal fans - the program has always been inconsistent and the fans are a bunch of tough folks that stick with their team no matter what.

To address the OP, I felt like the crowd was rocking in the first half when the defense stood up and laid the wood several times. The crowd loved Lawson's intensity and the noticeable improvement and high energy he brings back. The crowd went freaking wild when Jovon was running the ball effectively. Sad that Carl isn't 100% and we don't have experienced depth to carry the D through second half of games. Sad that Gus sat Jovon after he got the offense down the field.

Again, I had a great time other than the game. I am not an idiot, I know that we are not going to win them all. I have been going to games for YEARS. I graduated from Auburn after paying out of state tuition for 5 years. When I lived in Birmingham before I sold my company there, I bought season tickets for 8 seats together for 5 years! I know what I can expect and not expect. You are missing the whole point of my post which is crowd support is eroding and I saw it first hand. I even said that earlier in the season I'm sure the crowd was like it normally is; involved and cheering the whole time. That was NOT the case in my section this game. If you were there and think differently then let me know. Perhaps with you watching television with all the good angles you couldn't tell that. Secondly, maybe everyone else isn't like you and can't afford to spend 1K every home game to visit? Do you think those people will continue to show up and sell out the stadium to watch Auburn lose? I can tell you most certainly they will not with what I heard this last weekend.

Thank you sir. That is what I'm talking about.

Let me further clarify my point about eroding fan support. I don't mean that the stadium will be empty! When season tickets don't sell out quickly or at all and they have to break them up to single game tix, when the price has to be dropped, or when the stadium is not even technically sold out, that is seen as a problem by the athletics dept. That falls on the head coach and the state of the program. I know for a fact that Auburn fans are as loyal as anyone in the country, I am one! Was anyone else in this thread actually at the Ole Miss game and sitting somewhere besides the student section?

Auburn people always have and always will go to Auburn games. If we aren't winning then the prices will be adjusted and then those that have been priced out of season tickets will get them and those that come to see friends,family, and enjoy and remember their times at Auburn will come.

Don't hold your breath on that. This AD has "reportedly" operated in the red two straight years, AU is one of the highest tickets to be had in the conference. I can just about guarantee you Jay Jacobs won't be reducing ticket prices because AU isn't winning.

I don't believe this at all. I know a ton of AU fans/alum that are AU thru and thru and wouldn't go bandwagon mode just because AU is tanking. In fact, I think that's why AU has so many loyal fans - the program has always been inconsistent and the fans are a bunch of tough folks that stick with their team no matter what.

To address the OP, I felt like the crowd was rocking in the first half when the defense stood up and laid the wood several times. The crowd loved Lawson's intensity and the noticeable improvement and high energy he brings back. The crowd went freaking wild when Jovon was running the ball effectively. Sad that Carl isn't 100% and we don't have experienced depth to carry the D through second half of games. Sad that Gus sat Jovon after he got the offense down the field.

I know plenty of those also. Four generations of grads. Compared to the past yes we do have a large and increasing number of bandwagon fans. Its the nature of America these days.

Don't hold your breath on that. This AD has "reportedly" operated in the red two straight years, AU is one of the highest tickets to be had in the conference. I can just about guarantee you Jay Jacobs won't be reducing ticket prices because AU isn't winning.

That comment was made in response to the people not showing up comment. You are telling me that his response to people not buying tickets and not coming to games will be to raise the prices?

Do you guys honestly believe that Gus will be given another 2 years? We have won 1 SEC game out of the last 8 right? You do remember that Chizik was fired 2 years after winning THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP? I know there were some other problems going on with player discipline but I think Gus has one more year tops to turn this around. If you say the buyout is too much then you haven't been paying attention. Auburn alumni have plenty of money and so does the university. If the powers that be determine that is what they want that is what they will get. To think otherwise would be foolish.

When AU stopped OM at the five on a fourth and one play....that's as good as it gets....sounded on TV like the place was rocking.

As for ticket prices....it's hard to find actual "list" price comparisons but go to the ticketing sites and AU is nowhere to be found on the list of expensive tickets....not even among SEC schools. You want to see AU play football and pay very little for a ticket....Idaho tickets can be had for about $25. It's supply and demand....bi surprise huh :dunno:

Normally I would agree, but the first down run up the middle is getting pretty bad. We're running against 9 defenders on first downs, now. We have to be a little less predictable, there.

I wonder how many even know how many yards we averaged on first down against Ole Miss.

LOL... I think we gained more 1st downs on 1st down than 3rd down.

Let me further clarify my point about eroding fan support. I don't mean that the stadium will be empty! When season tickets don't sell out quickly or at all and they have to break them up to single game tix, when the price has to be dropped, or when the stadium is not even technically sold out, that is seen as a problem by the athletics dept. That falls on the head coach and the state of the program. I know for a fact that Auburn fans are as loyal as anyone in the country, I am one! Was anyone else in this thread actually at the Ole Miss game and sitting somewhere besides the student section?

I was there but sat in close proximity to the student section. We were rockin it, especially in the first half. Frustration of course set in as the game progressed, and quite a few drunkard/high students were booing and acting like asses, and cursing the coaches (NOT) the players.

It just seems so damn easy to fix this?

That comment was made in response to the people not showing up comment. You are telling me that his response to people not buying tickets and not coming to games will be to raise the prices?

He won't raise prices, but I doubt he reduces them in light if the fact that he has reported a loss the last two years.

Just my opinion Tex. I don't see JJ cutting prices based on performance of the team or lack of fans purchasing season tickets. AU football has been a roller coaster for a long time, yet ticket prices have increased.

Archived