Auburn Track and Field

AU64

I expect some people are surprised that we field men's and women's teams for indoor and outdoor track since there is almost no publicity about the teams and no recent accomplishments either.

The recent Indoor Meet at Arkansas....the women finished 10th and the men were 12th out of 12.

Does anyone care enough to suggest that something needs to be done to field more competitive teams?

Not sure how many scholarships AU actually awards but the NCAA allows 12 for men and 18 for women

Seems maybe we should be getting a better return on our investment. Just wondering.... :dunno: .

Things have went south with track over the years. The ladies won a national championship in 2007 but that's the most recent pinnacle for either team. It needs addressing.

I know Flex hangs with the track team. I'm sure he can shed some light on their issues.

To summarize....lack of talent.....uh.....where have we heard that before?

I guess nothing will change until a few people start pressing the issue. JMO but if we going to spend the money to field a team and pay expenses for them to travel all over the US to big meets....we ought to be more competitive.

I know Flex hangs with the track team. I'm sure he can shed some light on their issues.

To summarize....lack of talent.....uh.....where have we heard that before?

I guess nothing will change until a few people start pressing the issue. JMO but if we going to spend the money to field a team and pay expenses for them to travel all over the US to big meets....we ought to be more competitive.

Could have a lot to do with lack of facilities. It's not like Auburn puts a premium on the Track and Field team. There are a lot of schools that the top athletes can go to which offer them stellar facilities for their sport.

We have a lady that has qualified for the Olympic trials in pole vaulting. We also have several other excellent track and field performers. Just not a lot of depth. Will do some better in the outside trials I believe.

We have a lady that has qualified for the Olympic trials in pole vaulting. We also have several other excellent track and field performers. Just not a lot of depth. Will do some better in the outside trials I believe.

Our best performers were three people who finished 3rd and the teams scored only 55 points out of a total of 1300 total possible points.

Granted were were not far behind many other SEC schools but it has not been that long ago when AU was a top 5 program at least. I'm thinking to either get serious or get out....JMO

Use to love to go to see track and field when Mel was there. Man talk about a cheap date.................

Even cheaper when Wilburt Hutsell was the coach....and the track meets were held in Cliff Hare.

I think Rosen was his assistant back in the day when the ODK cake race was held each year and the coaches were hanging around the finish line to see if there were some cross country candidates....plus a friend of mine ran a good time in some kind of Frat track meet and ended up on the AU team and lettered. The days before professional college sports.

Use to love to go to see track and field when Mel was there. Man talk about a cheap date.................

Even cheaper when Wilburt Hutsell was the coach....and the track meets were held in Cliff Hare.

I think Rosen was his assistant back in the day when the ODK cake race was held each year and the coaches were hanging around the finish line to see if there were some cross country candidates....plus a friend of mine ran a good time in some kind of Frat track meet and ended up on the AU team and lettered. The days before professional college sports.

My best friend in high school won the state in the 440 yard dash 3 years in a row on that track and signed with Auburn to play football

My best friend in high school won the state in the 440 yard dash 3 years in a row on that track and signed with Auburn to play football

State HS meets were at AU.....saw some really good times back in the early 1960s....Murphy in Mobile was the dominant school if I recall though one year Richmond Flowers about won the meet single handed for Lanier-Montgomery I think it was. He won or finished second in dashes, hurdles,broad jump I think and relays with times that would look good today. Went to Tennessee because his father who was AG was getting death threats over his integration policies. I covered the meet for the Plainsman and a couple Alabama papers one year. As I said, good old days of real amateur sports.

HS track was pretty strong in those day with good athletes in all levels.

State HS meets were at AU.....saw some really good times back in the early 1960s....Murphy in Mobile was the dominant school if I recall though one year Richmond Flowers about won the meet single handed for Lanier-Montgomery I think it was. He won or finished second in dashes, hurdles,broad jump I think and relays with times that would look good today. Went to Tennessee because his father who was AG was getting death threats over his integration policies. I covered the meet for the Plainsman and a couple Alabama papers one year. As I said, good old days of real amateur sports.

HS track was pretty strong in those day with good athletes in all levels.

Yep Richmond was a fantastic runner and I remember why he went to UT.

• 2 weeks later...

When Rosen was coaching we sent people to the Olympics we won 4 Consecutive SEC Indoor championships and we won 1 Outdoor Championship in late 1970's to 1980. As I remember he left Auburn to coach the Olympic team and then when he finished coaching the Olympics he was brought back as a consultant and not as the coach.

Harvey Glance did pretty well and left for bama I think...been downhill since then best I can recall

Archived