Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

22 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I think Malzahn is no longer in a position at this point in his time at AU to have total control. With the offensive problems with his current staffing, he is being guided as we all know from others who have reviewed the deficiencies he allowed to occur.

"Guided"  How far has the apple drop from the tree since 2013.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Problem is that while we all think a certain coach will be a homerun hire , truth is we really don't know. My thought of a homerun hire would be one that would generate great success with our football team. That being the case, for it to be better it has to be someone that can work within the Gus confines. Another words it has to be someone Gus has trust in and is truly willing to listen to. As much as some might wish, we can not make Gus trust someone, so he has to find that someone. Is such a person out there ? I don't know but our sake and Gus's I sure hope so. WDE

I have no idea how the 3rdgeneration sig came up, so please excuse me for that being in my comment.

33 minutes ago, WarEagle10 said:

I am starting to think Rhett left on his own. I would hope we would have sent out feelers, and had a clue who might be interested, before we told our previous OC to take a walk. It doesn't look like we have done that.

As I've said before, this has been in the works for a couple of years.  Rhett has applied for every small HC position that has come up since 2014, and has come to realize that he's not going to be able to move to the next level until he gets out from under Gus's shadow to prove himself on his own.  No one was fired... no one was run off... there is no bad blood.  This is all Rhett doing what he needs to do to further his career and Gus supporting him as he always has.

29 minutes ago, wildlife alumni said:

Of the possible candidates, who's offensive philosophy is closer to what we run now? 

In order to answer that, one would have to know who the possible candidates are... as of yet, the only people who know that are Gus, the AD, and whoever they have confided in... none of whom post here.

It'd be neat to see a list of each potential OC discussed in this thread with pro's and con's. I've come to accept the fact there is pretty slim chance that I'm going to be super happy with the outcome, but I will remain optimistic and hopeful.

6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

As I've said before, this has been in the works for a couple of years.  Rhett has applied for every small HC position that has come up since 2014, and has come to realize that he's not going to be able to move to the next level until he gets out from under Gus's shadow to prove himself on his own.  No one was fired... no one was run off... there is no bad blood.  This is all Rhett doing what he needs to do to further his career and Gus supporting him as he always has.

wrong

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

I agree in order to move up Rhett had to fly on his own, therefore I think he left on his own. As for the new OC...Gus has always led an effective offense, it's only been slowed by lack of talent at QB. I don't think it will be an OC, who is very far from his philosophy of hurry up no huddle, with an emphasis on running the ball and play action passing. 

9 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

No one was fired... no one was run off... 

He was not fired but he was essentially run off. There was going to be offensive staff movement specifically involving Rhett had UConn not come along at the 11th hour & got him out of AU.

6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Ok phan... lay it out... let us all know exactly what happened and your solid sources for said info...

Mock him all you want but the connecteds on the board you & many on here have respect for have the same info.

Theory as good (and bad) as any...

The hire will he an NFL QB coach, probably currently still in the playoffs or JUST got expelled from said playoffs.

His job as OC will be (not necessarily in this order) to #1: develop the QB, #2: develop a sophisticated passing attack to go along with Gus' already solid run game.

I don't think that there's much wrong with the run game that a solid passing attack, to compliment it, can't fix.

I have pointed out and posted hints for months lots of thinks allowed the dots to be connected to prove what i was told early in the season after Gus had his who is that guy press conference 

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Ok phan... lay it out... let us all know exactly what happened and your solid sources for said info...

Looks like Jeff hacked Lion's account...Couldn't resist.

Just now, auburnphan said:

ok dumba@@, like i would give you my source, maybe if you didn't act like a jerk i would have pm-ed you what i know.

I don't want to get in a pissing match, but just to be clear... you were the one who responded to my post with the single word "wrong". I don't know how anyone could take that as less than a rude and aggressive move. Then you responded by calling me a dumbass. I, on the other hand, said nothing derogatory about you and only requested that if you are going to make such blunt comments that you back them up.

So I ask you... who's acting like a jerk?

My guy took the family on vacation this last weekend, so I have nothing new to offer on where this thing is going, but I can assure you there was a plan in place for a long time and that got destroyed by administration

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Looks like Jeff hacked Lion's account...Couldn't resist.

Have to say, E... I'm hurt by that comment.  I didn't call anyone names, site any incomplete data or quote any unproven talking points. 

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I don't want to get in a pissing match, but just to be clear... you were the one who responded to my post with the single word "wrong". I don't know how anyone could take that as less than a rude and aggressive move. Then you responded by calling me a dumbass. I, on the other hand, said nothing derogatory about you and only requested that if you are going to make such blunt comments that you back them up.

Steve Martin?

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Your post came across highly mockative. You are right on 1 thing though. Whether phan intended it that way or not, 1 word "wrong" posts do come across as abrassive.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

huh?

when he was all" I screwed up and I got to do a better job "   etc.   When he got a talking to basically, and we didn't get the standard Gus after game coach speak

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

My guy took the family on vacation this last weekend, so I have nothing new to offer on where this thing is going, but I can assure you there was a plan in place for a long time and that got destroyed by administration

Why did they destroy it?  Did they previously agree to it and then go back on their word?  That's either an AD or Coach who doesn't know how to work an idea up the chain of command...or an admin that is deceitful.

You think we find anything out today?  Last week Cole C seemed to think we'd know something by Monday.

Whether Rhett was run off or left to further his coaching career really doesn't matter.  The fact that he is gone and Gus seems to approve, goes to the feeling that Gus has taken a step in the right direction for Gus' evolution as a head coach.  The mystery is who Gus will hire and it is entertaining to see us speculate who that may be without knowledge of Gus' thoughts.

I hope everything works out, should be a very entertaining Spring.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Have to say, E... I'm hurt by that comment.  I didn't call anyone names, site any incomplete data or quote any unproven talking points. 

Says the guy that claimed SW leads the SEC in YPA based on half a season of stats. You make it so easy...

Ands it's "cite."

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Steve Martin?

Well I'm gonna to go then! And I don't need any of this. I don't need this stuff, and I don't need *you*. I don't need anything. Just this ashtray... And this paddle game. - The ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need... And this remote control. - The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that's all I need... And these matches. - The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control, and the paddle ball... And this lamp. - The ashtray, this paddle game, and the remote control, and the lamp, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The paddle game and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches for sure.  - And this. That's all I need.

Archived